Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Jul 18, 01:57 AM  
Link to this Post
The Muppets
Very Serious Dibber

Definitely before results.

Our son finished A levels on 16 June (some of his friends a few days after)
He had various parties after that for the next 2 weeks then end of school celebrations around the 30 June. Lads trip to Prague and Budapest 4 July for 6 days and he’s now with us in Hawaii.
We are back 10 days before results day on 16 August
All going to plan we will have 3 weeks to sort everything out before freshers week starting 7 Sep, along with a few gatherings with his friends.
So far these timings have worked well and I couldn’t imagine waiting until after results. Sorting everything out for uni along with holiday packing, holiday itself, unpacking and getting a younger child back to school for around 1 September all in the space of 2 weeks would for me give me a few sleepless nights.
The Muppets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 18, 05:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Disneymaddaddy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Beaker7929 View Post
I've booked to go away just my daughter and I for the first week of July as she'll have finished her A Levels by the end of June. That way she can have some down-time to unwind after the stress of exams, and celebrate them being over, before she gets her results
We are doing the same and it will also be cheaper than school holidays!

WDW Visited in 1992, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013
Disneymaddaddy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 18, 06:55 AM  
Link to this Post
CuriousAlice
slightly serious Dibber

DD18 and DS16 both finished their A levels and GCSEs on 22nd June this year. We went to Florida 24th June for 2 weeks and it was considerably cheaper than during the 6 week break. Took them both a few days to wind down but i think it worked well for them. Neither were interested in prom so didnt care about missing that (both said they wouldnt have gone anyway).

Going after results wasn't possible as DS needs to register for 6th form (if his results are ok) which starts first week of September. Also DD wants to be here to either plan going to uni or to sort out a clearing application.
CuriousAlice is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 18, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post

Away now. Results 16 Aug this year. Several families with kids same age here too.

Was a challenge to squuze it in between school finishing (for other kids) the prom (which was v late) and getting back in sufficient time to rest a bit between returning and exams.

In Greece and easyJet flights didn't seem to bump up but previous years USA flight were markedly more expensive to get back before results day.

Even if unconditional there seem to be a few things to be done between results and term starting. Module choices (which if you not quick off the mark can leave you with more limited choice) some accommodation refinements, student bank accounts etc. If going through clearing is a possibility at all then I would definitely say before. Overall I think before not after.

Ds fitted in a sneaky week with their friends first week of sept. But worth scoping out when the uni starts. My DD is starting a week earlier than I expected (15th Sept) but unis may vary. So took her week away with friends before prom.

Edited at 10:15 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 18, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

We're in this position this year for both A level and Gcse results so will be away before the results come out. Much to my annoyance as it's far too early IMHO. However I'd sooner be home after ( just in case) things need to be sorted and of course we are tied to school holidays with youngest returning for 6th form so basically to fit a 2 week holiday in this year going before was our only option.