Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 24 Dec 04, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post

An Evening at Citricos

CITRICOS (GF)

It was our last night, so we wanted to eat somewhere that feels a bit special. Somewhere a bit dressy, that serves great food, and is quiet enough to talk to each other without shouting across the table.
We’ve eaten at Citricos a couple of times previously and thought it would fit the bill perfectly!
The restaurant is quite elegant, yet relaxed. It has a contemporary feel, but the curvy ironwork and amber lighting soften the tones. Yet again there are lots of the floor to ceiling windows, which appear to be all around the Grand Floridian.

We made a PS for this one as we didn’t dare wing it. We booked it from our room a couple of days previously.
We arrived at 7:45 for a seating time of 8:15. I asked for a window seat, at the rear of the restaurant. I prefer it back there as it’s a bit quieter and more intimate. The hostess said she’d see what she could do, but there may be a bit of a wait.
No problem! We would have a Citrus Infused Martini at the bar area.
Oh these drinks are so delicious! The base is made from very chilled Stolinichya vodka, and you can really taste the zesty lemon and orange infusion. It’s got an impressive kick to it too!

At 8:00 the hostess came over to tell us that, if we wanted to see the fireworks, Wishes had just started. There wasn’t any music, but it was still very romantic to watch them from this location.
Just before the fireworks ended we were shown to our table. We were taken past the vibrantly tiled, open kitchen area, and seated at a window table right near the back of the room. I was really pleased as it was just what I’d hoped for.
Our server Aicha soon introduced herself, and it wasn’t long before we felt like we’d known her for ages. She was a little gem!
She made sure our meal was paced perfectly, was discreet enough to give us plenty of private time, and yet would appear like magic if we needed anything.
Aicha brought our bread to the table, and I was surprised to see that the usual walnut bread and butter had been replaced with herby focaccia, along with some peppered olive oil for dipping. It was very tasty indeed and could have only been improved if the bread was served warm. That would’ve made me eat even more of it though!

Do you remember that gorgeous Warm Onion Tart with Walnut Vinaigrette that Paul had last week in Mizner’s lounge?
Well we both wanted/needed to have some more of it, but thought it would probably be too filling. So I suggested to Paul that we get one Onion Tart and order the Romaine Salad, with Fresh Hearts of Palm and Gorgonzola, and split them between us. Decision made!
We thought that the combination of the two starters went together very well. The crisp salad cut through the richness of the creamy tart very nicely.

I had a glass of Bonterra Viogner and Paul had a glass of Barmwood Cabernet Sauvignon. We both enjoy the ripe fruitiness of Californian wines.

For my main course, I had fully intended to have the salmon, but when Aicha enquired what I was having, I heard the request for Oak Grilled Fillet Steak with Olive Oil Crushed Potatoes, come out of my mouth!
It was a selection I didn’t regret though – it turned out to be a most excellent piece of fillet steak. The meat was extremely tender yet had loads of flavour to it.
(I’m a bit fussy about my steak, as I tend to feel a bit guilty if eating it in front of my vegetarian husband. Consequently I don’t eat it that often, and am easily disappointed if I think it’s not up to scratch).
The robust, sweet onion gravy was very rich and flavoursome, although I saw no evidence of the mushrooms which were mentioned on the menu. It wasn’t a problem for me, as I can take them or leave them, but a fungi fan may be rather disappointed by their absence!
Paul had the vegetarian entrée, which tonight was Braised Autumn Vegetables with Goat’s Cheese, Pesto and Beurre Blanc.
This meal was far more rustic and much heavier than the veggie dishes Paul had eaten at Citricos on other visits.
That being said, the mixture of olive oil-braised peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, red onion and baby spinach was still delicious. The goat’s cheese and pesto were sealed inside the large puff pastry envelope.
Paul thought the Beurre Blanc actually complemented the dish very much, which surprised me. I’d thought it was a bit of a strange choice as it usually accompanies much lighter ingredients.

We spoke with Aicha about the change, and she told us the chef that usually prepares the veggie dishes was away on leave. I guess that explained why the dish was a bit less sophisticated than usual. I must emphasise that it was still a very enjoyable dish – just not as posh!

I had the Windtree Cabernet Sauvignon and Paul stayed with the Barmwood

I don’t often feel the need for dessert after a meal, but at Citricos the desserts are a highlight - and washed down with a glass of chilled champagne, they’re too much of a treat to resist!
I had the most exceptional Tiramisu! It was very nicely presented and tasted even better than it looked. Worth every single calorie in my opinion!
Paul had the Tropical Fruit Crème Brulee. It was velvety smooth and creamy, with a sugary crust that needed just a tiny tap to crack!
I seem to recall that he took great pleasure in nibbling away at the solid, white and dark chocolate quills that decorated the dish, too!

It was getting on for 11:00pm and our plates were all but licked clean. The last dregs of champagne had been drained from our glasses and there was definitely no room for coffee!
It was time to toddle home.
We had been at Citricos for about three hours and we were almost the last people to leave the restaurant. To tell you the truth, I don’t think either of us wanted the evening to end.
We thoroughly enjoyed sharing the last evening of our holiday together, and I’m so pleased that we decided to spend it here.
Citricos remains our top spot in WDW for an intimate, romantic meal with superb service in a stylish location!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited at 07:46 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 04, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post

Oh what a great last evening, the food looks fab, great pics
Claire
Old 24 Dec 04, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
truesdpr
Imagineer

truesdpr's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Looks gorgeous! Another place to add to my expanding list for Easter time.

Glad you had such a great last night.

Pam.
truesdpr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 05, 01:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Dizzy
Imagineer

Wow, looks great. Might have to wait a few years for that one though, hard to have a romantic meal with the kids in tow
Indian Creek Villa
October 7th - October 28th 2006
3 weeks in Heaven
Dizzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 05, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Bob_and_Dawn
Imagineer

Bob_and_Dawn's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Sue that sounded wonderful - now how can I fit a visit to Citrios into our April plans!

Dawn
Old 14 Mar 05, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
mkingdon
Imagineer

mkingdon's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Sue

That looked lovely.

I'd love to build that into our plans for Decemeber.

What are your thoughts on taking the kids.

My two will be 10 & 8 (good grief, where did the time go) and are extremely well behaved when eating out, and have done Cali Grill and other posh nosh before without getting us thrown out. However, I don't want to take them if other diners see it as a child free retreat.

Is it seen as an adults only type of place?

Thanks

Craig
Old 14 Mar 05, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post

Whilst Citricos does have a very adult feel about it Craig, I don't think your girls would be out of place at all.

I love to see well behaved kids enjoying their food at the more upscale restaurants.

On the occasions we've been, I would say that about 1 in 8 tables had children.

It's much quieter than Cali Grill and I would say a bit dressier too.

I hope you do give it a go (then you can put it in your report and I can salivate over what you had for your dinner!)

Currently Citricos is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.
Old 15 Mar 05, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
mapman
Cream Tea anyone ?

mapman's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
OMG - wonderful ! - fantastic photo's and what about that description . . .

MUST go there one day . . .

Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened.

My Orlando Map - http://www.orlandomaps.co.uk
mapman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 07, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post

Excellent ~ Thanx for posting.
Old 9 Jul 07, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List