Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Mar 22, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitchesmumanddad
VIP Dibber

Taking in a Ukraine refugee

I am seriously thinking about taking in a family. I live alone with 5 bedrooms and often away on holiday. I just cannot bear to see the terrible pictures of those mothers and children suffering.

I am looking at updates and the scheme launch. Anyone else thinking of doing this ? Id be really grateful if helpful Dibbers find any info for this thread or had thoughts / tips for any of us thinking of this x
Old 11 Mar 22, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I feel the same, we have three spare bedrooms, one of which is a converted loft with it's own bathroom, I'd feel guilty if I didn't offer but we also go away a lot, not sure if that's a problem.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 22, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitchesmumanddad
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I feel the same, we have three spare bedrooms, one of which is a converted loft with it's own bathroom, I'd feel guilty if I didn't offer but we also go away a lot, not sure if that's a problem.
Thats what I was a bit worried about, and insurance etc. Maybe the gov will think of these things etc x
Old 11 Mar 22, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

There was a Rabbi from maidenhead talking about this yesterday on radio 2. He has hooked up with a nationwide charity to ensure checks etc are done. I'll have a look to see if I can find the details...
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 22, 02:22 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

refugeesathome/

maidenhead-advertiser.co...-refugees.html
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 22, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I looked into taking a Syrian refugee but they only want offers from people who live in towns and cities. I wonder if this will be the same? After I move ( whenever that is ) I was going to find a lodger anyway as I will have a spare room
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 22, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkbelle
Imagineer

A few years ago I signed up with our council to offer an empty property to a Syrian family. It wasn’t as simple as any of us hoped. The biggest stumbling block was Insurance, my building insurance company wouldn’t allow it, feed back from the council was about 90% of insurers at that time didn’t provide cover. I couldn’t overcome that hurdle, it wasn’t about insuring for damage as such, it was more about having to have insurance if someone was injured on your property.

Things may have changed, but a first step would be to check your insurance policy. Offering your home for someone to stay, would be as a guest, but I found some companies expect that to be more short term, not an extended stay.

My heart breaks for those suffering. I understand the need for visas, I really do, but I don’t see why we aren’t bringing woman and children and men over 60, in and processing them here. My simplistic view, a premier Inn entirely for that process. So they are at least warm and safe.
pinkbelle is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 22, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
ginwithaslice
Very Serious Dibber

During WW2 my mums family took in a family who had lost their home during the Blitz, they lived with them for 3 years. Always thought that was incredible, their house wasn't that big either !
ginwithaslice is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 22, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Whilst I have every sympathy for the displaced Ukrainians, I have grave reservations that would prevent my sharing my house.
1. Vetting of the person(s) concerned.
2. Insurance cover.
3. Leaving them home alone whilst I vacation in April and October.
4. We might actually not get on.

Perhaps it has something to do with my previous career, where I saw the very pits of humanity who often regarded kindness as weakness, but I simply have very little trust in fellow humans until such time as I know them and they have demonstrated their integrity. We will be receiving a true cross section of the Ukrainian population in the coming months.. both good and bad.

I am currently looking for an appropriate and targeted charity in order that I can place a direct debit, to help in an alternative way.. a charity with LOW admin costs and no six figure salaries to directors. Shelter Box springs to mind in the event that they get involved.

Edited at 08:06 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 22, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

We are also talking about this, we haventoo many bedrooms and a large house for two of us and the dog so could certainly help.

I have also looked into giving a rental property over to help. I have one that is just empty and we are putting in a new kitchen and bathroom, it's only one bedroom but it could certainly have kids in the bedroom and a sofa bed in the lounge. It's really hard to overcome the hurdles put in your way.

My grandparents also too, in a family in the war when the families house was bombed. They lived with them for several years. The father was a Baker and every Christmas after the war they gave my grandparents a Christmas cake and a chocolate log for years and years and years.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List