Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 17 May 22, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I’ve said it already but I’ll say it again you definitely do NOT need to do a guided tour of the North Shore - it’s extremely easy to do it on your own (especially for someone as used to travelling independently as you are) and it just doesn’t make sense to spend a day of your Waikiki stay doing it when you’re moving to the North Shore for six nights afterwards. Plus it will be overpriced, you’ll be on someone else’s itinerary and it will no doubt include tourist traps like the Dole Plantation but charge you for the privilege.

I would also gently suggest that you might find a whole day in Waikiki a head crusher. I would instead suggest several ‘wandering around’ sessions over a few days. Two hours here / there rather than the whole day?

Add Diamond Head to your Waikiki list. It’s a must and you can get public transport or Uber to get there. It will be a PITA getting back to Diamond Head from the North Shore but it’s right next to Waikiki. What about a sunset sail? (Not my thing but very popular). Rent some Bikis and travel around Waikiki: Ala Moana Park / Magic Island / down to the base of Diamond Head.

Rainbow Drive through (walking distance from Waikiki) for an iconic plate lunch?

Punchbowl Would be a must for you I think.

Waimea Falls I’d suggest but maybe tricky getting there unless Uber?

I agree Waikiki is a tacky place. Personally I love it. But I am confident there activities in / around that area to keep you occupied, because you only have three days.

Also: Hyatt Place is a MUCH better option that Princess K. I meant to suggest some other options as well as the Queen Kapiolani but your budget is bigger than my suggestions would have been

Edited at 08:28 PM.
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 22, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I am going to ride on your coattails if that is ok CFB. We have just booked Hawaii for Christmas.

So far I have booked 4 night at Hyatt Centric on Waikiki. I always thought I would do two Hawaiian islands but I am tempted to just do one due to time we have, I don’t know if I am not making the most of it if I do that though as who knows when we will get to Hawaii again.

Where is Turtle Bay by the way. I tried searching but I only found somewhere in Chelmsford, must be the name of a dining chain as well.
How many nights do you have Claudette?

Christmas is a super popular time hence pricey.
Old 17 May 22, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
How many nights do you have Claudette?

Christmas is a super popular time hence pricey.
My international (LAX) flights give me fifteen days. I haven’t booked the Hawaii flights yet, but would want to give myself a couple of days breathing space either end.
Claudette is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 22, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Eeyorefanuk View Post
Have you thought about a luau or the Polynesian centre?
A luau is on Mandie’s ‘must do’ list.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 22, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
My international (LAX) flights give me fifteen days. I haven’t booked the Hawaii flights yet, but would want to give myself a couple of days breathing space either end.
General consensus is a week per island. I once did Oahu 6 nights and Maui 3 (going against the good advice) and didn’t regret it at the time but I did waste time and money transiting from one island to the next (which takes up a good part of a day unbelievably). Which island(s) are you drawn to? Maybe not Kauai if December?

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
A luau is on Mandie’s ‘must do’ list.
I’ve never done one! I’m REALLY good at finding a place to have a drink with a good viewing spot of the Luau taking place next door though

That said I would actually really like to do one and I wonder if Waikiki is a better location to do that rather than Turtle Bay?