Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 11 Aug 17, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by SEAWORLD FAN View Post
That was an early start today but you've made it to Washington DC! Whoo hoo. I'm really looking forward to reading the next few days and I've taken a cheeky glimpse at the titles and see that there are pandas tomorrow. I LOVE pandas. Hoping to get a trip to Edinburgh before the year is out to see the ones they have on loan. Today first though ...

Finally, a meteorite! I was beginning to think that you had just teased me a couple of days ago with talk of meteorites! Now the holiday really has begun! Seriously though, today was an interesting read. I'm particularly pleased that you talk about costs etc as it's always useful to know the finer details for planning so I've jotted down a few bits. When we were in New York last year I was surprised at how much more expensive it was than Orlando. I should probably have expected it being the Big Apple and all but I had been thinking that it's America, it's cheaper than Ireland instead of it's a big city and it's going to cost a small fortune. Bit of a fail on the budget.

What a palaver at tea time. I'm always flabbergasted at how people react to free stuff. If you had to pay for something you would only buy want you needed but if it's free some folk grab and stash like rationing has been re-introduced. I just don't get it.
I love pandas, too. I don't think DH and DS quite got how long I would want to spend observing them...

It seems a bit mad to me that we live (relatively) close to Edinburgh - but have never gotten up to see the pandas. But whenever we talk about "staycations" - DH always vetoes Scotland. I think he worries that the locals would hear his public school accent and...I don't know - I love Scotland!

Because of Poot's health challenge/surgery in the weeks leading up to the holiday - I did very little actual planning. So I was surprised - BIG TIME - by what stuff cost in D.C. I knew the hotels were expensive...but full train fare for kids FIVE AND OVER?!

And OH, MY is New York expensive. Poot wants to got to the Met - and I'm going to take him because he should get to see it - but $25 admission......when we can visit the British Museum for free! It's so hard with kids - because you KNOW you won't be in the museum all day...

Dinner at the hotel that night was BONKERS. But look at what women in New Orleans do to get free Mardi Gras beads...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 12:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

2.30 AM! It was barely worth going to bed!

DH: I’m not getting up. We’ll pay for new tickets, I don’t care.

Me: I swear, R.C. - if you don’t get up RIGHT NOW we will leave without you and I WILL NOT tell you the name of our hotel in Washington!

DH: Harridan!

...I'm afraid I'm with RC there!

No traffic. Every cloud has a silver lining.

Cheerio to the Queen. It was lovely reading about you.

“The Pleasantly Disappointing Bar and Grill”. Oh dear! An apple on the go might have been better. And cheaper! I'll happily eat on the run at times like that. Sometimes, the palava (or pavlova!) of a sit-down meal just feels so tiring and time-consuming, doesn't it?

$1,500 extra? And, to think, then you'd have missed rugby Denzel! Oh, who you, of course, missed anyway! Wipe your shoes!

And the Residence Inn. Attracting the cream of society. As well as polite, considerate tourists who are visiting the Air & Space Museum!

You know, after your early start, I imagined you all asleep just like that kitten! You must have been goggle-eyed!

Manners.
Maketh.
Man.

And they're free! Although, that makes me think that some people genuinely must think they'll somehow lose out if they stop to consider being nice to another human being! Of course, others just don't know any different - some having only ever been treated that way themselves.

I LOVE THE JOY ON POOT'S FACE! What a brilliant photo! THAT'S WHAT REAL LEARNING LOOKS LIKE! It must have been lovely watching him in his element like that.

And another photo of Poot all lit up! (I like the t-shirt, too.)

Back at the Inn: I can't believe the greedy people! It's the downside of buffets and Disney club level lounges (I hear), isn't it? Poor Poot, no chocolate. At least, you didn't have to worry about swimming after a big meal, though!

I'm trying no to think about that hot tub long enough to comment on it. ...Oops, failed! Well, in for a penny - it looks like the Rio Olympics diving pool.

Interesting that Poot doesn't dwell on the middle of the night start to your day. Kids can be so much more sensible, can't they?

Why wouldn't the man turn off his phone? How silly, no wonder the stewardess got testy. ... Those slow escalators look very frustrating. I like the underground escalators in London where there's a side for standing and a side for walking. I always stride on up/down! ... The Air & Space Museum looks really interesting. It's fascinating to think that's the very telescope used by Herschel in 1781!... Shame about the greedy people taking all the candy. They need to learn how to share.

Another interesting day, April! Albeit exhausting.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside

Edited at 12:53 AM.
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 17, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
2.30 AM! It was barely worth going to bed!

DH: I’m not getting up. We’ll pay for new tickets, I don’t care.

Me: I swear, R.C. - if you don’t get up RIGHT NOW we will leave without you and I WILL NOT tell you the name of our hotel in Washington!

DH: Harridan!

...I'm afraid I'm with RC there!

No traffic. Every cloud has a silver lining.

Absolutely. Swings and roundabouts.

Cheerio to the Queen. It was lovely reading about you.

“The Pleasantly Disappointing Bar and Grill”. Oh dear! An apple on the go might have been better. And cheaper! I'll happily eat on the run at times like that. Sometimes, the palava (or pavlova!) of a sit-down meal just feels so tiring and time-consuming, doesn't it?

I don't get the whole "I must have a proper meal" thing - but my favourite aunt is that way, too. I always think of skipped meals on holiday as extra money to spend at Target (as you know)...

$1,500 extra? And, to think, then you'd have missed rugby Denzel! Oh, who you, of course, missed anyway! Wipe your shoes!

I swear you need a doctorate in higher mathematics to understand the airline pricing structures! But RD was INDEED very sexy.

And the Residence Inn. Attracting the cream of society. As well as polite, considerate tourists who are visiting the Air & Space Museum!

You know, after your early start, I imagined you all asleep just like that kitten! You must have been goggle-eyed!

Manners.
Maketh.
Man.

And they're free! Although, that makes me think that some people genuinely must think they'll somehow lose out if they stop to consider being nice to another human being! Of course, others just don't know any different - some having only ever been treated that way themselves.

Thanks for that. I tried to tread lightly (I failed, as you will discover in later posts) about the whole security situation in D.C. - but OH! I was just SICK about the way people treated each other.

One of the hardest realisations of life has to be that people hurt others because they like it. Sometimes I just want to retreat into my cave with a stack of Victorian novels and a tube of Hobnobs.

I LOVE THE JOY ON POOT'S FACE! What a brilliant photo! THAT'S WHAT REAL LEARNING LOOKS LIKE! It must have been lovely watching him in his element like that.

And another photo of Poot all lit up! (I like the t-shirt, too.)

I love both of those snaps (even though Poot wouldn't know a Blur song from...well, anything). School was torture for me - it's great to see Poot so happy while learning.

Back at the Inn: I can't believe the greedy people! It's the downside of buffets and Disney club level lounges (I hear), isn't it? Poor Poot, no chocolate. At least, you didn't have to worry about swimming after a big meal, though!

I KNOW, RIGHT? It's funny, after revisiting the Premier Inn bacon incident in this post...we were at a PI earlier in the week - and a woman sitting near us was complaining that they now take hot breakfast ORDERS instead of letting people serve themselves...

"I used to bring a Flora tub in my bag and fill it with sausages."

I'm trying no to think about that hot tub long enough to comment on it. ...Oops, failed! Well, in for a penny - it looks like the Rio Olympics diving pool.

Wasn't that something? Those poor divers!

Interesting that Poot doesn't dwell on the middle of the night start to your day. Kids can be so much more sensible, can't they?

Why wouldn't the man turn off his phone? How silly, no wonder the stewardess got testy. ... Those slow escalators look very frustrating. I like the underground escalators in London where there's a side for standing and a side for walking. I always stride on up/down! ... The Air & Space Museum looks really interesting. It's fascinating to think that's the very telescope used by Herschel in 1781!... Shame about the greedy people taking all the candy. They need to learn how to share.

Poot replies:

I used to be afraid of the escalators in London - but now I love to run down them. This makes Mother MENTAL, haha.

The Air & Space Museum WAS very interesting - I think the Space part was even better than the Air part (except for the Wright Flyer). The only thing we missed was the little cinema. If you go there you should definitely eat somewhere else, though. The food was pretty bad.

Another interesting day, April! Albeit exhausting.
It was a good day. Full reply (!) in the quote.
Old 2 Nov 17, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Cazzius
Apprentice Imagineer

Oh my goodness, I think I would have sided with RC on the early flight scenario, but hurrah for Magic Nick getting you an early check in and a nap.

Shame about the food options at Air & Space. If you pop next door to the Museum of the Native American they have an AMAZING cafeteria with stations themed around the different tribes, with foods that would have been native to those areas. We went with friends and had soup, tacos and amazing Fry Bread with melty cheese. It was very good value too. It's top of my list for a return trip.

I agree about a contribution to museums. Whether it is 'pay what you can' or a £1 for adults and children free - or £1 for children and they can bring their adults for free. With so many museums struggling and relying on funding from donors and the lottery I would be happy to drop a pound or two to visit a well maintained museum.

I cannot believe those people at dinner taking all of the goodies and hoarding it back to their rooms like that. So selfish. I work at events and tradeshows as part of my job sometimes and am always amazed at the people that will walk past our stand with no attempt at conversation (not even a hello) and take a handful of sweets or pens.

Thankfully the club food at the Loews at Universal was not more of the same for you.

I hope Poot got some chocolate eventually. It sounds like he really enjoyed his day and got to see some interesting exhibits at the museum.

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
I haven't read the 'Mixed Up Files' but I have heard of it, I was excited to hear you mention it. Growing up my one true love was Scholastic's 'The Baby-Sitters' Club', the characters (a group of middle school girls) often studied Newbury winners in their English class.

They stopped publishing the BSC in the U.K when I was 16, but I was still buying and reading then . The author released a prequel a few years ago, it was published when we were in the US, you can imagine what a buzz it was for me to go into Barnes & Noble, buy it, then devour it in one sitting. In adulthood I've collected the whole series, there's more than 200! It's the first thing I'd save in a fire
I loved the BabySitters Club and read so many of them. I loved the specials where different characters wrote each chapter. What a blast from the past

Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post

I do feel your pain waiting for new releases in a series - but when I read a series before it's finished, I obsess about forgetting what happened in previous books! So then I feel like I should read (at least) the previous book again - to refresh my memory and make sure that I get the most out of the current release. But I try not to keep novels once I finish them - because our house already looks like a lending library. It's a vicious circle. Strange place, my brain!

I am TRYING to make more of my NEW book purchases for Kindle, where I don't have to think about some of the above - or about matching covers. I totally get that, too.
When the Harry Potter books were coming out I would reread ALL of the previous books before the new one came out.
I think i'll have to do the same with Game of Thrones when the next in the series is (finally) published. Even though it means I am behind the times I think I prefer reading a series that I am late to as then there is no need to wait for the next installment.

My mum is able to get library books on her Kindle, have you tried that? Is good for people who devour books as is more cost effective than buying all the time.

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
Personally I don't like reading hardback books. Is this a marmite thing as some people love them? Well I came a little late to Harry Potter and was able to read the first 4 books in a row. However, when book 5 was released I broke all my own rules and had to get the hardback as I was desperate to read it. Now we have a shelf which looks wrong with some paperback and some hardback!
I was lucky, my Aunt was collecting the hardback HP books, so I would buy the hardback and read it in about a weekend, then pass it on to her, and she would buy me the paperback when it was released
I did get a very painful shoulder while reading Goblet of Fire and lugging it around in my bag though! That book was HEAVY!

Looking forward to reading about your visit to the zoo, I loved it when we went.

First Time Floribobs (The Irma Remix) - WDW trip report *Complete*
While The Cat's Away, The Caz Will Play With The Mouse - Solo DLP Trip Report
Cazzius is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 17, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Cazzius View Post
Oh my goodness, I think I would have sided with RC on the early flight scenario, but hurrah for Magic Nick getting you an early check in and a nap.

Shame about the food options at Air & Space. If you pop next door to the Museum of the Native American they have an AMAZING cafeteria with stations themed around the different tribes, with foods that would have been native to those areas. We went with friends and had soup, tacos and amazing Fry Bread with melty cheese. It was very good value too. It's top of my list for a return trip.

I agree about a contribution to museums. Whether it is 'pay what you can' or a £1 for adults and children free - or £1 for children and they can bring their adults for free. With so many museums struggling and relying on funding from donors and the lottery I would be happy to drop a pound or two to visit a well maintained museum.

I cannot believe those people at dinner taking all of the goodies and hoarding it back to their rooms like that. So selfish. I work at events and tradeshows as part of my job sometimes and am always amazed at the people that will walk past our stand with no attempt at conversation (not even a hello) and take a handful of sweets or pens.

Thankfully the club food at the Loews at Universal was not more of the same for you.

I hope Poot got some chocolate eventually. It sounds like he really enjoyed his day and got to see some interesting exhibits at the museum.

I loved the BabySitters Club and read so many of them. I loved the specials where different characters wrote each chapter. What a blast from the past

When the Harry Potter books were coming out I would reread ALL of the previous books before the new one came out.
I think i'll have to do the same with Game of Thrones when the next in the series is (finally) published. Even though it means I am behind the times I think I prefer reading a series that I am late to as then there is no need to wait for the next installment.

My mum is able to get library books on her Kindle, have you tried that? Is good for people who devour books as is more cost effective than buying all the time.

I was lucky, my Aunt was collecting the hardback HP books, so I would buy the hardback and read it in about a weekend, then pass it on to her, and she would buy me the paperback when it was released
I did get a very painful shoulder while reading Goblet of Fire and lugging it around in my bag though! That book was HEAVY!

Looking forward to reading about your visit to the zoo, I loved it when we went.
Too funny, we went to the NMAI cafeteria on departure day - and ate the cheesy fry bread. I am very cheap, so I must confess I didn't find it good value - I think the "main dish" being offered in our zone was more than $20. Just think how far that would go at the Sainsbury's cafeteria.

I had a really interesting (well...) "museum admission" conversation with the chap on the desk at the Museum of Natural History in New York. The "suggested donation" there (for Poot and me) was I think something like $40, and they do NOT make it obvious that you can pay what you like. So I said to the chap, "I'll be honest with you, I think $40 is just too much money to take a kid to the museum." And he said, "This museum has PLENTY of money. Pay what you like. That guy over there just gave me a dollar for his whole family."

Me: Really?

Him: Yep. I get a few like that every day. But I think most people are too embarrassed to ask. And I'm not allowed to offer until they do.

Surely there's got to be a happy medium (I ended up paying $20, which I thought was about right).

...have you thought about a LID for your trade show sweet jar? Perhaps if people had to actually stop to remove the lid...it's rather rich that in a time of unprecedented affluence (and morbid obesity) the problems of selfishness and narcissism just keep getting worse.

Our local library (in England) DOES do e-books. I've used the service a few times, but as I have literally THOUSANDS of unread books in my house, I should probably concentrate on those. And weirdly, I have noticed that I don't retain information as well when I read it on my tablet. I suppose because a "proper" book engages more of the senses?

"Game of Thrones" I just can't get into. I have tried, but eventually I gave the book away. I do love a good fantasy epic, but I think that one was just too upsetting for me (cough*wuss*cough).
Old 8 Dec 17, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Cazzius
Apprentice Imagineer

Too funny, we went to the NMAI cafeteria on departure day - and ate the cheesy fry bread. I am very cheap, so I must confess I didn't find it good value - I think the "main dish" being offered in our zone was more than $20. Just think how far that would go at the Sainsbury's cafeteria.
I think we just did a selection of starters and snacks - soup, bread, tacos etc so maybe that is why I didn't think it was too bad.
We have been for breakfast in the Morrison's cafeteria when travelling home from weekends away a number of times. Big fans of their cooked breakfasts.

I had a really interesting (well...) "museum admission" conversation with the chap on the desk at the Museum of Natural History in New York. The "suggested donation" there (for Poot and me) was I think something like $40, and they do NOT make it obvious that you can pay what you like. So I said to the chap, "I'll be honest with you, I think $40 is just too much money to take a kid to the museum." And he said, "This museum has PLENTY of money. Pay what you like. That guy over there just gave me a dollar for his whole family."

Me: Really?

Him: Yep. I get a few like that every day. But I think most people are too embarrassed to ask. And I'm not allowed to offer until they do.

Surely there's got to be a happy medium (I ended up paying $20, which I thought was about right).
How interesting that they can't tell people that they may pay what they wish until the people enquire. I imagine people do just pay the full suggested amount I'll remember that if I ever get to NYC, as $40 for museum entry is pretty steep for 2 people.

...have you thought about a LID for your trade show sweet jar? Perhaps if people had to actually stop to remove the lid...it's rather rich that in a time of unprecedented affluence (and morbid obesity) the problems of selfishness and narcissism just keep getting worse.
Now there's an idea! It seems petty to be bothered about people helping themselves to free promotional sweets, but it's more the greed/attitude that winds me up. If they explained they ran a brownie troupe, suffered from kleptomania or were the old woman who lived in a shoe that needed treats then I'd understand.
*searches for sweetie jars with lids*

Our local library (in England) DOES do e-books. I've used the service a few times, but as I have literally THOUSANDS of unread books in my house, I should probably concentrate on those. And weirdly, I have noticed that I don't retain information as well when I read it on my tablet. I suppose because a "proper" book engages more of the senses?

"Game of Thrones" I just can't get into. I have tried, but eventually I gave the book away. I do love a good fantasy epic, but I think that one was just too upsetting for me (cough*wuss*cough).
There is something lovely about reading a proper book. I've just treated myself to the new, hardback, illustrated version of Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, even though I already have it on my Kindle.

The libraries doing eBooks is so good as you can read it and if you didn't like it, it hasn't cost you anything.

No judgement on not liking Game of Thrones - it certainly isn't for everyone and no point in slogging through something you don't enjoy out of sheer dogged determination.

First Time Floribobs (The Irma Remix) - WDW trip report *Complete*
While The Cat's Away, The Caz Will Play With The Mouse - Solo DLP Trip Report
Cazzius is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 17, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Cazzius View Post
I think we just did a selection of starters and snacks - soup, bread, tacos etc so maybe that is why I didn't think it was too bad.
We have been for breakfast in the Morrison's cafeteria when travelling home from weekends away a number of times. Big fans of their cooked breakfasts.

How interesting that they can't tell people that they may pay what they wish until the people enquire. I imagine people do just pay the full suggested amount I'll remember that if I ever get to NYC, as $40 for museum entry is pretty steep for 2 people.

Now there's an idea! It seems petty to be bothered about people helping themselves to free promotional sweets, but it's more the greed/attitude that winds me up. If they explained they ran a brownie troupe, suffered from kleptomania or were the old woman who lived in a shoe that needed treats then I'd understand.
*searches for sweetie jars with lids*

There is something lovely about reading a proper book. I've just treated myself to the new, hardback, illustrated version of Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, even though I already have it on my Kindle.

The libraries doing eBooks is so good as you can read it and if you didn't like it, it hasn't cost you anything.

No judgement on not liking Game of Thrones - it certainly isn't for everyone and no point in slogging through something you don't enjoy out of sheer dogged determination.

It seems petty to be bothered about people helping themselves to free promotional sweets, but it's more the greed/attitude that winds me up.

It's the symptom of a much bigger problem, I think. People seem to see each other as nothing more than the means to an end...

I was actually thinking about this today when I was cleaning the loo...

...On the cruise - on departure morning - I went in to use the ladies' room. And there was a Caribbean lass in there going into each cubicle and neatening it up - after EVERY woman. And after I washed my hands I thanked her and said how lovely it was to use such sparkling facilities. And she told me I was the first passenger not just to thank her - but to SPEAK TO HER all day.

I'm terribly anti-social by nature, but when I (metaphorically) stop, take the lid off the jar - and thank the person for the candy - I KNOW it's good for me as well. We desperately need those connections with other people.

Oh, dear...that got a bit heavy...I should have said "I think I've seen those jars at TK Maxx".

I recently bought a hardcover because I loved the art on the dust jacket - only to discover that the book itself was a STINKER. Should have gotten the Kindle sample...
Old 13 Dec 17, 07:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
...On the cruise - on departure morning - I went in to use the ladies' room. And there was a Caribbean lass in there going into each cubicle and neatening it up - after EVERY woman. And after I washed my hands I thanked her and said how lovely it was to use such sparkling facilities. And she told me I was the first passenger not just to thank her - but to SPEAK TO HER all day.
I had so many conversations with those ladies! Every time I went in, one of them was there, and would wish me a good day or ask if I was having a good time. They must have a heck of a job.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 17, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
I had so many conversations with those ladies! Every time I went in, one of them was there, and would wish me a good day or ask if I was having a good time. They must have a heck of a job.
I can't even imagine, Gill.

I wrote to Colette about my discomfort with what sometimes felt like "plantation culture" on the ship. Surely we can do better.