Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 23 Feb 22, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
keeley78
Imagineer

keeley78's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
I use these, ones paste ones powder, both very similar taste but the Maysan paste is slightly nicer I think, I dont like the Mayflower one

Rosen inn @ pointe May 2010, Rosen inn @ pointe & got married May 2011, Clarion inn LBV May 2012, Rosen international, RPR & Hilton Clearwater July/aug 2013
New York July 2016
Rosen @ pointe, Cabana Bay & All star sports Oct/ Nov 2018, New York July 2023
keeley78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 22, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bellasmummy View Post
I use goldfish curry paste from Tesco.
Me too.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 22, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Wolf1984
Imagineer

Thanks for all the replies!

Maysan, goldfish, mayflower just seem to be off the mark compared to the takeaway curry sauce for me.

I have ordered a jar of Wingyip though so will give that a go!

Maykway I will also check out.

Will report back with Wingyip results next week!

Edited at 08:57 PM.
Wolf1984 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 22, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

When we get a Chinese I buy a few extra and freeze them , it always seems to defrost and taste ok.
You could ask your local one which one they use, who knows if you are a regular they might let you buy one.
My local butcher uses a fab Chinese marinade , I asked what it was and he said it was a secret but he gave me a small clear bag full to try at home.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 22, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotsmomma2
Imagineer

I love Mayflower too lol tastes like the real McCoy to me.
Scotsmomma2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 22, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
TheGrahams
Apprentice Imagineer

Youngs curry sauce it is identical, we where told wrap chicken breast in tin foil and cook in oven for about 20 minutes, at same time make sauce in a big pot after it thickens add chicken, cook for short period, add lots of chopped onions then cook for few minutes only.

Billy , Liz , Liam & Gemma
TheGrahams is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 22, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Scotsmomma2 View Post
I love Mayflower too lol tastes like the real McCoy to me.
Same. I always get this one and its actually nicer than some Ive had from the Chinese.
I like it a bit thicker.
ScoopsAhoy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 22, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Wolf1984
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ScoopsAhoy View Post
Same. I always get this one and its actually nicer than some Ive had from the Chinese.
I like it a bit thicker.
Mayflower is the best we've found too but there's a depth to the takeaway sauce that I can't quite put my finger on.

I've tried Eastern Star curry powder doing a paste from scratch but I'm still missing that flavour.

Pinning my hopes on wingyip, maykway and I might give the goldfish another try.

As an aside I started following Ziangs food workshop on YouTube. It's a mother and son doing authentic recipes. We'll worth a watch if you like Chinese and funny too.
Wolf1984 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 22, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotsmomma2
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ScoopsAhoy View Post
I like it a bit thicker.
Yeah I do mine thicker too and cook my chicken breasts in foil in the oven first with sliced onions and I always add frozen peas to the sauce when I add the chicken and onions.
Scotsmomma2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 22, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Scotsmomma2 View Post
Yeah I do mine thicker too and cook my chicken breasts in foil in the oven first with sliced onions and I always add frozen peas to the sauce when I add the chicken and onions.
Same, except I marinade my chicken in cornflour and water and then poach it before frying in the wok with the onion and peas
Makes the chicken really nice and soft!
Going to have to have this next week, thanks OP 😋
ScoopsAhoy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List