Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Oct 21, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
irnjaw
Very Serious Dibber

Is there really such a great downside to having two separate bookings for the four of us? I don't mind the idea, but am I missing something? Of course, I'd rather make the saving by using the voucher for 2 adult fares but it doesn't sound like it's going to be possible for us.

First trip to Florida: June 2013
First family trip: Disney Oct 2019
Latest family trip to Florida: Treasure Island, Universal October 2022
irnjaw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 21, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by irnjaw View Post
Is there really such a great downside to having two separate bookings for the four of us? I don't mind the idea, but am I missing something? Of course, I'd rather make the saving by using the voucher for 2 adult fares but it doesn't sound like it's going to be possible for us.
Apart from the extra cost of the adult cash fare, which is unavoidable, the downside risks are there, but either manageable or low probability of a problem.

The main inconvenience is around seat selection. You can ask for the bookings to be linked and you might get the bookings seated together, but it's not guaranteed. BA only guarantees combined seating privileges on separate bookings if somebody travelling has BA Gold or higher status. If you don't mind being split into 2x2, it's not an issue.

The other potential risk (not to scaremonger, as it is unlikely to be an issue, but it's there), is that in the event of overbookings, flight delays and cancellations etc on the day, it's not guaranteed that the 2 separate bookings would be treated together, i.e. there is a very small risk that you could end up on different flights. This wouldn't prevent me from having separate bookings if I had to, given the low risk of it happening, but just something to be aware of. Again, linking bookings might help, but not guaranteed.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 21, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
irnjaw
Very Serious Dibber

Sitting together isn't a huge requirement, but it would be nice obviously. Is there additional costs for linking the bookings?

As we're flying from Glasgow, I believe that we will have access to book our seats slightly earlier for the LGW-TPA flight than the people flying direct from London. I hope I'm right on that one. So I am in with a shout of getting the middle row of 4 for us all together. The return leg isn't such a big deal as we'll hopefully be sleeping most of it anyway.

irnjaw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 21, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

No cost to link bookings, but you will probably have to call to do it (maybe they would do via online chat or Twitter DM, don’t know).

Yes, as long as GLA-LGW-TPA is booked as a through ticket for each person, with a connection time less than 24 hours between flights, you will be able to select seats and check in for both flights when online checkin opens for the first flight. This assumes you are not on basic economy tickets (the Avios tickets will not be basic economy, if in economy cabin).

Edited at 08:42 AM.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 21, 09:03 AM  
Link to this Post
irnjaw
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks very much for all the info Peko 😁

Old 21 Oct 21, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Just an additional general point, not specific to your booking circumstances.

With the current requirements around documentation, it’s possible you will not be able to complete checkin online unless you can upload all the documentation online or via a verification app (VeriFLY in BA’s case).

That has been the situation for me in flights taken this year on BA. I don’t know if it would affect ability to select seats when checkin opens, since I can select seats at any time without paying.
Old 21 Oct 21, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Stevelovesfl
Excited about Disney

I'm about 68000 Avios short for that approach I'm afraid, that was my initial plan :/
Any chance of getting a new Amex either you or your partner via refer a friend as there are some good sign up bonuses so you should be able to reach your required target?
Stevelovesfl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 21, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Bal
Imagineer

Mobile

Not really. We’ve done two separate bookings because of this. Slightly annoying you have to log in to two different bookings. But you can still select your seats together etc.
Bal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 21, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Bal
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Peko View Post
No cost to link bookings, but you will probably have to call to do it (maybe they would do via online chat or Twitter DM, don’t know).

Yes, as long as GLA-LGW-TPA is booked as a through ticket for each person, with a connection time less than 24 hours between flights, you will be able to select seats and check in for both flights when online checkin opens for the first flight. This assumes you are not on basic economy tickets (the Avios tickets will not be basic economy, if in economy cabin).
They can do a “Complete Party” note on their system if same booking type (cash / Avios etc) same flight and same cabin class etc. I’m in that process currently. Combine booking is only available to Gold or above.
Bal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 21, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
irnjaw
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Stevelovesfl View Post
Any chance of getting a new Amex either you or your partner via refer a friend as there are some good sign up bonuses so you should be able to reach your required target?
We already have a card each and we're already 2nd card holders on each other's accounts :/ I've referred a friend too but she seems slow on the uptake