Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 18 May 22, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Hollytigs
Imagineer

Sunflower lanyards

Just a quick note to anyone who was wondering about whether the sunflower lanyards are recognized in the USA.

My adult daughter wore one for travelling this week, and when we arrived at Miami the queue for immigration was huge - it must have been 2.5/3 hours long and only 5 desks open. The lady directing people saw the lanyard and put us in the accessible queue and we were through in 20 minutes. We were very grateful. I felt incredibly sorry for those in the big queue. They were also prioritizing people with small babies.
Hollytigs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 22, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

This is such good news to hear. I wish all airports would recognise this. Sensory issues are such a huge thing to overcome and crowds / busy environments are a major trigger for my son.
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 22, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
dougyjemd
Trying for More Ears

dougyjemd's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Hollytigs View Post
Just a quick note to anyone who was wondering about whether the sunflower lanyards are recognized in the USA.

My adult daughter wore one for travelling this week, and when we arrived at Miami the queue for immigration was huge - it must have been 2.5/3 hours long and only 5 desks open. The lady directing people saw the lanyard and put us in the accessible queue and we were through in 20 minutes. We were very grateful. I felt incredibly sorry for those in the big queue. They were also prioritizing people with small babies.

Thank you Hollytigs for sharing your experience at Miami airport. I'm so nervous about our upcoming trip as it will be our 1st time flying in to Miami but also for me traveling as a new wheelchair user. We have used the lanyards previously for other reasons but mostly in the UK and our last flight in to MCO (for my mum).
We don't mind queuing for things like immigration or park rides and don't expect special treatment but its also nice to know as my circumstances have changed that somewhere new, like Miami Airport has things in place to make the journey a little less stressful by looking out for the lanyard.

Hope your trip was magical and again thank you
dougyjemd is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 22, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
GrinningGhostie
New Poster (4)

This is really good to know. We are travelling for the first time in october as a family of 6 with a couple of the kids being autistic and some sensory issues. my daughter is really comfortable with the sunflower lanyards so its comforting to know theyre recognised more and more. The idea of Miami airport is really daunting so fingers crossed for the same help. Thankyou for sharing x
GrinningGhostie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List