Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Apr 21, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
smp020
I have Ears

Plus size flying

Hi all, our family is booked to fly out in October, all being well. Now as we creep slowly towards the date I am growing nervous of my partner and his seat. He is a large chap and I'm not sure he will fit in a seat, we are flying virgin, has anyone any experience or wisdom they could share? I can't see much from Virgin on their site.
smp020 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
IBEX23
VIP Dibber

Hi,

Please don’t worry - the seat dimensions don’t sound much but they’re a lot more roomier than you think.

You don’t mention your husbands size or weight. I’m female and only 5’6 but I am plus size and I carry most of my weight around my hips and stomach.

I’ve not had a problem fitting in a plane seat and I’m firmly in the obese category. With Virgin and BA, I’ve not needed a seat belt extender but I have on Ryanair.

They’re easy to come by if your partner needs one, you just need to ask a flight attendant.
IBEX23 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
smp020
I have Ears

Thanks for your comment, he is about 5'11 weight unknown but is about a 56 inch waist.
smp020 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Concerned
slightly serious Dibber

I'm 'plus size' and I found economy seats to be rather uncomfortable. I needed an extension belt, which was embarrassing to ask for. When I travelled Premium Economy I had a nice spacious seat with a decent length belt.
Concerned is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Concerned
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by smp020 View Post
Thanks for your comment, he is about 5'11 weight unknown but is about a 56 inch waist.
I have a 54" chest and waist and now travel Premium - worth the extra money. Anyway, I'm now dieting and aiming to go down to 44" at least.
Concerned is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

I jist ask quietly for an extender belt as I board. They bring it instantly with no fuss.

I found PE worse for me. The tray is in the arm rest and hinged in the middle, so it sat on top of my atomach like a roof! I couldn’t use it.

We get a row of 2 so it’s just us and we can ‘spill over’ onto each other.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
I jist ask quietly for an extender belt as I board. They bring it instantly with no fuss.

I found PE worse for me. The tray is in the arm rest and hinged in the middle, so it sat on top of my atomach like a roof! I couldn’t use it.

I was really disappointed in PE although I could use table it's not the same being unable to lift arm rest. I also couldn't use foot rest when person in front fully reclined. And indeed I struggled to get back in my seat when I went to the loo.

The premium seats on the Dreamliner are much more roomy and the reclining system is totally different. Not that many recline because you have more room anyway.

Edited at 02:35 PM.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Gill H View Post

Someone will be along soon to suggest you buy your own extender belt (they are easy to get on eBay etc.)

Please don't do this if you are hoping to avoid drawing attention, as many airlines refuse to allow you to use your own and they will obviously end up having to make more of a noticable intervention if they need to explain why you can't use yours than if you do what someone else suggested and just ask politely for one as you board
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by 123 View Post
Someone will be along soon to suggest you buy your own extender belt (they are easy to get on eBay etc.)

Please don't do this if you are hoping to avoid drawing attention, as many airlines refuse to allow you to use your own and they will obviously end up having to make more of a noticable intervention if they need to explain why you can't use yours than if you do what someone else suggested and just ask politely for one as you board
Oh goodness this happened to the person in front of me on a flight home. She was literally in tears poor woman and felt she had been insulted by a member of the CC. It took me a while to work out what was going on, various crew members were kneeling down next to her, then I thought they would move her from the exit seat too but surprisingly they didn't. (I have said before I am a nosy person haven't I?)
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 21, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Yes, some airlines won’t let you sit in the exit row if you have a seatbelt extender, because it could drag on the floor in the event of an evacuation and would be a safety risk.

I found this out the hard way - but the crew member was superb, she asked if anyone would like to switch rows with us but didn’t say why. A very tall couple glady grabbed the exit row seats!
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List