Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 23 Dec 21, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Massive gammon advice!

My son bought a gammon home from Asda where he works after I struggled to get one and it’s huge! I told him never bring home a joint of meat that’s bigger than your head. I have to boil it in coke so how long should I boil it for? I’m thinking 5 hours as it’s over 5kg, or should I try cutting it in half and boil two? What we you do I’ve only ever cooked small hams, we have it soaking in a bucket because it wouldn’t fit in my largest pan! Help please 🙏🙄
Old 23 Dec 21, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
maidmarian
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
My son bought a gammon home from Asda where he works after I struggled to get one and it’s huge! I told him never bring home a joint of meat that’s bigger than your head. I have to boil it in coke so how long should I boil it for? I’m thinking 5 hours as it’s over 5kg, or should I try cutting it in half and boil two? What we you do I’ve only ever cooked small hams, we have it soaking in a bucket because it wouldn’t fit in my largest pan! Help please 🙏🙄
I wouid cut it in half Sandra, I always pressure cook mine as it's beautiful, but don't put coke in a pressure cooker 😆
maidmarian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 21, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Cut it and freeze half I’ve even cut one in half and divided the half I’m not using into a joint and gammon steaks before
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 21, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Thanks I’ll cut it in half and boil them both and my son can eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner for the next week!
Old 24 Dec 21, 12:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Bella Girl
slightly serious Dibber

Bella Girl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I Have just been checking cooking times for ham as I also have a 5kg ham to deal with.

According to Nigella, you should calculate boiling times based on 500g = 25 minutes so 5 hrs is about right for 5kgs.
Bella Girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 21, 12:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Mariesmith
Imagineer

Do you have a slow cooker?

Our gammon joint is 3kg and will be going in the slow cooker all day tomorrow.
Mariesmith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 21, 12:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Originally Posted by Bella Girl View Post
I Have just been checking cooking times for ham as I also have a 5kg ham to deal with.

According to Nigella, you should calculate boiling times based on 500g = 25 minutes so 5 hrs is about right for 5kgs.
Does yours fit in the pan or can you keep turning it and topping up with the coke? Then after 5 hours do you put it in the oven for half a hour? Thanks x
Old 24 Dec 21, 01:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Sandra if I’m doing one that size I put it in my Le Cruset Dutch oven only pot big enough for it cover it bring to the boil and then simmer keeping an eye on the liquid
Take it out after the 5 or so hours dry it off in a clean ( in my case the muslin nappy things I buy from Aldi cooking one ) cloth
Remove the skin and most of the fat score what’s left dot with cloves I useca cider and honey glaze drizzled over and Chuck itbin a very very hot oven on a disposable tray for 30/40 mins TIL it’s the right colour
I never use coke cause I’m a mean Scot and use the stock in thedich oven for soup ,cider sauce etc
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 21, 01:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
Sandra if I’m doing one that size I put it in my Le Cruset Dutch oven only pot big enough for it cover it bring to the boil and then simmer keeping an eye on the liquid
Take it out after the 5 or so hours dry it off in a clean ( in my case the muslin nappy things I buy from Aldi cooking one ) cloth
Remove the skin and most of the fat score what’s left dot with cloves I useca cider and honey glaze drizzled over and Chuck itbin a very very hot oven on a disposable tray for 30/40 mins TIL it’s the right colour
I never use coke cause I’m a mean Scot and use the stock in thedich oven for soup ,cider sauce etc
I do have a massive pan but it sticks out so I’d need to keep turning it, the coke gives it a lovely flavour. I might boil it for 5 hours and keep topping it up and then in the oven with a honey glaze for 30 mins. I’ve made smaller ones every Christmas x thank for the advice x
Old 24 Dec 21, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Jhart
Very Serious Dibber

Hi,
I cooked one exactly that size yesterday - about 5 and a half hours cooking in the Coke. Mine also stuck out so I just turned it about every hour. Then about half hour in the oven on high with the glaze on. Hope you enjoy it - ham egg and chips is our traditional dinner on the 23rd😂