Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 1 Aug 16, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
Wish I had known about the bookstore a week ago. I just came back from Baltimore.

I raised two boys and a girl but think little boys are special, especially kind, sensitive ones-they grow up into wonderful me. Acadia is wonderful and I love almost all of the Maine Coast. If you want to keep driving, we fell in love with Atlantic Canada.

If anyone asks me what the most important gift I gave my children, it was a love of reading. My DD also loved historical fiction but when I read the books she was reading, I felt they were too emotionally gut wrenching for me.
I couldn't agree more.

And I had to laugh at your "emotionally gut-wrenching". I remember when I was reading "Charlotte's Web" to my son. When Charlotte died...

"Mother...are you CRYING?"

I was never one for crying over books. But then I became a mother, and all that changed...

I teased my own mother rather mercilessly for crying at Hallmark commercials...what comes around goes around...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 16, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

My daughter would so love the Alice Vans as she is called Alice and is obsessed by Vans!

Loving the book haul as well - my two are definitely bookaholics like me. Really enjoyed reading about your trip so far, thank you
Glee Fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 16, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Glee Fan View Post
My daughter would so love the Alice Vans as she is called Alice and is obsessed by Vans!

Loving the book haul as well - my two are definitely bookaholics like me. Really enjoyed reading about your trip so far, thank you
Does your daughter have a little "Alice in Wonderland" collection, or is that too twee when you're called Alice?

I love finding AiW things that aren't the Disney style - the Disney style is nice, but I think I prefer the more "out there" versions...

More books to come - stay tuned! We ended up coming back with AN ENTIRE CASE of books.

Thanks again for your kind remarks...
Old 13 Apr 17, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Great shopping report - your purchases are very diverse, and very 'you'!

Thinking of the Audobon book reminds me of the song 'Poisoning Pigeons in the Park' - I hope you didn't!
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 17, 01:17 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Great shopping report - your purchases are very diverse, and very 'you'!

Thinking of the Audobon book reminds me of the song 'Poisoning Pigeons in the Park' - I hope you didn't!
I TOTALLY WOULD, Gill. I am not a fan of urban pigeons. The one nice thing I have to say about Ken Livingstone? He got rid of the pigeon-food sellers in Trafalgar Square.

I had to laugh, thinking about Tom Lehrer songs, though - Poot is just learning the elements song - that one never gets old either.

I've posted the next day(s) in the Florida report - and yes, it too is a VERY nerdy post - whether it's shopping or life - we can only be who we are!

AND...I found your Remy report. I have replied to it in the DLP TR forum. You were right - having seen your photos I want to go there NOW. How fab were the tiny toques? I want some for my kitchen...

EDIT: I got my second gold Mickey for this post - yay me!

Edited at 01:21 AM.
Old 30 Jun 17, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I was very nearly tempted to skip the shopping update in the middle of the trippie. Partly because way back when your Orlando and Sanibel trippie ended I thought I would squeeze the Boston and DC trippie in before we go away. Back then my holiday seemed a long way off. Now it's only 3 weeks and I'm in full panic mode that I haven't got enough time to get everything sorted out.

Anyhoo I gave myself a proper talking to and reminded myself that reading your trippie is not a job or a chore that needs to be crossed off a to do list So, it really doesn't matter if it takes a bit longer to read than I had planned and actually that is a good thing and not bad thing! Sometimes I honestly don't know what I am thinking and why on earth I can't stop myself worrying about such utterly ridiculous stuff like this...

Sorry bet you're dozing off so back to your trippie now. I'm glad I read this instalment as it's introduced me to the Alice vans. They are gorgeous, I'm jealous, why on earth wouldn't you try them out? You never know you might like them.

I love Reese's. I've not tried the Easter carrot as we only get them in USA as it's just not the same over here. I realise that is mental, but something is different so it's a treat saved for when we holiday. I'm not surprised you and the Queen ate them all before you left Boston. I imagine you were being altruistic and thinking of saving space in the luggage.

The book haul looks so interesting and, spoiler alert, there's a bookshop which gives away children's books for free coming up in a later instalment!

Looking forward to DC next week

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.

Edited at 08:10 PM.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 17, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I was very nearly tempted to skip the shopping update in the middle of the trippie. Partly because way back when your Orlando and Sanibel trippie ended I thought I would squeeze the Boston and DC trippie in before we go away. Back then my holiday seemed a long way off. Now it's only 3 weeks and I'm in full panic mode that I haven't got enough time to get everything sorted out.

Anyhoo I gave myself a proper talking to and reminded myself that reading your trippie is not a job or a chore that needs to be crossed off a to do list So, it really doesn't matter if it takes a bit longer to read than I had planned and actually that is a good thing and not bad thing! Sometimes I honestly don't know what I am thinking and why on earth I can't stop myself worrying about such utterly ridiculous stuff like this...

Sorry bet you're dozing off so back to your trippie now. I'm glad I read this instalment as it's introduced me to the Alice vans. They are gorgeous, I'm jealous, why on earth wouldn't you try them out? You never know you might like them.

I love Reese's. I've not tried the Easter carrot as we only get them in USA as it's just not the same over here. I realise that is mental, but something is different so it's a treat saved for when we holiday. I'm not surprised you and the Queen ate them all before you left Boston. I imagine you were being altruistic and thinking of saving space in the luggage.

The book haul looks so interesting and, spoiler alert, there's a bookshop which gives away children's books for free coming up in a later instalment!

Looking forward to DC next week
We can get a *pretty* good selection of Reese's near us, but I only buy it in America. So if TWO of us think that way - it can't be mental, right?

RIGHT?

I'll tell you why I've never worn the Alice Vans - because they're flats. And since I have such short legs (seriously, they barely reach the ground) - I NEVER wear flats. Even heavily pregnant I wore heels. My Alice HIGHTOPS...

...I did wear to Florida, but that's because I can (and did) hide "lifting" insoles inside them.

Can't be sure - but I am guessing that my "hauls" are the nerdiest in Dibb history. It's been fab to get some good responses to the book stuff in both trippies - it sometimes feels like our family are the last people alive who read for pleasure. I was REALLY sad to see that after I finished this trippie - Books for America closed permanently. We are very lucky (here in England) in that we live near another "free bookshop" - Free Books Hatfield. It is SUCH an enormous blessing both to kids and to older folks on fixed incomes. Not such a blessing to my house - which no matter how fast we read still looks like an Oxfam collection depot.

And Abby - read this WHENEVER you want to. It doesn't have to be before you leave. Feel free to save it for those horrible hours at JFK before your flight back. TRs are meant to be FUN - and anyway...I know you're good for it.
Old 1 Jul 17, 06:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Thank you for giving me permission to have time off! Oh my if I could stop the worrying about stupid stuff I don't know how I'd fill the day! I have exceptionally unrealistic expectations of myself and what I should be capable of. Besides if I slowed down I could join in with the discussion you and collybird were having about KFC, cutlery in cars and how best to extricate oneself from a submerged vehicle...still subscribed so I just read all that this morning, it felt a bit voyeuristic like I was snooping.

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 17, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Thank you for giving me permission to have time off! Oh my if I could stop the worrying about stupid stuff I don't know how I'd fill the day! I have exceptionally unrealistic expectations of myself and what I should be capable of. Besides if I slowed down I could join in with the discussion you and collybird were having about KFC, cutlery in cars and how best to extricate oneself from a submerged vehicle...still subscribed so I just read all that this morning, it felt a bit voyeuristic like I was snooping.
Don't you love Colette's posts? She is an AMAZING reader - and now we know why - she's an honours graduate in English (and history)!

You are OF COURSE welcome to follow along - it's actually super fun to see people pop up again later in the trippie. Gill H, duchy and YOU are really good at that - I'll ask a totally random question days/weeks after you all commented - and then one of you will pop in with an answer or advice. It really has made both trippies (but especially the FL one) more like a chat with friends than "work".

SERIOUS again...

One of the most meaningful things DM ever said to me?

"I think I was too hard on you. I think I passed on the completely unrealistic expectations I have of myself. And so now you have completely unrealistic expectations of others - and of yourself."

Be gentle with yourself. We're all (OK, not ALL - but most of us) doing the best we can. Work hard, be kind to others - and leave the rest to Heaven.

On my tombstone I want it to say "Beloved Wife and Mother". I'm pretty sure nothing about work/housekeeping/social commitments will make it onto the rock.
Old 3 Jul 17, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
It took a looooonnnng time to reply as I was trying to think of something profound to say. But the juices were not flowing.

Perhaps there were no juices because you hit the nail on the head and there was nothing more to add. So, I'll settle for thank you and gracefully accept the advice, albeit, I will struggle to adhere to it!