Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 Feb 22, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post
jobelly
Imagineer

Mobile Views on Santa Monica

We had planned on 3 nights at Hollywood Roosevelt to do universal and LA sites then 1 night at Santa Monica then 5 nights at Disneyland. We visited Santa Monica about 20 years ago and liked it but a trip report from a couple of years ago suggested it’s really run down now and I’m wondering whether to drop the night there and just have a day visit and do 6 nights at Disneyland. It will stop as much moving around but is there anything worthwhile there at night we would be missing? I think our oldest wants to go but that’s mainly to see muscle beach etc.
Old 3 Feb 22, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jobelly View Post
We had planned on 3 nights at Hollywood Roosevelt to do universal and LA sites then 1 night at Santa Monica then 5 nights at Disneyland. We visited Santa Monica about 20 years ago and liked it but a trip report from a couple of years ago suggested it’s really run down now and I’m wondering whether to drop the night there and just have a day visit and do 6 nights at Disneyland. It will stop as much moving around but is there anything worthwhile there at night we would be missing? I think our oldest wants to go but that’s mainly to see muscle beach etc.
Santa Monica is lovely - there are several types of Muscle beaches now from Santa Monica down to Venice. Venice is where most go for the Muscle Beach and yes that is a seedy, dope filled skater area and one that was once a fun hip place to stay (I used to love it over SM) I avoid . Santa Monica is far from run down and dont think you will see much change from your visit 20 years ago. Stay there and if your child wants to see Muscle Beach you can hire a bike and cycle along the prom down to Venice and back to SM

The pier and the prom at SM (and amazing sunsets from there) make a very worth while place to stay for a night or more
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 22, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Edie ray
Apprentice Imagineer

We didn’t stay in Santa Monica but we went there for the day

We parked up on the beach, went on the pier, then we walked along the beach all the way to Venice, had lunch and then walked all the way back on the path, was a great day

We actually stayed at Manhattan beach which we preferred x
Edie ray is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 22, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Edie ray View Post
We didn’t stay in Santa Monica but we went there for the day

We parked up on the beach, went on the pier, then we walked along the beach all the way to Venice, had lunch and then walked all the way back on the path, was a great day

We actually stayed at Manhattan beach which we preferred x
Yeah I gues 20 years ago I wouldnt have stayed at SM either (places and tastes change) but I would have no hesitation recommending at at the moment. I haven’t stayed at Manhattan Beach tho

Laguna Beach is stunning x
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 22, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Edie ray
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
Yeah I gues 20 years ago I wouldnt have stayed at SM either (places and tastes change) but I would have no hesitation recommending at at the moment. I haven’t stayed at Manhattan Beach tho

Laguna Beach is stunning x
Next time we go Laguna beach is top of the list to visit
Edie ray is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 22, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We stayed at SM over Christmas and loved it but I also enjoyed Venice beach just people watching.
Also enjoyed Third street promenade and they have a good cheesecake factory where you can sit outside on the roof 😊
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 22, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
jobelly
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you, I’ll maybe stick to my original plan then and have a night there.
Old 3 Feb 22, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
OutbackAddict
Imagineer

Mobile

Another one who hasn't been for 20 years, really liked Santa Monica but the Hollywood Roosevelt was another story would never stay there again unless the area has improved a hell of a lot, we thought it would be nice as it's right on the walk of fame but no its the only holiday destination I've ever felt unsafe definitely wasn't the place to go out after dark, wino's druggies and worse in every direction

Paul
OutbackAddict is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 22, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
We visited in 2015 and 2017 and really enjoyed Santa Monica. Would hapily stay there on a future trip.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 22, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
jobelly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by OutbackAddict View Post
Another one who hasn't been for 20 years, really liked Santa Monica but the Hollywood Roosevelt was another story would never stay there again unless the area has improved a hell of a lot, we thought it would be nice as it's right on the walk of fame but no its the only holiday destination I've ever felt unsafe definitely wasn't the place to go out after dark, wino's druggies and worse in every direction
I was hoping it had improved as we stayed there 20 years ago and it was a bit run down but recent reviews have been good. I might reload at that!