General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 3 Sep 17, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
parkgirl
VIP Dibber

parkgirl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 14
Take me out to the ball game - Go Yankees!

I never seem organised enough to do a full trip report, but wanted to share some of our recent trip to New York. The highlight for me was the game we saw at Yankee Stadium.

I had originally planned this for my DHs birthday. We wanted to go with our 2 dd, and my FIL and my nephew also decided to join us at the match. My MIL and SIL stayed around the hotel for the evening.

So to give you a little background, I bought the tickets through ticketmaster.com. We could have had $20 tickets but didn't fancy a night on the bleachers so decided to pay a bit more ($34). We were able to see the view from the seats on the Yankee website, so were happy with our cheapie seats.

We decided to travel on the subway to Yankee Stadium. We got on at Grand central/42nd St. The game as on at 7pm so planned to get the subway around 5:15pm. I had forgotten that Friday night travel in New York was as busy as any other rush hour city! We crushed onto a 4 train and held on for dear life!

We arrived at 161st station about 20 mins later.

The atmosphere was electric, the place was full of street sellers trying to get us to buy water, hats, t shirts etc. We declined and headed over the road to the stadium.

There was a full security check - my dd15 had her deodorant taken from her (not sure why she took it with her?). It was well run, and the long line soon disappeared. We were told we could go in at any gate - we went for the closest.

On entering we looked at the stalls - programs were $10 and foam hands $10.80. Those big eyes worked a treat and my dd6 got her foam finger!

There was a photographer there taking 'photopass' photos! They get everywhere! We obliged and were told we could view them about 20mins later.

We headed in to find our seats. Up in the lift to level 3. There were plenty of fast food eateries on that level. Burgers, hotdogs, veggie burgers, chicken...and lots of beer stands! We found our seats and could get over the view.

It was Star Wars night so we had a full parade of characters. The theme went throughout the night with the opposition being dubbed storm troopers and the home side Jedi Knights!

Following the National Anthem, the game started. Now I am not a baseball expert (it's a bit like rounders isn't it) but actually I really enjoyed the game. My DH was able to tell me the bits of the game I wasn't sure of. The commentary was great, lots of music, audience participation and things that I have seen on the movies (hawkers going through the stands selling their wears).

We enjoyed our burgers and beer, the kids their coke and cotton candy!

As it happened the Yankees lost. Not many runs on the board for either them or the Mariners. But after 11 innings it was over.

We did buy the photos on the way out; a nice momento of our night. We got the subway back about 10:30pm, so were glad to get back to the hotel.

All in all it was a great experience, great for all the family! We loved it!
CSR October 2011, POFQ May 2012, POP July 2012, SSR April 2013, OKW Oct 2014, OKW July 2016, All Stars Music April 2017, OKW/BLT July 2018, All Stars Sports Oct 2019, Riviera May 2022, GFR/AKL Oct 2022, Disney 5K Riviera/copper creek 2024, SSR Aug 2024
parkgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List