Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 May 22, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Cruise ship luggage dropped into sea. Updated with outcome

Not sure if anyone can help?

We disembarked a cruise ship yesterday in Civitavecchia, and unfortunately all of our suitcases were dropped by a forklift into the sea. They were recovered by divers, but everything inside was water logged, and the cases damaged. They were so heavy with water we could not travel home with them and had to abandon them on the assurance they would be sent on to us…

We signed forms from the cruise line that would be for our travel insurance however, we dont feel it should be down to our insurers to pay this as it was the fault and liability of the cruise line, and we think there is something called the ‘Athens convention’ that covers us? Can anyone shed any light on how this would work please?

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816

Edited at 01:57 PM.
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 22, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
katebush95
VIP Dibber

OMG what an absolute nightmare for you! Could your insurers claim off theirs as happens with car insurance?

Glenbrook Villa April 2009
Highgrove Villa July 2011
New York New York April 2017

Back to the magic take two! November 2022 Pre-Trip report
katebush95 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 22, 09:02 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

That is despicable, what a thing to happen !

Nothing legal, just wishing you well.

Disney332
Old 14 May 22, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Wow, what a way to end a holiday - at least it was on the way home!

I'm guessing as you've signed a form then you have legally agreed to pursue your insurance. Do you have a copy of the form?

I'd be likely to just claim on my insurance as this will be quickest and easiest rather than trying to chase the cruise company even though you've said you won't.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 22, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
quartergill
VIP Dibber

Shocking behaviour by cruise company. No advice, sorry, other than contacting your insurance company. Wishing you well in resolving matters.
quartergill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 22, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

It was actually the port handlers, not the cruise line who disembarked the luggage. It was an accident, am sure someone else had a bad day not just us! (Forklift driver…)

We are just trying to find out if our luggage is being sent back, and how or when, and then see if anything is salvageable.

The longer it takes the worse it will be (mould)

Next time I cruise am carrying my own luggage off!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 22, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Island mamma
slightly serious Dibber

I don't have particular knowledge but would let your insurance company sort it out. This is exactly why you have insurance - to cover you for unfortunate events. In my experience insurance companies are pretty canny. If there is a legal route for them to recoup payment from the cruise line then they will know about it
Island mamma is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 22, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

on my, what a thing to happen. I would imagine the insurers will take it up for you, that's what you pay them for. They will seek to reclaim it back. Good luck, don't be trying to salvage too much, it will surely be ruined unless it's plastic?
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 22, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

OP - was the forklift ‘service’ something that you paid the port directly for, or was it part of the cruise service? If the latter I would still see it as the cruise company’s problem. I would try them first before insurance as insurance may not give you full value etc. if they don’t want to know I’d consider Twitter etc ( I don’t think they can take the attitude that it’s for you to sort out unless it was a service that wasn’t through them)
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 22, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Sorry to hear this, I would treating it as a car accident.

Go to my insurers and let them sort it for me, I know it’s the handlers fault but that’s for your insurance to claim against their insurance.

Hope you get a quick resolution.
captain-codeye is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List