Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 31 Mar 22, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

The ‘Suns’ Road Trip – 7 : Key Largo and the first ‘Sun’

Florida 2022 – The ‘Suns’ Road Trip – 7 : Key Largo and the first ‘Sun’

Today was going to be a long drive down to Key Largo. We decided to avoid the interstate and Miami and would go down the quieter roads instead.

Breakfast first and then we checked out easily, thanking them for a good stay. We set off, me driving, and almost immediately an idiot decided to jump the lights and almost side swiped us when I was turning left, narrowly missing the rear of the car! We crossed the bridge into Stuart, which also looked nice, and then cut across to Lake Ockeechobee and then down the 27.

This was mostly a boring drive once we’d left the lake behind. A really straight road with construction. I didn’t remember this from when we went up it and round the other side of the lake year before.

Eventually we stopped at a Cracker Barrell near Homestead. We’d never been to one of these before and had a good look around at the shop part. We bought some flavoured candy bars like small sticks of rock which were 6 for $1, which I thought was an amazing bargain. I had a piece of cherry pie with ice cream, which was ‘damn fine’ and Will had a rather yummy looking large cookie, plus coffees. We were still full from breakfast.

Eventually we were at the Keys and seeing our first Keys bridge and beautiful ocean! So special. We stopped at John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park. We were surprised to see the little café which we have loved so much was now a trailer outside and the stone tables and benches outside had been replaced. The old café was basically just a large area for the buying tickets for the boats etc. For some reason this place reminds me of my Dad as we went there soon after he died and sitting outside was a peaceful place.

We had a walk down to the far beach and then went into the Aquarium.
This fish looked like it had electric eyes!
Then we decided to go on one of the marked trails. I was convinced we’d gone wrong as it seemed to go on forever – I have little sense of direction - but we were on the right track!
We’ve still not done the glass bottom boat and will do so one day.

A bit further on was our first ‘Sun’ accommodation of the trip – hence the trip name. I’ve booked 4 places all with ‘Sun’ in their name by pure coincidence. This was the Sunset Inn at Islamorada. This is a retro style boutique motel and was absolutely wonderful – do stay there if you’re in the area as I highly recommend it.

All the rooms have a door out to the pool and also have a parking space and front door. Extremely modern, clean and beautifully furnished with great pictures of old times on the Keys. Will went for a swim and said it was really warm.

That evening I’d earmarked Lorelei’s for dinner and the sunset. The lady on reception told us a quick way to get there without going on the main road. When we got there it was heaving and an hour wait for a table. We were allowed to go to the bar to buy drinks but then had to leave and hang around outside! Lots of people were doing this but we still had a beautiful view of a stunning sunset, sitting on the little dock alongside with a couple of Bud Lights. We decided after the sunset to give Lorelei’s food a miss.[APP]https://www.thedibb.co.uk/postImages/4868/a8ec95eda

We walked back down the road quite a long way (well it was when I was hungry!) to Bayside Gourmet restaurant, an Italian. Again it was busy but we stuck it out and had a table in 20 minutes. It was only small but so worth the wait! We started with a couple of hard seltzers, which were lovely and I would have again. My lasagne was probably the best I’ve ever had but was absolutely massive and quite daunting! I couldn’t finish more than two-thirds of it.

We were grateful for the walk after dinner to let our food go down a bit. Back at the motel we watched the huge tv for a bit and slept really well.

Tomorrow – Robbie’s, Pigeon Key, Key West

Index - https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...2#post15302382

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023

Edited at 07:57 PM.
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 22, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Such good timing as the Keys have just piqued my interest for our anniversary trip next year!

A great day 🌞
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 22, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Beautiful sunset photos

Joan
Old 1 Apr 22, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
MOUSEMARSH
VIP Dibber

I fell we may have ridden the same road from Ockeechobee to Key Largo. I remember the Sat Nav saying in 140 Miles bear left!

Love the Sunset Photos, that drive down to Key West may be a long and straight one but if you go off the beaten track a little there are lots of places to see.

If I added it all up I probably could have bought a 4 Bed Detached House
MOUSEMARSH is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 22, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

I love reading about the Keys, I will get there one day!
Another beautiful sunset too

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 22, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishnellie
VIP Dibber

scottishnellie's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Mobile

Ooh love love love. I soooo want to make it to the keys. Kids won’t do it as too long a drive but that day will come…..

Helen xx

Here's a link to all my previous trip reports since 2015
trip report list by year
scottishnellie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 22, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by scottishnellie View Post
Ooh love love love. I soooo want to make it to the keys. Kids won’t do it as too long a drive but that day will come…..
There's lots to do down the Keys for kids, don't dismiss going!

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 22, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Those sunset photos are awesome!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List