Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 27 Jan 22, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Ask your friends on FB for local recommendations. Lots of people do really nice cakes from home and are word of mouth only.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
louiseybobs
Imagineer

louiseybobs's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
We’re the muppets that have gone for an expensive wedding cake
Although I do love cake haha

However, I did see a cake company local to me advertising to hire a polystyrene wedding cake for the day, and then you could buy cakes from Costco and serve them up
Old 27 Jan 22, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
traceylou1972
Apprentice Imagineer

traceylou1972's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Whereabouts in Hampshire are you? If you are in the Basingstoke area send me a pm.

Tracey x
Cheyenne Aug 01, Circus Dec 03 ,DCR Dec 04, Magic Circus Dec 05, Kyriad NYE 07, Sequoia Feb 08, Val de Eur Jun 08, Cheyenne Oct 08, Magic Circus Jul 09, DH Feb 10, Newport Bay Feb 11, Kryiad Nov 11, Circus Jan 13 Sept 93 I Drive, Jul 07 Villa,Apr 09 Villa, Oct 10 Villa, Apr 11 Cruise & Villa, Xmas 11 Villa, July 12 Villa, Apr 14 Villa, Apr 15 Cruise & Villa, Dec 15 Villa, Aug 17 Villa & Cruise, Oct 18 Villa, Aug 19
traceylou1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 22, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Really depends what you both want and how important is having lots of cake to you both. Ive made cakes for friends and family for years including wedding cakes. Im not a professional Baker just a hobby baker. The last wedding cake I did was my nieces. They both like cake but I don't think they ended up eating much of it. They had it for tradition and photos to be honest. I did a traditional fruit cake and two sponge layers. Ive seen so many cakes that don't get cut or eaten. There's so much work that goes into making cakes it such a shame to waste it. Ive also done up plain m&s cakes for brides & grooms on a smaller budget. M&S cakes are really good. The range they do now is great. They also do tasting bars if you wanted a dummy cake for pictures and a smaller amount to cut. Wedding cake prices vary a lot on style and location. If you go professional maker I would always go on recommendation. Theres some very talented professional bakers on here who will give good advice too.
Old 27 Jan 22, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Princesses 3
Very Serious Dibber

My youngest daughter made her sisters cake and I agree it was a really special touch. We also got a cheese tower from Costco which was great value in the grand scheme of things.
We had the sponge on the day and the cheese in the evening 😊
Princesses 3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 22, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Friends daughter had a cake from waitrose and put fresh flowers on it. DD had a ‘naked cake’ no icing and had strawberries and fruit between the layers
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 22, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lola View Post
Friends daughter had a cake from waitrose and put fresh flowers on it. DD had a ‘naked cake’ no icing and had strawberries and fruit between the layers
I like it 💕💕
Similar to my son & DIL’s cake 🍰

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1266923

ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 22, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitchbounce
slightly serious Dibber

Thank you all for your replies, I had wondered about buying shop cake and having it decorated. The thing with going with who I know is unfortunately I think they are over charging me despite being family. The original lady who I was going with (she's made numerous cakes for us over the years and they've always looked and tasted amazing) only was going to charge me half of what the family member was going too. I will definitely look in to all these ideas, especially polystyrene cakes!
Old 2 Feb 22, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

how much are "proper" places charging for wedding cakes?!

seems like an expensive waste to me (other than the photo opportunity), but then i've never had a cupcake i've not been underwhelmed by, and standard sponge cakes covered in icing are just disappointing. give me a nice chunk of brownie over almost anything.

the best wedding cake i ever saw was wheels of cheese with a massive pork pie stacked up cake-style
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Feb 22, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Naked and buttercream cakes definitely seem to be the current trend and Im on board as I love the design and taste of them, where as fondant is awful (imo). If it's for everyones dessert at the party, I would keep it quite traditional flavour wise.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List