Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 12 Apr 22, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

The ‘Suns’ Road Trip – 9 : exploring Key West and Ghost Tour

Florida 2022 – The ‘Suns’ Road Trip – 9 : exploring Key West and Ghost Tour

We took our breakfast vouchers to the Old Town Bakery, literally just 2 minutes from the hotel and then sat outside by the pool with coffee from our room. The bakery is full of variety and always has a line outside, selling out regularly come early afternoon. I had a raspberry and cream cheese Danish and Will opted for a ham and cheese croissant. hadhttps://oldtownbakerykeywest.com

We’d decided today to try the new free shuttle bus that goes around the town as it hadn’t started last time we were here and it saved driving. The nearest stop was only 5 minutes away and a bus soon came along. It’s such a great idea and saves tired feet, especially in the heat. We eventually decided to get off near the Southernmost Point and walk back up Duval Street.

We went onto the Ponce de Leon Fishing Pier first and watched the fishing for a while – both by humans and pelicans. The pelicans were having a lot more luck!

Obviously it was mega busy around the Southernmost Point monument and also we saw a big line to go into Hemmingway’s House from the bus. I snuck a photo of the Point and cropped the people off afterwards – saved waiting ages and already have a photo of it!

We’ve already done most of the main attractions in Key West and just like strolling the streets looking at the fabulous houses and architecture, and the chickens!
We walked back up through the town again, going in the odd shop or gallery, stopping for some juices at The Café vegan café and an ATM for some cash. Kilwins’s again, followed by a trip to Wallgreens. I love this Wallgreens as it’s in an old cinema!

Cornishfrogboy had recommended a visit to the Mel Fisher Maritime Museum – thank you CFB! This was a wonderful place with such stories to be told and some great artefacts. Gold, pirates, shipwrecks, history and hurricanes. Again, there was lot of information about the railway and the sad demise of it. We were in there for 2 hours!

The rest of the afternoon was spent at the pools at the hotel with coffees and snacks. One was heated and just steamy!
Eventually it was time to shower and change to head off to catch the sunset at Mallory Square. We decided to have an early dinner though at Caroline’s Café on Duval street first. I love the atmosphere at sunset at the Square and the buzz of the place. The sunset was a bit cloudy but still a good one.
We watched the hilarious Bushman frightening the passers by – some of the reactions were so funny!

We walked just along to the bar at Bistro 249 and had cocktails. The barman was incredibly hard working and all alone in serving both the tables and the bar!

Then we walked round the building and came across this HUGE yacht called Magic, owned by an American businessman.

Next was Sloppy Joe’s main bar. A band were playing some good tunes – Stones etc. I went to the loo to come back to find Will holding a shot of tequila the group of people next to us had given him! Lucky him!

I had pre-booked our ghost tour from home with the Key West Ghost & Mysteries Tour – recommended on Trip Advisor. We always try to do one of these when we are away and they’re usually good fun – the best one being in St Augustine as it was real and very productive, rather than a theatrical one. We met our guide, Ted, at 9pm and went to locations around town. Of course, he told us about Robert the Doll. This doll really freaks me out and can be found at the East Martello Tower Museum if you want to see him - done it once and won’t be repeating it!

We finished up back at the Hard Rock café upstairs. He handed out some equipment and gave me a device to communicate with. Three words came up on the screen from the spirits, allegedly, which did relate to what he’d been saying. He also gave us some coupons for half price cocktails at the Hard Rock. He was really informative and very friendly. Would recommend a tour with him. keywestghostandmysteriestour/

We ended the evening at Flying Monkeys at Fogarty’s bar. They do frozen slush cocktails there. I went with my usual Mule and Will had a Rum Runner.
There was a mum chicken with a largeish baby there – not the best place to bring your child and could be why she only had one chick. Will forgot she was there when he got up to go to the bar. Next minute there was huge squawking and everyone staring! Mother hen wasn’t pleased. No chickens were hurt in the ordering of the drinks though!

Tomorrow – more Key West and going to see a play!

Index - https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...8#post15400448

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023

Edited at 04:25 PM.
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 22, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Another good day

Joan
Old 14 Apr 22, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs H
slightly serious Dibber

Mrs H's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Glad I’ve just found this as planning a Miami and the Keys trip for November.
It all looks so amazing!
Mrs H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 22, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishnellie
VIP Dibber

scottishnellie's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Mobile

Brilliant day. Sometimes those cloudy sunsets are all the more stunning to watch. I’m loving this trippie ❤️

Helen xx

Here's a link to all my previous trip reports since 2015
trip report list by year
scottishnellie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 22, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
MOUSEMARSH
VIP Dibber

Love Key West and the Sunset at Mallory SQ. We once watched from the Rooftop Bar at the La Concha and it was a mistake as completely missed the atmosphere of it all. Also been rather drunk in Sloppy Joes watching Pete and Wayne(Sadly no longer with us).

If I added it all up I probably could have bought a 4 Bed Detached House
MOUSEMARSH is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 22, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by MOUSEMARSH View Post
Love Key West and the Sunset at Mallory SQ. We once watched from the Rooftop Bar at the La Concha and it was a mistake as completely missed the atmosphere of it all. Also been rather drunk in Sloppy Joes watching Pete and Wayne(Sadly no longer with us).
You can't watch from La Concha's roof any more Good view though albeit not the atmosphere!

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
Florida Road Trip 2022
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 22, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
MOUSEMARSH
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by anji View Post
You can't watch from La Concha's roof any more Good view though albeit not the atmosphere!
Yes I believe its now a Spa! Also no rooms available for our next trip!

If I added it all up I probably could have bought a 4 Bed Detached House
MOUSEMARSH is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 22, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Fantastic reading and a great day.

I am glad (and relieved) that you rated Mel Fishers Museum.

Have you read about Mr Ponce (de Leon) and his friendly welcome to Florida? It is great stuff!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 22, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Fantastic reading and a great day.

I am glad (and relieved) that you rated Mel Fishers Museum.

Have you read about Mr Ponce (de Leon) and his friendly welcome to Florida? It is great stuff!
Yes, don't mess with the Calusa! There's the big bridge in St Augustine named after him and also the (not) Fountain of Youth.

We really enjoyed the Mel Fisher Museum. He searched sooo long to find the Atocha. I loved seeing all the artefacts and the video.

Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
Florida Road Trip 2022