Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 12 Sep 17, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Trip
Being a bit Goofy

Tampa Bay Lightning - NHL - Any tips?

Looking for any advice from anyone that's been to watch the Lightning play in Tampa... massive hockey fan and will be attending one of the pre season matches in a few weeks.

Any tips on parking? What time to arrive etc.?

Anything welcome to make the most out of it!
Trip is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 17, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Gwilspeed
slightly serious Dibber

We did this a few years ago, loads of paid parking so no problem there.

Think we got there about 1 1/2 hours before the game started, loads of fans hanging round enjoying a drink outside great atmosphere.

Disneyland 05, 15 / NYC,11,16 / Vegas 07,15
Gwilspeed is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 17, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
nordictat2girl
Imagineer

I took my husband and father in law to their first game. They loved it.
My husband wanted to take home one of those lightning machines that go off when Tampa makes a goal lol. Pretty cool..I must say
Although the Philly Flyers are my *home* team..I also like the Tampa Bay.
We went a few hrs earlier. Had a beer at a nearby pub and then walked to the arena. They had a band playing classic rock on a stage out front as well as beer tents. Everyone was having a great time.

As we were in Tampa for the night we just took Uber but there is plenty of parking around so won't be an issue.

You will surely have fun. Enjoy

Edited at 05:31 PM.
nordictat2girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 17, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Trip
Being a bit Goofy

Sounds awesome, thanks for the replies! I can't wait!
Trip is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 17, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
As you drive down the road towards the rink, there are parking lots on both sides of the road increasing in cost as you get closer. We were going past them all heading for the official multi-story car park to be safe, but there was an accident and the police were waving everyone past. We had 2 choices, go all the way back around the one-way system, or park in the last remaining lot for a higher price. We opted for the higher price, $30, but we were literally on the other side of the road from the arena. Had about a 1 minute walk! First in the car on the way out too so got away quickly.

Last time we went it took ages to get in, due to the security checks, so make sure you leave plenty of time.

There was a live band playing in Thunder Alley and the cheerleaders came out and did a couple of routines, so the queuing was OK

We combined our game with a trip to Busch Gardens, was there all day til 5:00 when the park closed, then drove to the arena, about 10-15 minutes
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 17, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Trip
Being a bit Goofy

Originally Posted by grant_w View Post
As you drive down the road towards the rink, there are parking lots on both sides of the road increasing in cost as you get closer. We were going past them all heading for the official multi-story car park to be safe, but there was an accident and the police were waving everyone past. We had 2 choices, go all the way back around the one-way system, or park in the last remaining lot for a higher price. We opted for the higher price, $30, but we were literally on the other side of the road from the arena. Had about a 1 minute walk! First in the car on the way out too so got away quickly.

Last time we went it took ages to get in, due to the security checks, so make sure you leave plenty of time.

There was a live band playing in Thunder Alley and the cheerleaders came out and did a couple of routines, so the queuing was OK

We combined our game with a trip to Busch Gardens, was there all day til 5:00 when the park closed, then drove to the arena, about 10-15 minutes
Awesome, thanks for the info, most likely head to the closer car parks then and leave plenty of time to watch... I mean wait in line

Where abouts did you sit? I'm thinking either the 1st or 2nd level of seating, some where between the blue lines and centre ice...
Old 15 Sep 17, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Redsox77
Very Serious Dibber

It's one of my favourite nights out and we try and do a couple of games each visit. As people have said, leave plenty of time to get there, find somewhere to park up and enjoy the atmosphere.
Only on one occasion was parking a problem. We were later getting there when Tampa Bay were playing another Florida team and we just couldn't find anywhere to park (we usually park in the convention centre - easy to get to and $10 for the night). We drove round and round and eventually I found a spot on a side street and used up all my change in a pay meter then spent the night panicking I wouldn't get back to the car before the meter run out.

Game ticket prices are a little high for me at the moment - I'm really into it so like a good seat with a great view on the lower tier. I know if I bide my time then i'll get a good price. Also, may need to choose a night when not so popular teams are playing. Love the whole evening and the audience participation and banter between rival teams. Enjoy!
Redsox77 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 17, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Trip
Being a bit Goofy

Originally Posted by Redsox77 View Post
It's one of my favourite nights out and we try and do a couple of games each visit. As people have said, leave plenty of time to get there, find somewhere to park up and enjoy the atmosphere.
Only on one occasion was parking a problem. We were later getting there when Tampa Bay were playing another Florida team and we just couldn't find anywhere to park (we usually park in the convention centre - easy to get to and $10 for the night). We drove round and round and eventually I found a spot on a side street and used up all my change in a pay meter then spent the night panicking I wouldn't get back to the car before the meter run out.

Game ticket prices are a little high for me at the moment - I'm really into it so like a good seat with a great view on the lower tier. I know if I bide my time then i'll get a good price. Also, may need to choose a night when not so popular teams are playing. Love the whole evening and the audience participation and banter between rival teams. Enjoy!
Thanks for the info! I'll only be around the for pre seasons games but hopefully it will still be an experience!
Old 15 Oct 17, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Ah you will love it!
We went to a pre season game a couple of weeks back and it was so much fun (also helped by the tickets only costing $9 each! ) But still such a great atmosphere!
We drove down and went to the tampa outlets first which were nice some better deals than the orlando outlets and much quieter.
Then we headed to the stadium about an hour before the game managed to park in the multistorey literally opposite the stadium for $12 (not sure if this was cheaper due to it being a friendly or if this is the standard price). We did worry we would be gridlocked getting out but was completely fine!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 17, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

We were also sat just to the right of the bar / entertainment/music guy so seats were quite high up but thought being higher up was better ask you can see the whole game and take in the full atmosphere!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List