Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Oct 21, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

I was taught by my Dad.

I had one official lesson from an instructor. It was on the morning of my test.

I passed.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Dh taught me, before my first test went out 2/3 times with BSM (Tesco vouchers). Didn’t pass until my 3rd time but just went out in my own wee run around xxso yes, he could do it xx
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Angcap
Getting Excited

I don’t think it’s quite so much having lessons but having time on the road.
I took all my girls out we met: runaway dogs, skittish horses, milk tankers in roads WAY to small for them, lost alpaca (I kid you not) wide load vehicles (squeaky bum moment!) and drunken lads in a shopping trolley. That’s not to mention all the people who indicate one way and turn another and don’t get me started on people on roundabouts who just don’t get it.
It’s more about assessing what other drivers will do not how you drive.
Angcap is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Glyndsey
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

I would say let him try his way if your happy to take him out in your car, if he fails win for you as proves your right he should have had lessons, if he passes win also as you don't pay a fortune for lessons.
Glyndsey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Danex
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by dismamx2 View Post
Or pressing the imaginary brake on the passenger side lol
My daughter has been driving for 6 years now and I still do this when I’m in the car with her 🤣
Danex is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Irishlass
Apprentice Imagineer

Well everyday is most definitely a learning day. I honestly thought you had to have at least 25 lessons under your belt before taking the test. Don't even know where I got the idea of 25 lessons from

I thought I remembered a huge outcry here a few years ago because they were trying to increase the amount of lessons/hours that had to be taken before doing the test:

Would now love to know what that outcry was really about now

Good luck to your son if he does go ahead with it. Let us know how he does!
Irishlass is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Sitron
slightly serious Dibber

I would suggest only letting him take a driving test once you can sit in the passenger seat with him driving and you feel safe.

An examiner will end a test early if they feel a candidate is unfit to take a test.

I would at the very least ask him to take a couple of lessons with a driving instructor to assess his ability to drive, learn the route etc and also in order to use the car for the test (and the dual controls). My brother in law took his test not long after his 17th birthday having driven on private land since he was 15 and passed.
Sitron is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 11:35 PM  
Link to this Post
force ten
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
l passed my test in the early eighties and was pretty much self taught l drove many miles with a qualified driver sat with me but they had no idea how to teach me to drive.

when l thought it was time to take the test l had two lessons with a qualified instructor and that was basically to learn test course and iron out any bad habits that i had picked up

l passed first time and spent £12.00 on two lessons
force ten is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 21, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Sally42
Imagineer

I was taken out by my mum and dad for a few months when I was 17. My dad had a Volvo and my mum a Mini so could swap easily from one to another.
I booked 4 lessons and after the first, my instructor said to apply for my test. In all, I had 4 lessons and passed first time.
He may not need many but that will only show once he’s had one!
Sally42 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 21, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
riversider2014
Apprentice Imagineer

On a complete tangent for mode of transport but a friends work colleague bought himself a top of the range PC during lockdown and a flight simulator with all the required gubbins to play it.

Long story short he only required a couple of actual lessons in a plane to pass his test. Obviously needs to get his hours in now in the real thing but saved himself a fortune.

Edit. Obviously a light aircraft, he’s not swanning around in a 737😊

March 2015 - http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=865148
riversider2014 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List