Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 8 Sep 19, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
Most Americans will add it to their credit card charge!
Can you see that?
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 19, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
SgtElias
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Obviously not, the scenarios I was talking about happened where the bill was being paid in cash, hopefully that clears that up !
SgtElias is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 19, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SgtElias View Post
Obviously not, the scenarios I was talking about happened where the bill was being paid in cash, hopefully that clears that up !
Sorry I was asking Donna as she seemed to know that most add it to their credit card, she must have good eyes
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 19, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by MadHatter1 View Post
It's started to get a bit confused. We stand in line, get to the counter, place our orders and then asked if we would like to tip.

How would I know? I haven't been served by anyone or even seen the meal/drink yet, I haven't even found a table.
Its redefining what a service is. If I go into a shop and buy say a top. Does the fact that the assistant puts it in a bag and rings up the till to process my money equally equate to a service? I believe it does but that I will not be tipping them either.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 19, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
jocesk
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

It’s frankly ridiculous and a lot of people on this forum are blindly accepting In some cases 25% suggested tips...even at buffets on site where prices are sky high!
jocesk is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 19, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Rebelrebel View Post
Sorry I was asking Donna as she seemed to know that most add it to their credit card, she must have good eyes
I grew up in the US and all my family live here. If the vast majority of Americans didn't tip, restaurants would find it impossible to hire wait staff.
Old 8 Sep 19, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
jocesk
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I grew up in the US and all my family live here. If the vast majority of Americans didn't tip, restaurants would find it impossible to hire wait staff.
They wouldn’t if they paid a proper wage. People always say if they increase wages instead of tips then food prices would go up but I don’t see a huge difference in food prices in USA compared with anywhere else.

Personally I think it’s a backward guilt ridden system... if they don’t make tips their company has to top up their salary anyway...but anyway not my country and not really my business
jocesk is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 19, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

I have just read on touring plans that 18 percent is minimum expectated now at table service

I work with a woman from New Orleans and we were having a discussion about tipping.
She surprised me when she said she doesn’t tip in the uk at all, no matter how good the service is as they have a living wage
aqualiv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 19, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
SgtElias
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Originally Posted by aqualiv View Post
I have just read on touring plans that 18 percent is minimum expectated now at table service

I work with a woman from New Orleans and we were having a discussion about tipping.
She surprised me when she said she doesn’t tip in the uk at all, no matter how good the service is as they have a living wage
My daughters work in a very busy pub that does food, they are lucky enough to have been to USA a number of times and are aware of the tipping culture, but they are always surprised that Americans who eat at the place they work very rarely tip
SgtElias is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 19, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Aha I see now, you have a lot of knowledge regarding the American culture then I presume. I was just puzzled why you asked the other poster how they knew but you already know. Never mind it is late and I am tired and got easily confused as I'm trying to watch the Open Final too.