Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Jul 18, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
keeley78
Imagineer

keeley78's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 18
We have been 4 times & have only done the Disney parks on 2 of those, the second time we went to Disney was when we realised its not for us really, we're not doing the Disney parks again this year & highly doubt we ever will again, we all love universal so we're going again along with discovery cove, seaworld & Aquatica
We're staying onsite at Disney for our last 3 nights but that's just to do Disney springs, Boardwalk & a bit of resort hopping, just made financial & logistical sense to stay there

Rosen inn @ pointe May 2010, Rosen inn @ pointe & got married May 2011, Clarion inn LBV May 2012, Rosen international, RPR & Hilton Clearwater July/aug 2013
New York July 2016
Rosen @ pointe, Cabana Bay & All star sports Oct/ Nov 2018, New York July 2023
keeley78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 18, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by neatfrk View Post
My family is pretty much 'everything other than Disney' at this point.

We enjoyed Universal so much last time, next trip we are only doing Universal and KSC (which is great!).

Disney is just too complicated these days. There are a plenty of other options around - all with much lower level of planning stress.
I very much agree with you. My last vestige of interest in the Disney franchise disappeared with the new FP system. We only visited Disney California this Easter because they still use the old paper system where you are not severely disadvantaged for turning up on the day. We still didn't 'feel the magic'.. possibly because so many rides were closed.
There are plenty of other amazing (and simpler) things to do in Florida.

I almost feel that Disney believe they are 'bestowing' a wonderful opportunity on me, should I be lucky enough to have one of their theme park tickets (rather like the Willy Wonka chocolate bar). To me, they are simply 3rd best of three very good franchises that operate in the area. Nothing against them, but I simply don't swallow the 'Disney Magic' and in truth' never did. An extra £1500 on the vacation for the four of us plus parking makes the decision extremely simple. This pays for 2/3 to 3/4 of our next set of US flights.

For me, my nightmare vacation would be 14 days 'in the bubble' having arrived on the Magic express with DDP and FP, never visiting anything outside and with no personal transport. It may be for many others and I am in no way criticising them, but it simply is not for us. Disney is in our past.

Edited at 11:37 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 18, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
peewakio
Very Serious Dibber

peewakio's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Next year will be my 10th trip to Florida and the 5th without kids. I'm a non-driver so restricted to Orlando with the occasional coach journey to KSC or Busch Gardens. That then leaves us with 16 or 17 days to fill and considering we're not big on roller coasters so only do a couple of days at Universal, a day at DC and a day at Seaworld. That then leaves approx. 12 or 13 days
I couldn't contemplate a Florida holiday without at least 4 or 5 days at Disney with 2 of those at my favourite park Epcot.
Next year we're staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge for 14 days with Disney tickets included so we'll probably do more than we normally would but will love it whether or nor we spent what some would consider too much time at Disney.
Another thing to remember is that some people do Disney only holidays.
Personally speaking, I think you'll probably regret not having at least one day at Disney with Magic Kingdom being my choice if going once only. That memory of seeing the castle for the first time will stay with you always.
Hey whatever you decide to do I'm sure you'll love every minute of it.
peewakio is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 18, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinythepanda
Getting Excited

Mobile

We are going in February for 7 nights and will be doing Universal and Seaworld. We are family of 4, the boys are 7 and 9. If the weather isn’t great and we can’t do a pool/water park day we may have a day and night on site at Disney.
Tinythepanda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 18, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
ianc
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Motherofboys View Post
I was just wondering if anyone has been to Florida but not visited the Disney parks?
Yes, literally MILLIONS of people.

The official number of visitors to Florida in 2017 was 116.5 million. To Orlando, 72 million, and a lot of those don't go to Disney, as you can see on this thread.

At Regal Palms we get lots of guests who don't go the Parks - they just use our facilities and chill out, and do other things, just like people who don't go to Florida.

Just depends on what you enjoy and what you can afford.
ianc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 18, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Some Banana
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We are going May 2019 and have booked the 3 for 2 Busch seaworld and aquatica tickets and will do one day at magic kingdom too. Also hoping to fit in kennedy space centre. I was toying with the idea of changing tickets to universal but decided against it as im not sure our kids at 5, 8 and 10 will get the most benefit out of it for the extra cost this time. Disney would cost around £2000 for 5 of is so that is why we are trying it this way.
Some Banana is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 18, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We did Orlando and only went to Discovery cove then we drove to Marco Island where we had a Villa

Lots of great places to see in Florida
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 18, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

We are going next year for the 3rd time and not doing Disney. I will miss it, but I'm looking forward to more of a relaxed pace holiday. We're going in 24 days & doing Disney/universal/seaworld, but next year we will be doing Universal & Discovery Cove/Kennedy. If we get the timings right (we're going in October) then we will do Mickeys Not So Scary Halloween Party for the evening so dd (who will be 13 next year) & I get our Disney fix!

You can visit Disney Springs for some Disney too. I think there is so much to do in Florida that if you don't do Disney it's not a deal breaker, plus, you will get the bug therefore can visit Disney on the next visit 😉

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 18, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
CuriousAlice
slightly serious Dibber

DS & DH are not fans of Disney so we have skipped it the last 2 times. Last time we toured southern Florida and then did 10 days in Orlando with only universal and Seaworld tickets. Just got back 2 weeks ago from 2 weeks in Orlando with only universal and Seaworld again. To be honest I didn't really feel I was missing out as there is still so much to do and see. I could go and happily do no parks at all. However DD and I will probably do Disney ourselves next time
CuriousAlice is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 18, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
MENTALMUM
Very Serious Dibber

I go to Orlando every year and do different things each time I go depending on who i travel with. I love Disney but have had trips where I have done no theme parks at all and just taken in the natural beauty that is Florida. We have, as a family, swam with manatees. visited Big Cat rescue and got up close and personal with some seriously big cats. We have visited a giraffe rescue and learned far more about conservation than I ever thought I would. We have canoed down a river in a country park with 12 foot alligators basking on banks.
We have enjoyed some amazing sunsets in Clearwater and weathered the damage from hurricanes Matthew and Wilma and Irma.We have visited zoo's and wildlife parks and feel we have got to know more of the real Florida and not the 'magic' bits.
You will have a fantastic time and not miss Disney one little bit as there is so much else going on that you can all enjoy.

Edited at 06:35 PM.
MENTALMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List