Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Oct 21, 12:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney Dizzy
Very Serious Dibber

Restrictive covenant in house deeds

I hope someone can help me.

I’ve just had a loft extension and foolishly only remembered after the fact that we have a restrictive covenant in our house deeds. We have to get permission from original builders. House was built in 1930s. Previously we have obtained retrospective consent to other work we have done so I was hoping to get the same.

I called the telephone number from previous letters and spoke to a lady who said that they had sold the company. I asked her for details of the new company and she just told me to check Companies House. I have tried to search for info and all I can see is the company name - or similar - at a slightly different address.

I have two neighbours who have also had loft extensions so I’m hoping when I do get hold of someone retrospective consent will be given

So, my question is - after that long intro - how can I find out who the new owners are?

I know if no one has told me to revert the house back to its original state after 12 months I can get an indemnity policy but I’d much rather get consent. I’m so annoyed with myself for not remembering before starting the work!

Thanks
2013 - OKW - 20th Anniversary
2019 - 4 week Big Birthday Bonanza
Disney Dizzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 21, 07:59 AM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

Would your council planning department have those details?

Edited at 08:04 AM.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 21, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by sam7 View Post
Would your council planning department have those details?
No they absolutely wouldn’t.

OP it isn’t totally clear from your post but if you were told that the beneficiary to the covenant has been sold and you can see the address for the company in companies house has changed then surely all you need to do is write to the company at the new address. Please do be aware that if you contact the beneficiary then you would be unable to insure should they refuse yo give retrospective consent b
vhm672 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 21, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Honestly, I would do absolutely nothing and sit tight.
We have a similar situation with the house we have not long bought. It has a strange old lease, and an absentee leaseholder. No one has paid ground rent in donkeys years.

I was really worried but I spoke to my solicitor who said it’s really common. His advice was ‘if you want to extend just do it and I’ll sort you out a indemnity if/when you sell’
Old 22 Oct 21, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Dizzy
Very Serious Dibber

Thank you for your replies. I’m very tempted to just sit tight. But I hate the worry - although I probably will chance it 😉
2013 - OKW - 20th Anniversary
2019 - 4 week Big Birthday Bonanza
Disney Dizzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 21, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

If it helps, when we bought our house, the purchasers needed to buy a number of indemnities - 2 extensions with no apparent building control, no Fensa for windows or doors and a feee standing garage with no permission from a missing leaseholder. I think it cost about £400 for all of that. When we left our house we had a non Fensa door and the indemnity cost us £50.
meboo is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List