General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 10 Aug 17, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Another getting lost tale, from our most recent trip, cos I'm feeling self indulgent and feel like I want to talk about it! Plus it's got books so I feel you will be interested!

We went to the NYC library and it is amazing! Totally amazing. certainly deserves a double thumbs-up and if I were the sort of person who could re-arrange the itinerary on the fly we would have stayed longer as 3 hours in the morning was not enough. Have you been there? Do you plan on visiting on your trip? It is a beautiful building, with beautiful rooms we loved it. When we first arrived both kids needed to use the facilities and they are not next to each other. Boys had to go upstairs while the girls went downstairs. As we were in a little of a hurry we didn't agree where to meet... ... mistake number 1. We decided that it would be sensible to go back to the last place we'd seen each other, you would think this would result in a reunion, it's a good rule, but...the last place we'd seen each other was right outside the gift shop, and oh it's a lovely gift shop with lovely notebooks and guide books and fiction books and nick nacks...and DD and myself could not resist entering said gift shop and well you can imagine we were lost for a little while. We tore ourselves away after what felt an incredibly short time, but apparently was considerably longer than we imagined. We couldn't see the boys outside the gift shop so returned to the ladies and there was DS perched on the edge of a statue. He said we had to wait as DH was currently running back up stairs to the top to see if we'd made it to the mensroom. We were not the most popular twosome for a few minutes.

I'm sure you already know it's a lovely place to visit, I really thought it was beautiful and would highly recommend it even to non-readers. The map room was brilliant. All of it was brilliant.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 17, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Another getting lost tale, from our most recent trip, cos I'm feeling self indulgent and feel like I want to talk about it! Plus it's got books so I feel you will be interested!

We went to the NYC library and it is amazing! Totally amazing. certainly deserves a double thumbs-up and if I were the sort of person who could re-arrange the itinerary on the fly we would have stayed longer as 3 hours in the morning was not enough. Have you been there? Do you plan on visiting on your trip? It is a beautiful building, with beautiful rooms we loved it. When we first arrived both kids needed to use the facilities and they are not next to each other. Boys had to go upstairs while the girls went downstairs. As we were in a little of a hurry we didn't agree where to meet... ... mistake number 1. We decided that it would be sensible to go back to the last place we'd seen each other, you would think this would result in a reunion, it's a good rule, but...the last place we'd seen each other was right outside the gift shop, and oh it's a lovely gift shop with lovely notebooks and guide books and fiction books and nick nacks...and DD and myself could not resist entering said gift shop and well you can imagine we were lost for a little while. We tore ourselves away after what felt an incredibly short time, but apparently was considerably longer than we imagined. We couldn't see the boys outside the gift shop so returned to the ladies and there was DS perched on the edge of a statue. He said we had to wait as DH was currently running back up stairs to the top to see if we'd made it to the mensroom. We were not the most popular twosome for a few minutes.

I'm sure you already know it's a lovely place to visit, I really thought it was beautiful and would highly recommend it even to non-readers. The map room was brilliant. All of it was brilliant.
We are ABSOLUTELY planning on visiting the main library - and not just because it's free.

But oh, dear - it never feels good to be the one in the wrong, does it? No chance of convincing hubby that the shop was the LOGICAL place to look for two women...

Just down from the library is my favourite NY boutique hotel - The Library Hotel. Every room is themed to a different genre of fiction - or a bit of the Dewey Decimal System. So if you have room 579 - then it's themed to micro-organisms and fungi - and there will be books on that topic on the bookshelf - and the art will complement the theme - I just love it.

But the last time I stayed what room did I get?

Eastern Philosophy - all the books were about ZEN. It was like they were MOCKING me.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 17, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
We are ABSOLUTELY planning on visiting the main library - and not just because it's free.

But oh, dear - it never feels good to be the one in the wrong, does it? No chance of convincing hubby that the shop was the LOGICAL place to look for two women...

Just down from the library is my favourite NY boutique hotel - The Library Hotel. Every room is themed to a different genre of fiction - or a bit of the Dewey Decimal System. So if you have room 579 - then it's themed to micro-organisms and fungi - and there will be books on that topic on the bookshelf - and the art will complement the theme - I just love it.

But the last time I stayed what room did I get?

Eastern Philosophy - all the books were about ZEN. It was like they were MOCKING me.
That sounds like the best hotel ever! Amazing. perhaps it was a subtle hint to consult your inner calm.

Again probably something you have considered but we moved on from NYC public library to Grand Central Station. This was also beautiful and we ate in the food court in the basement. This was something I read in Moosha's excellent trippie. DD had a curry, DS had pizza and DH said he would have whatever I wanted as it was all a bit confusing so we had tacos. Which, now I write it, does that sound a bit familiar? Perhaps they were separated at birth. We definitely don't have any French cousins though, unless I've just never been introduced...he had a grandfather who was French Canadian...

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 17, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post

That sounds like the best hotel ever! Amazing. perhaps it was a subtle hint to consult your inner calm.

Again probably something you have considered but we moved on from NYC public library to Grand Central Station. This was also beautiful and we ate in the food court in the basement. This was something I read in Moosha's excellent trippie. DD had a curry, DS had pizza and DH said he would have whatever I wanted as it was all a bit confusing so we had tacos. Which, now I write it, does that sound a bit familiar? Perhaps they were separated at birth. We definitely don't have any French cousins though, unless I've just never been introduced...he had a grandfather who was French Canadian...
Not so subtle, thought I...

Too funny - I just DO NOT get what is so confusing about fast food/food courts!

Before Poot was born, we were in Minnesota on holiday - and R.C. needed a new pair of winter boots. So we went to Gander Mountain - where you pull the boxes off the shelves yourself.

Well, unsurprisingly, *one of us* did not like that - and R.C.'s remark to me at that moment has gone down in the annals...

"I don't like it - I want to go to Nordstrom!"

So OF COURSE, any time either Poot, DM, D-Bro or I don't like something - that's what we say - especially if we can say it in front of R.C.

And he just LOVES it!

We did go to Nordstrom, by the way - where we payed $20 more for the EXACT SAME BOOTS. Grr.
Old 11 Aug 17, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

I must be scum! I love shops where all the shoe boxes are on the shelves, it's much more relaxing to browse at your own leisure and not have an assistant hovering over your shoulder... 'Do you need any help?' Then there's the anxious wait for them to come back and tell you that you don't have the shoes you want in your size, but you feel like you have to buy something, so you end up with a pair you only kind of like.

Abby, Day 11 is next up for me to read, so looks as though you're all caught up now. I am very conscious that I am running out of days.

I love the Library too, a beautiful building. We don't plan our NYC trips too much Our first visit we were just out strolling and came across the library by accident. There was a A.A. Milne exhibition on during one of our visits, I do like to combine my Disney and NYC loves. Grand Central is a favourite of ours too. We like to eat at Juniors there as it's much quieter than the 'real' one.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 17, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
I'm with you all the way Collette. There's nothing more likely to make me feel pressured into buying shoes, or any other item which doesn't suit me, than a "helpful" sales assistant. Somehow once I've tried the shoes on, regardless of whether I think I like them, if the sales assistant went out back to find the other half of the pair then I can't bring myself to say no thank you. so shops where you self serve and pull the box out like a massive game of jenga are the best!

Ooh I didn't know you'd been to NYC too. This was our first time so I itinerised the heck out of it. We went to the Junior's just off Times Square. It was yummy.

I'm planning on doing a food trip report. I can't remember if I said that on this thread already, sorry if I'm repeating myself, but I'll tell you the story anyway . On the drive to the airport hotel I asked DH if he minded me taking the photos and he said it was fine. Our first meal in the Mercure hotel the night before the flight he got a bit...angsty...and said I looked ridiculous taking photos of each plate. I've downloaded all the photos and we've got more than 700! I even took photos of receipts and menus in some places. But, all the photos were taken with my phone so they are not the best quality plus lots of them are quite blurry, I think in my haste I wasn't very steady. Each photo was accompanied with encouraging remarks like 'you look mental' or 'hurry up I'm starving' or 'are you finished?' which was usually followed by the plate being whipped away from me!

Anyway, enough of the excuses and caveats I haven't even started it yet!

I'm off to find the next day in DC. See you there

Old 11 Aug 17, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

We have been to NYC a few times, more than Disney actually! We came away from our last trip thinking we had had enough (so expensive!) but whenever I see New York trip reports I get goosebumps!

I am SO looking forward to your food trippie. I admire your determination, can't have been easy when you were so obviously showing everyone up! Everyone takes food pictures these days, you will not have looked 'mental'. I approve of the bill and menu photos, IF I do a food trippie I would be keen to include them. Glad you managed it all on your phone too, I have a camera but I think it's so old that my phone one is probably superior so I was going to persevere with that.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 17, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
I must be scum! I love shops where all the shoe boxes are on the shelves, it's much more relaxing to browse at your own leisure and not have an assistant hovering over your shoulder... 'Do you need any help?' Then there's the anxious wait for them to come back and tell you that you don't have the shoes you want in your size, but you feel like you have to buy something, so you end up with a pair you only kind of like.

Abby, Day 11 is next up for me to read, so looks as though you're all caught up now. I am very conscious that I am running out of days.

I love the Library too, a beautiful building. We don't plan our NYC trips too much Our first visit we were just out strolling and came across the library by accident. There was a A.A. Milne exhibition on during one of our visits, I do like to combine my Disney and NYC loves. Grand Central is a favourite of ours too. We like to eat at Juniors there as it's much quieter than the 'real' one.
Scum!

I quite like shopping for shoes the way you do, too. Partly because I have size 8 feet (I am rather tall) and I'm tired of hearing how "huge" that is. I had a shop assistant at Russell & Bromley once say to me, "That's the same size my husband wears."

I restrained myself and didn't say, "Is it true what they say about men with little feet?"

You've reminded me that I should check what exhibition is on at the library - would have loved to see the A.A. Milne one... but with my luck it will probably be Russian Formalism, or something equally

I'm with you all the way Collette. There's nothing more likely to make me feel pressured into buying shoes, or any other item which doesn't suit me, than a "helpful" sales assistant. Somehow once I've tried the shoes on, regardless of whether I think I like them, if the sales assistant went out back to find the other half of the pair then I can't bring myself to say no thank you. so shops where you self serve and pull the box out like a massive game of jenga are the best!

Ooh I didn't know you'd been to NYC too. This was our first time so I itinerised the heck out of it. We went to the Junior's just off Times Square. It was yummy.

I'm planning on doing a food trip report. I can't remember if I said that on this thread already, sorry if I'm repeating myself, but I'll tell you the story anyway . On the drive to the airport hotel I asked DH if he minded me taking the photos and he said it was fine. Our first meal in the Mercure hotel the night before the flight he got a bit...angsty...and said I looked ridiculous taking photos of each plate. I've downloaded all the photos and we've got more than 700! I even took photos of receipts and menus in some places. But, all the photos were taken with my phone so they are not the best quality plus lots of them are quite blurry, I think in my haste I wasn't very steady. Each photo was accompanied with encouraging remarks like 'you look mental' or 'hurry up I'm starving' or 'are you finished?' which was usually followed by the plate being whipped away from me!

Anyway, enough of the excuses and caveats I haven't even started it yet!

I'm off to find the next day in DC. See you there
We're all scum together, then.

I am VERY MUCH looking forward to the food trippie. I was fortunate in that after a while Poot wanted to take all the food photos - so I got to look like an indulgent parent - rather than a complete nutter.

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
We have been to NYC a few times, more than Disney actually! We came away from our last trip thinking we had had enough (so expensive!) but whenever I see New York trip reports I get goosebumps!

I am SO looking forward to your food trippie. I admire your determination, can't have been easy when you were so obviously showing everyone up! Everyone takes food pictures these days, you will not have looked 'mental'. I approve of the bill and menu photos, IF I do a food trippie I would be keen to include them. Glad you managed it all on your phone too, I have a camera but I think it's so old that my phone one is probably superior so I was going to persevere with that.
I also love menu photos - then I don't have to Google the menu! It never occurred to me to photograph the bill...but I can see where that would be helpful as well...service charges and whatnot.
Old 18 Aug 17, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

I'm thinking you probably don't need to 'hear' every thought I have as I read your TR -- the perils of a running reply -- so this reply should be leaner. ...In theory.

I like the look (and size ) of that chocolate! Less so the ectoplasm.

Just too shady for the sunshine state! I'm a big fan of humour in politics. It stops people taking themselves too seriously and helps put things in perspective.

There was a programme on TV a couple of years ago where they gave the presenter access to their baby pandas programme. Baby pandas are exceptionally cute! Toddler pandas, too. Bearing in mind their appeal, I don't understand pandas' reluctance to reproduce and enjoy their popularity on earth more. They even get private security, for heaven's sake!

The poor keeper...but she was rescued by a BIG African American guy, who said, “I’ll tell you what kind of zoo this ain’t, lady - it ain’t no PETTING zoo.”

One member of our party (me) might have let out a little BARK of laughter, others (with better manners) just chuckled. The strokers stomped off, indignant. ...

I may have mentioned today that I think I need to carry a notepad and pen around with me so I can give certain people notes!

Just when I thought I couldn't like Poot more (you know what I mean), he's singing in reptile houses! With goths. In that hat. I'm intrigued to know how you have influenced him to sing with the snakes?

Never met a stranger, that boy. This is one of the best sentences I have read on The Dibb.

((((((Hmmm... How lean is this so far! ))))))

So, RC is the flight risk? Not what I expected! Do you think he was looking for the exits in the Target stores? I don't know why he would, but you have mentioned his aversion to shopping.

I toyed with the idea of letting him. ... You made me LOL again!

(in my head I was adding what we WOULD have spent on a restaurant meal to the money I had allocated to my Target shop). ... And again! I like the way you think.

Poot is a fount of interesting information and stories. I'd never heard the story about the salamander before. ... That cardinal is beautiful. We don't have such colourful birds over here. ... Poot is also an expert at finding cash lying around. Not enough for the Hope Diamond, though.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside

Edited at 07:19 PM.
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 17, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
I'm thinking you probably don't need to 'hear' every thought I have as I read your TR -- the perils of a running reply -- so this reply should be leaner. ...In theory.

I like the look (and size ) of that chocolate! Less so the ectoplasm.

Oh, American yogurt. Just - though I did find ONE this year that I would describe as "palatable". So look out for this one on your next trip abroad:

Just too shady for the sunshine state! I'm a big fan of humour in politics. It stops people taking themselves too seriously and helps put things in perspective.

I'd like more"Ma! Ma! Where's my pa? Gone to the White House, HA HA HA!"

There was a programme on TV a couple of years ago where they gave the presenter access to their baby pandas programme. Baby pandas are exceptionally cute! Toddler pandas, too. Bearing in mind their appeal, I don't understand pandas' reluctance to reproduce and enjoy their popularity on earth more. They even get private security, for heaven's sake!

I think I'm going to have t-shirts printed for Poot and I that say "Panda Bouncer". He'll wear whatever's in his drawer, and they would amuse me.

The poor keeper...but she was rescued by a BIG African American guy, who said, “I’ll tell you what kind of zoo this ain’t, lady - it ain’t no PETTING zoo.”

One member of our party (me) might have let out a little BARK of laughter, others (with better manners) just chuckled. The strokers stomped off, indignant. ...

I may have mentioned today that I think I need to carry a notepad and pen around with me so I can give certain people notes!

Before I married R.C., I lived in a city and didn't have a garage - and I had to carry a little notebook so that I could leave notes whenever visitors to my neighbourhood parked accidentally (or accidentally on purpose :angry: ) in my parking space. It never occurred to me to use it for the moral/ethical education of my fellow citizens!

Just when I thought I couldn't like Poot more (you know what I mean), he's singing in reptile houses! With goths. In that hat. I'm intrigued to know how you have influenced him to sing with the snakes?

Ahh...my influence...hmm. Let's just say it annoys DH that I am so chatty with strangers. When we got married I couldn't believe he didn't know the postie's name (Malcolm) - or the garbage man's name (I'll keep that one secret since he's still our garbage man ). There's little enough joy in the world - why not make some where you can?

Never met a stranger, that boy. This is one of the best sentences I have read on The Dibb.

Thank you - that is quite a compliment.

((((((Hmmm... How lean is this so far! ))))))

So, RC is the flight risk? Not what I expected! Do you think he was looking for the exits in the Target stores? I don't know why he would, but you have mentioned his aversion to shopping.

He...just...wanders. :angry: And no-one believes me until they see it for themselves. My neighbour (who saw him do it this year on St. George's Day) was gobsmacked. "I can't believe he just EXPECTS you to find him!"

Me neither. But I try not to take it too personally. He's just an absent-minded professor-type. There's no malice in him.

I toyed with the idea of letting him. ... You made me LOL again!

(in my head I was adding what we WOULD have spent on a restaurant meal to the money I had allocated to my Target shop). ... And again! I like the way you think.

Poot is a fount of interesting information and stories. I'd never heard the story about the salamander before. ... That cardinal is beautiful. We don't have such colourful birds over here. ... Poot is also an expert at finding cash lying around. Not enough for the Hope Diamond, though.

Poot replies:

Thank you. I read the story about the salamander in "Ranger Rick". It's an American children's magazine.

The cardinal was beautiful, but not as beautiful as the purple finch we saw at the Botanic Garden (later).

The largest amount of cash I've ever found on the ground was a $20 bill at the Minnesota State Fair. That was GREAT! I spent it all on books.

I like your idea of "lean". I have replied in the (fab) quote.