Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 3 Sep 07, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post

July 2007 - Brown Derby

Brown Derby

These days we always tend to come here for lunch, but just for a change we fancied trying out dinner this time.
It does get very busy in the evening nowadays with the Fantasmic package, so I thought I’d make an adr for 7.50pm knowing that most people using the package will have already eaten a bit earlier and gone off to see the show.

We had the usually busy lobby almost to ourselves whilst we were waiting for our booth, and we noticed they were taking a number of ‘walk ups’ who were being seated immediately. So if you are in MGM without an adr, and you are not going to see Fantasmic, this should be a good time to get a table.

My planning paid off, and as I’d anticipated the restaurant was about two thirds full. There were enough people dining for a good, lively atmosphere, but it was not too noisy nor did we feel rushed in any way.
Whilst we perused the menu we ordered our Cosmopolitans. I must say, the barman here makes excellent cocktails. The drinks were very cold and perfectly mixed! We declared it the winner of the best Cosmo of the holiday – and we sampled a good few )

Paul had Goat Cheese Cremini Mushroom Tortelloni with tomato fennel nectar, green peas and Parma ham chip.
(If you are a vegetarian remember to ask them to leave off the Parma ham chip – we were too busy chatting and forgot. Whoops!)
The peas and the Parma ham chip are a new addition since we had it last, and to be honest I don’t quite know why they’ve added them. I don’t really think the dish needs them. Paul said the peas were quite nice though, and I very swiftly removed and scoffed the offending Parma ham chip myself. )
As always, the rich mushroom and cheese filled Tortelloni with concentrated tomato broth made very tasty appetizer.

I had Blue Crab Cake with potato crust, served with avocado-mustard sauce and salted green papaya "ceviche".
I thought this was one of the best appetizers ever. There was lots of crabmeat inside the crispy potato crust and I thought it paired perfectly with the tart veggies and creamy avocado sauce.
I loved every single mouthful. There was plenty there, but still I began to wish I’d ordered two portions!

Paul went on to have the veggie dish he always orders here, the Noodle Bowl with wok fried coconut tofu, soy beans, sugar snap peas, bok choy, and shiitake mushrooms in a red curry broth.
He loved it as usual.

I chose another appetizer. A Seared Sea Scallop with barbecued pork rib belly and yellow corn relish.
I know that’s probably a bit odd not choosing an entrée when there were lots of tasty dishes on offer, but I’ve really fancied trying this dish for ages and I’m jolly pleased I finally got to eat it – for it was truly delicious!

Paul had a glass of Silverado Cabernet Sauvignon and I had the Wine Flight. I do enjoy the wine flights - any excuse to sample different wines though in truth I was very familiar with the Fess Parker Chardonnay and the Silverado Cab Sauv already.
From left to right in the photo, we have MacMurray Ranch Pinot Gris, Russian River '04, Fess Parker Chardonnay, Santa Barbera '03, Marilyn Merlot, Napa Valley '04, and Silverado Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley '02.

All of the wines were very nice indeed, but the Chardonnay paired best with the food I had today.

Our server was Moses, who’d formerly worked at Animal Kingdom Lodge and was just settling in to his new position at the Brown Derby. He was an absolute sweetie – much better than the weird server we had here in January.
He paced our meal perfectly and didn’t bat an eyelid when I just ordered another appetizer instead of a main course, just commented that it was one of his favourites.

We didn’t want dessert, but Moses insisted I take home a recipe card for the infamous Grapefruit Cake (I haven’t made it yet)

We had a really enjoyable meal and I’m so pleased we chose to go for dinner rather than the lunch we usually do.
With only a couple of little hiccups throughout our many visits over the years, we’ve decided that the Brown Derby stays firmly on the list.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 07, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
gala
Imagineer

gala's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 24

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 336
What a lovely review Sue. Has the menu changed slightly from last year? I dont remember the blue crab cake. Kathryn had a crab cake appetiser but it wasnt like that. It looks soooo tasty. How I remember the scallops with belly pork. It is such an interesting combination and a marriage made in heaven.
I would have been one over the eight with two starters and all that wine!
We will definitely eat here again next year but do lunch instead. BD serves some delicious food.

Margaret
gala is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 07, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post

The new menu is here Mags - I detected a few changes since our last visit.

http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=147347

Isn't the food good? I still don't know how they get away with charging 2TS though as the cost is so reasonable.
Old 3 Sep 07, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
gala
Imagineer

gala's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
I think they charge 2 TCs as a way of putting off the masses from booking it for the Fantasmic package. I could be wrong, but I know if I had the choice it would be my first choice it were 1 TC! I think BD would be inundated if it were a 1 TC restaurant, as the other choices in MGM are so poor. It serves delicious food but you are right Sue; it isnt worth the two credits.

Margaret
gala is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 07, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post

Totally agree with your theory Mags!
Old 3 Sep 07, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
truesdpr
Imagineer

truesdpr's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Oh I love the Brown Derby - must see if we can squeeze one in! We've had lunch the last couple of times too but I do enjoy the atmosphere in the evenings. Lovely report again Su - thanks!.

Pam.
truesdpr is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 07, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Maz
Imagineer

We haven't eaten here yet, but always fancy doing so.

Su, you disappoint me a little with not eating desserts! I need desserts!
1994 St Pete's Beach. 2000 Comfort Suites Maingate East/Clearwater. 2005 Clarion Universal 2006 POFQ/Homewood Universal. 2006 POFQ/Boardwalk Villas/RPR 2007 POR/Wonder Cruise/POP. 2008 BCV/Disney Panama Canal Cruise/GCH, DL. 2008 SSR/RPR/BC. 2009 SSR/BCV/Villa. Sept-Oct Magic B2B Cruises/SSR/BCV/Villa. 2010 SSR/Villa. Sept DCL WB Transatlantic Cruise. 2011 Jan-Feb DCL Panama Canal Cruise/GCV/Villa. 2011 Sept-Oct DCL WB Transatlantic Cruise/Villa
Maz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 07, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post

Looks great. We are thinking of paying for this OOP when we go as we too don't feel it is worth 2TS
Old 4 Sep 07, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
gala
Imagineer

gala's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by MattF View Post
Looks great. We are thinking of paying for this OOP when we go as we too don't feel it is worth 2TS
We are going to do this a s well Matt/Claire. Our plan is to use the plan to do a few more 2 TC restaurants than we usually do but pay for a couple of lunches. The BD lunch is a little less expensive than dinner. I want to try their famous Cobb Salad.

Margaret
Old 4 Sep 07, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by gala View Post
I think they charge 2 TCs as a way of putting off the masses from booking it for the Fantasmic package. I could be wrong, but I know if I had the choice it would be my first choice it were 1 TC! I think BD would be inundated if it were a 1 TC restaurant, as the other choices in MGM are so poor. It serves delicious food but you are right Sue; it isnt worth the two credits.

Margaret

Also agree with your theory, shame though.

Kitty