Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 Dec 21, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Daisy_Do_72
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile New puppy..

Lost our lovely choc lab In Sept 2020, she was 14. The most amazing dog. She was with me through the passing of both my parents and ≈≈≈≈≈≈ divorce. We walked miles together and I loved her. I still miss her now today.
I have a daughter who is struggling with some mental health issues and I’ve piled the weight on trying to be the family rock.
So, I’ve decided to get a puppy! A golden lab, it’s ready to leave its mum in Xmas Eve.
I’m excited but nervous and we are keeping it a secret from the children.
We do have a 4 yr old cockapoo so I’m
Hoping that will be a big help, with training etc..
Has anyone had a puppy on Xmas eve? Any advice?
Some people that sell pups say it will come with a blanket with mums scent on., but ours does not offer that, but I could drop off a blanket now and ask for that, but I’m not sure if it will make any difference.
Any advice is appreciated
Thanks
Daisy_Do_72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 21, 10:37 PM  
Link to this Post
mollybogle
Apprentice Imagineer

We were given a toy and a blanket for Leia our setter she wasn’t bothered about it. I stayed with her the first night I think having another dog will help. She settled in pretty well with my parents westie. They got Holly on the 23rd of December 5 years ago. She was typical westie though settled in no bother. Still young enough to not bother the tree to often
Old 3 Dec 21, 11:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Eeyore14
Apprentice Imagineer

Eeyore14's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Ours wasn’t too bothered about the blanket either, but he loved an oversized T-shirt that dd wore to bed for a few days before he arrived we then cut it into large squares and he would snuggle up on that when he went to bed. It was also easy to replace when it got too worn and dirty. Enjoy your new puppy x
Old 4 Dec 21, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Mobile

How lovely for you . I lost my lovely dog this year after 17 years and I still miss him. My boys wanted to buy me another for Christmas but still not quite ready for it yet but I will read the tips given incase I do ever change my mind. Your children will think that’s the best present x
Old 4 Dec 21, 08:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by mollybogle View Post
We were given a toy and a blanket for Leia our setter she wasn’t bothered about it. I stayed with her the first night I think having another dog will help. She settled in pretty well with my parents westie. They got Holly on the 23rd of December 5 years ago. She was typical westie though settled in no bother. Still young enough to not bother the tree to often
Leia looks beautiful! Our pups mum was setter and he is such a lovely dog. OP congratulations on your new addition, enjoy x

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 21, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Welsh_Dragon
Proud to wear my Ears

Perhaps take a blanket with you and ask the breeders to rub the mother down with it when you pick up the puppy. Also, at home, set up a crate in a quiet place so that the puppy has a safe space and is not overwhelmed by the busyness of Christmas. It is most unusual for a responsible breeder to release a puppy on Christmas Eve. It would be a red flag to me, so be careful.
Welsh_Dragon is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 21, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

I second the blanket idea, we did this and willow has slept through the night since we got her! I can imagine life with a cockapoo (we have one) and a lab puppy will be lots of fun!
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 21, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
jojos
Excited about Disney

We have a 12 week old cocker spaniel and I think a blanket with Mum’s scent on is a good idea, we left one with the breeder before we picked Juno up.
Good luck!
jojos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 21, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
MonkeyNut
Excited about Disney

Our girls is 3 and still sleeps with her blanket from her mum ❤️

I’d recommend a crate with bed, toys and feed treats in it to give puppy own space over the busy Christmas period and to give your older dog a break from puppy mithering.

Rosen Inn at Pointe Orlando 2013, 2015 and 2017
Wilderness Lodge/Rosen Inn @pointe 2018
Disneys Animal Kingdom Lodge 2019 and 2022
Mums 70th surprise trip 2023
MonkeyNut is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 21, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Fairy Nuff
Being a bit Goofy

Originally Posted by Welsh_Dragon View Post
Perhaps take a blanket with you and ask the breeders to rub the mother down with it when you pick up the puppy. Also, at home, set up a crate in a quiet place so that the puppy has a safe space and is not overwhelmed by the busyness of Christmas. It is most unusual for a responsible breeder to release a puppy on Christmas Eve. It would be a red flag to me, so be careful.
This is what alarmed me too!
Fairy Nuff is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List