Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 May 22, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi everyone,
I’ll do a proper trip report here later but didn’t want to read and run (Covid fatigue still kicking me).
It wasn’t the trip I planned but was the one I needed.
I am really proud of myself for still going and for what I achieved.
Thank you for all the support xx
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 22, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by *source* View Post
I live in Fort William - if you want a coffee when you are here feel free to message me! When are you travelling?
I got back on Thursday but actually have postponed the highlands. I am hoping to either come up in September/October time, or May next year, if your offer has no expiry date I’ll be in touch!
Old 25 May 22, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post

Sorry for the delay in updating you, I’ve been mega tired and still suffering the after Covid effects. I’ll split my days across various posts as not to be text heavy! Unfortunately I don’t seem to be able to post images.

My trip was great! It wasn’t the holiday I planned, and it wasn’t all solo in the end. Having Covid had reduced my energy levels significantly, so my plan to do Scotland like I did Disney (non stop dawn to dusk, heavy itinerary) was somewhat scuppered. Instead I learnt to slow down, enjoy the moment, take a (rather wheezy) breath and just be.

All that said I got lots done! After travelling up on the train through the lakes (loved the scenery and watching the world go by) I dropped my luggage of at the station and set of to explore.

I spent my first solo day in Glasgow and spent time doing the open bus city tour, seeing the Clyde, Peoples Palace, Armadillo and George Square all up close. My favourite things were seeing the various murals painted around Glasgow, including St Mungo, the Olympic swimmers, wind power and King of Comedy Billy Connolly. I went to the Wild Olive Tree for my first ever solo dining experience, it was a lovely little cafe and social enterprise, in a beautiful church. The food was amazing!

After lunch I went back on the tour, getting of at the University of Glasgow. I had a lovely hour or two walking round, it was like being at Hogwarts. I sat in the quadrant and ate my cake (leftover from lunch) and people watched. It was really peaceful. Once I had my energy up I headed through Kelvingrove Park to the Kelvingrove Museum and Art Gallery. It is an easy place to get lost! There was so much to see. A few people had set up easels to draw some of the statues and exhibits and I think I might like to do that one day.

I then picked my luggage up and headed to my cousins, I was only due to stay there three nights, but ended up there for the full trip (hence the not so solo part!), a lot of the days I was on my own but was accompanied in the evenings. It’s a start though and one day I’ll go the whole solo hog!
Old 25 May 22, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post

My second day was spent meeting an online friend for the first time in Edinburgh. Before meeting up with her I had time to visit the castle esplanade and take some pics (including a very windy selfie!), the views across the city were fab. I then had a wander down the royal mile and down some of the closes, there was so many hidden gems down them and I loved the buildings and architecture of the Old Town.

I then met my friend and we had a quick rest and natter (I was flagging already) before heading for a milkshake at Mary’s Milk Bar in the Grassmarket. I had a caramel and liquorice one, it was yummy! Two flavours I’d never have put together but it really worked.

We then took a walk through Greyfriars Kirkyard and saw the statue to Greyfriar Bob, and then hit Victoria Street to do some shopping, and get out the weather - it was very windy and wet.

It was soon past lunch time and we had a reservation at a Greek bistro so we took a slow wander there, down behind the castle and along Lothian Road. We arrived wet, cold and hungry, but boy did this place deliver! If you are ever in Edinburgh go to Taxidi, it is small but perfectly formed. The food is served small plate/tapas style and some of the best food I’ve ever eaten. We were both in food comas after, and took the opportunity to talk and get to know each other.

After lunch my friend had to go as she was meeting her family. I thought about heading back too, it was 3pm and I was exhausted. But knowing how much I’d loved the tour bus in Glasgow I decided to get one and get an overview of Edinburgh too. It was really good, and the rain held off luckily! I think out of the two cities I liked Edinburgh more, for the history and architecture.

I then got the train back to my cousins, and one of the biggest and most important plans of the trip / reconnecting with my family. For reasons I won’t go into here I’ve not seen many of my family since 2001 when my dad died, and others I last saw in 1993. I had been anxious before about how it would go, however I didn’t need to be. I felt welcomed and loved and there wasn’t any awkwardness. It was a good (if rowdy) night and I hope bridges are built now to spend more time with them going forward.
Old 25 May 22, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post

My third day was a much more relaxed affair. My cousin wasn’t working so offered to take us out on a drive to see some of the sights. First we had a cooked breakfast (and my first ever tattie scone) and watched some morning TV (probably needed after the night before!).

We set of early in the afternoon and our first stop was The Kelpies. Unfortunately you can’t go inside them now and read all the information but they were still very impressive to look at. They have missed a trick though, with the moats going around them. The water reminded me of splash mountain as it has quite a current, they should set up inflatable horses for a quick ride around!

After a little stroll we were back in the car and headed into Stirling, where my cousin showed me some of her favourite places to eat for next time I’m there. We also saw the castle and the monument.

Our final stop was the three bridges (the forth rail, forth road and queensferry crossing). Walking over wasn’t going to happen but we did take a drive across and back. I do love a bridge!

That evening we all went out to eat at a little Mexican place and again the food and company were brilliant.

The three days had exhausted me so this is where my plans got changed! I was due to head to Edinburgh on my own for a few nights but I was struggling, and especially at night having a bit of breathlessness. Luckily my cousin said if I wanted I could extend my stay so that’s what I did, and took two full days out to rest. I read and coloured and did some drawing, and watched a series of four in a bed. It was wonderful, I never normally rest like this and it initially felt odd but I embraced it and it helped me be able to do another two full days later in the trip.
Old 25 May 22, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post

My second to last day started off very foggy. I had my rucksack with me as I was heading over to the west coast and Largs to see my aunties and stay the night. I’d wanted to go to Edinburgh first though and try and see Calton Hill and Portobello Beach.

On arriving into Edinburgh I couldn’t see the top of Calton Hill, or much of the Old Town or Castle either. So I scrapped that plan (if would have been a waste of a wheezy walk) and headed straight to Portobello, hoping that the weather might be a bit clearer there. My hopes were dashed on arrival, whilst I could hear the sea I certainly couldn’t see it! I had a mooch at the shops and then decided to head to the beach and get brunch, and see if the weather lifted. It kind of did but still not enough to see the sea. I decided that I was there though and to try and make the most and started a walk along the sand. And, slowly slowly the sun burnt through and there it was - the sea! I decided that I was going to have to do it, shoes off, socks off, leggings rolled up and if I went for a paddle! And to collect shells! It was probably my favourite moment of the trip! I was on that beach for hours, and I can’t wait to go back.

Once I could pull myself away from the sun and sand and fun I headed back into Edinburgh. I bought a cupcake at Bibis for my long train journey, and had a panic as I lost my purse but luckily someone had picked it up and I was soon reunited!

The journey over was lovely again just watching the world go by, and the latter part when we hit the west coast was beautiful. From one sea to another!

I spent the evening with my aunt, eating curry and watching Netflix.
Old 25 May 22, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Well done Klair, I especially love the bit about you on the beach. X
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 22, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Originally Posted by klairbear View Post
My third day was a much more relaxed affair. My cousin wasn’t working so offered to take us out on a drive to see some of the sights. First we had a cooked breakfast (and my first ever tattie scone) and watched some morning TV (probably needed after the night before!).

We set of early in the afternoon and our first stop was The Kelpies. Unfortunately you can’t go inside them now and read all the information but they were still very impressive to look at. They have missed a trick though, with the moats going around them. The water reminded me of splash mountain as it has quite a current, they should set up inflatable horses for a quick ride around!

After a little stroll we were back in the car and headed into Stirling, where my cousin showed me some of her favourite places to eat for next time I’m there. We also saw the castle and the monument.

Our final stop was the three bridges (the forth rail, forth road and queensferry crossing). Walking over wasn’t going to happen but we did take a drive across and back. I do love a bridge!

That evening we all went out to eat at a little Mexican place and again the food and company were brilliant.

The three days had exhausted me so this is where my plans got changed! I was due to head to Edinburgh on my own for a few nights but I was struggling, and especially at night having a bit of breathlessness. Luckily my cousin said if I wanted I could extend my stay so that’s what I did, and took two full days out to rest. I read and coloured and did some drawing, and watched a series of four in a bed. It was wonderful, I never normally rest like this and it initially felt odd but I embraced it and it helped me be able to do another two full days later in the trip.
Sorry you missed out on the tour inside the Kelpies, it’s usually available but I think you have to prebook.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 22, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post

My last full day was spent enjoying the west coast. After breakfast me and my aunt took a walk up to the Pencil in Largs. It was a gorgeous day, bright blue sky and sunny, and just a bit windy. We meet some people filming a documentary about Vikings, it all looked very technical!

We then met up with another of aunties and took a ferry over to Milport on the Isle of Cumbrie. I loved being on the water, the wind in my hair, the smell. It was beautiful seeing the island and in the distance the shadows of other islands and mountains.

Once at Milport (a shuttle bus takes you there) we walked through the village and along the beach. We saw the narrowest house in the UK and the rock that looks (and is painted) like a crocodile. We then went for lunch at The Garrison, which was nice. It was in what looked like a Manor House which is now used as a library, cafe, shop and GP surgery.

Then it was back on the ferry and after a quick cuppa back on the
road, I got a quick tour of Saltburn and Ardrossan before catching the train back to Glasgow. Unfortunately this was the worst part of the trip, Glasgow Rangers we’re playing in a final that night (not sure exactly which one but got a sense from family that it was a big deal). The game itself was being held in Spain but they were showing it in the city on big screens. On the train was a very drunk, loud group of men who were making crude and horrible comments. Luckily they didn’t come close to anyone but it was still very scary (because of past stuff) and I spend the whole journey trying to not cry. I was due to go shopping and then get a later train to my cousins where I was having tea that night, but the thought of this wait was chausing me a lot of extra anxiety so I text my cousin and she arranged for me to be meet straight of the train and driven to hers which I was super grateful for.

The next day was travel home day. I came back a different way, down the East Coast which was stunning. Plus I upgraded to first class which was very welcome having the extra space and the drink service.

Overall I’m very proud of what I accomplished and faced some of my fears. Hopefully I’ll be onto my next trip soon!
Old 25 May 22, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Gabsnoot
Imagineer

It sounds like you’ve managed to fit loads in to your trip. We live on the west coast of Scotland and have visited Glasgow often. We haven’t been to Edinburgh for years though, and you’ve really put me in the notion for a visit.

I’m ashamed to say I’ve never seen the Kelpies, we did see a smaller version in New York, I think they were on tour, but we’ve yet to see the real thing!

I’m looking forward to the rest of your report, it’s really interesting to hear what visitors think of your home country, it sounds like you’ve enjoyed it so far.
Gabsnoot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List