Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 Jul 18, 06:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Simmyoto
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by meboo View Post
My son did in May - was ticketed as an airtanker both ways. It wasn’t on the way out but was on the way back. Only overhead TVs on an airtanker. It should be clear from your booking if it’s an airtanker
This is incorrect. There are 2 x airtankers on the man to mco route, as corrected by PPM they are both full economy cabins only one has seatback ife this is G-VYGK the other is G-VYGM that has no ife but has the streaming system. If you look on your booking confirmation there is a section under your flight info that says "Note: This flight will be operated by AirTanker on behalf of Thomas Cook Airlines. For product information please see our website Partner Airlines, and look for aircraft registration and then it says either G-VYGK or G-VYGM.

Thomas cooks website that gives info on the specifications is:

thomascookairlines/e...r-airlines.jsp

Edited at 07:57 AM.
Simmyoto is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 18, 07:32 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Simmyoto View Post
This is incorrect. There are 2 x airtankers on the man to mco route, one has seatback ife this is G-VYGK which is a full economy only cabin, the other is G-VYGM that is premium and economy that has no ife but has the streaming system. If you look on your booking confirmation there is a section under your flight info that says "Note: This flight will be operated by AirTanker on behalf of Thomas Cook Airlines. For product information please see our website Partner Airlines, and look for aircraft registration and then it says either G-VYGK or G-VYGM.

Thomas cooks website that gives info on the specifications is:

thomascookairlines/e...r-airlines.jsp
To correct a small error, both A330s leased by Airtanker Leasing to TC are Economy only.
The link posted does confirm this. No Premium on either.

Edited at 07:33 AM.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 18, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Just a wee bit more background information on the “ Airtankers”;as we all call them

Airtanker is a company, not a plane The two that TC lease are both Airbus A330s part of the RAF surge fleet of Voyager Airtankers that are currently not required by the RAF.
As far as I am aware they can be recalled to duty in times of national crisis.
The first is kitted out with full TC economy interior inc seatback IFE, and is long term leased by TC.
The second has standard Airbus basic all economy interior with overhead screens. It has a streaming IFE unit fitted by TC. This aircraft is the same spec as an RAF A330 operated by Airtanker that is used by the RAF for “ Airbridge” operations between RAF Brize Norton and the Falkland Islands.

A good read for anyone interested in the planes, and what they do for the country. If you watched the BBC flypast for the 100 years of the RAF there was a Voyager Airtanker in the flypast noted as the largest RAF operated aircraft .

airtanker/
airtanker/leasing
airtanker/raf-voyager

Well with a 15min browse.
I hope this extra info is helpful to anyone interested in the planes they fly on

Edited at 07:56 AM.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 18, 07:56 AM  
Link to this Post
CuriousAlice
slightly serious Dibber

We flew with them 3 weeks ago from Manchester to MCO. It was an airtanker plane both ways with the seatback IFE. We didnt upgrade the IFE as we had tablets but there was something decent to watch each way in the free selection. DD liked the audio collection they had (free). We were auto-allocated extra leg room seats going out so that was a bonus, Only ever flown to US with BA and Virgin - I didn't miss the free booze (only bought a couple of g&t). Plane was better than the last BA one and while Virgin have split our family up twice, on board the TC crew actually asked if anyone was split and they would try to reshuffle. Toilets were kept pretty clean as staff kept checking on them. Staff were actually really lovely. Wouldn't hesitate to use TC again.

Edited at 07:57 AM.
CuriousAlice is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 18, 08:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Uncle paul
Swimming at the All Star Resort

Hi guys, I’m a bit confused, wife and I are looking to book TC Manchester to Orlando for next year. Some comments here say they are economy only, however, the flights that we are trying to book say the front end is premium for which they’re charging a hell of a lot extra.
Are you saying this is a ruse by TC? and we’ll end up with an “air tanker”?
Uncle paul is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 18, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
salmon70
Imagineer

Mobile

I've just checked my booking and both legs say:

"This flight will be operated by AirTanker on behalf of Thomas Cook Airlines. For product information please see our website Partner Airlines, and look for
aircraft registration G-VYGK".

My DD will be so pleased as she is normally glued to the films for the whole journey whereas I'm a complete fidgit and can never manage to watch 1 film to the end.

Thank you all for your help 😊.
salmon70 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 18, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Bolto6
Imagineer

I deliberately booked the flight that didn’t say operated by Airtanker, after reading threads on here. Both our outbound and inbound also have a premium cabin, although we are going economy.

My booking says Thomas Cook Airlines / Condor operated flight.

We are on the 12.55 from MAN on 16/09 and 19.15 from MCO 30/09.

EDIT* I also booked direct on the Thomas Cook Airlines website.

Edited at 09:13 AM.
Bolto6 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 18, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Simmyoto
Proud to wear my Ears

I deliberately avoided the condor flight as it took me 2 years and 2 German small claims court cases to get compensation for a 6 HR delay on a flight I had with them for fuerteventura. It was a nightmare as I had to file everything in German via post to the German court. I got the compensation and court costs in the end but it was a nightmare.. even resolva wouldn't take the case as it's so much hassle!
Simmyoto is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 18, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Simmyoto
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by Uncle paul View Post
Hi guys, I’m a bit confused, wife and I are looking to book TC Manchester to Orlando for next year. Some comments here say they are economy only, however, the flights that we are trying to book say the front end is premium for which they’re charging a hell of a lot extra.

Not every TC flight from man to mco is contracted to airtanker, there are flights operated by Thomas cook airlines and condor as well, when you do your booking it will tell you who the flight operator is. When it all comes down to it it's entirely possible that due to a maintenance issue / delay etc etc the flight could be switched to a different operator anyway. I'd prefer a flight with seatback ife direct with TC or even the airtanker plane with seatback but at the end of the day as long as it gets me to Florida safely and on time I can live with whatever turns up on the day

Edited at 10:28 AM.
Old 21 Jul 18, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
baboons
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Uncle paul View Post
If the seat map says premium, it's a TC plane with premium.

Things can change though. I was booked on an Airtanker originally, but it was changed to a TC plane 3 months out, so I upgraded to premium. Service was excellent.
baboons is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List