Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Oct 21, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
SleepingBeauty
Imagineer

This is taking me on a trip down memory lane. My dad gave me the basics. My actual driver's test consisted of a few questions, a drive around a (small) block and pulling into a parking spot.

They can't make it too difficult here to drive here or life would end.

(I'm an American.)
SleepingBeauty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 21, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 2point View Post
I was taught by my Dad.

I had one official lesson from an instructor. It was on the morning of my test.

I passed.
Me too, but the was 1986 🤦🤷 common sense and roundabout rules have changed since then, you can now use anylane as long as you indicate🤦 so when the twonks are next to you in the wrong lane and indicate, without looking and hit you, its now a knock for knock claim.
Ask me how i know !
Old 21 Oct 21, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
holidaysaver75
Imagineer

In the end, as we managed to find an instructor with a cancellation, he did go on a driving lesson. When he came back in, his first words were, “Well I’m never doing that again!” All credit to him though,after his rants about how unreasonable it was that she’d told him not to go too fast (and had the audacity to slow him with the dual controls) and to keep both hands on the wheel, it was really obvious when we next took him out (for all the bluster) that he’d really taken what she said in and was trying to apply the lessons. He was much more cautious and sensible and I barely had to say anything to him as he was making all the corrections himself. The real benefit seemed to be that he had much more respect for what he was doing and I could see the growth in maturity in his mindset.

He’s booked another lesson for her next available slot. I’m so pleased. If not, he’d have barrelled ahead and booked a test and I know how hard it would knock him to fail.

Thanks so much for the advice. I shared it with him and it helped to show that the benefits of having an instructor were about more than having control of the car.

Edited at 11:22 AM.
holidaysaver75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 22, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
holidaysaver75
Imagineer

We’ll, in the end he had three lessons, but he passed today first time with only 4 minors! So proud of him.
holidaysaver75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Mar 22, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
joshmadty
Imagineer

Mobile

We were shocked when our eldest first had driving lessons, at just how many things had changed since we had learnt to drive.
There was things we would tell our son to do…. that are now different. Deffo need a few lessons with qualified instructor who can show them how things are taught now….. not how they were taught however many years ago 😬
Old 26 Mar 22, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by State27 View Post
Ha well he certainly could in Florida!
That's an understatement! My 15 year old has her Learner's Permit already and is just waiting for her 16th birthday to take her on road test. She does have to have the permit for a year and there will be some curfew restrictions due to her age but the actual test is practically a formality. It will be in her own car and she won't have a single professional lesson. Learning in my automatic meant she only needed to worry about road placement and watching out for all the lunatics around here. She is actually a very good driver but wouldn't be ready to drive in the UK!

A woman at the DMV told me she often has to pass teenagers who she doesn't actually think are ready because the test requirements are so easy .
Old 27 Mar 22, 01:10 AM  
Link to this Post
51-a- good year
Apprentice Imagineer

i learnt from solely my dad but my 2 DDs had lessons and i took them out NOT to teach them but just for practice

A professional wont teach you to drive but will teach you to pass the test -THEN you learn to drive
51-a- good year is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 22, 02:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

Well done to your son for passing. I was going to say I know a few people who never had official lessons but I would be unwilling to risk that. We did take ours out between lessons though which I think helps a lot.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 22, 05:26 AM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Originally Posted by 51-a- good year View Post
i learnt from solely my dad but my 2 DDs had lessons and i took them out NOT to teach them but just for practice

A professional wont teach you to drive but will teach you to pass the test -THEN you learn to drive
Sorry that really annoys me as a driving instructor. I don't just teach people just to get in a car just to pass a test. Such a bad cliche that has no basis in facts only perception.

Edited at 08:23 AM.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 22, 06:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

My dad taught me I had two lessons before the test and passed first time this was 1987, I di my bike test around 2000 and this test was far harder than the driving test.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List