Notices
Offers, Discounts, Codes, Cashback and UK Shopping Money Saving tips, UK shopping topics , discount links and offers.

Old 7 Nov 20, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
I have a couple.of Philips although they are both AndroidTV ones. The standard OS can be a bit hit and miss, but as you won't be relying on that for apps I wouldn't be too worried there, so you could go for a lower model in the Philips.

Ambilight is a love or hate thing. Have it on for the one in the lounge, off for the one in the bedroom.

I remember looking at John Lewis for someone the other day and they had a Panasonic which would fit the bill I believe.

But those Philips prices are good.

Last year Richer Sounds did a price match guarantee in early to mid November that if the prices dropped in black Friday they would refund the difference. They were true to their word and refunded an addition £200 on the TV I bought. So maybe worth looking out for if you want to buy early.

One thing I should have checked, I take it you aren't going to be doing gaming on the TV? Some makes like LG tend to be better for this than Philips.
I was looking at the Philips as they seemed to tick the HDR boxes as well as the other things. I'm not a gamer, but I'll keep looking. Googling didn't produce a lot of Philips feedback so I assume they've dropped out of favour a bit. My TV before this one was a Philips but, in technology terms, that was several lifetimes ago. Maybe I'll take another look at Hisense as well.
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 20, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Philips in the UK dropped.im the early 2000's but were bought by another company, so no longer part of the wider Philips company.

They have been on a resurgence in the.last 7 years or so and are now back up there with the best of them out there. For example they are better than the equivalent Sony these days.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Nov 20, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
The difference between ULG and Dolby Vision or HDR10+ is huge and pretty much universally agreed on.

It's like the difference between 1080p and 4K in itself. It would have to be very poorly set up to not be able to see the difference clearly.

Given it is now becoming standard at no extra cost, it would be like buying an HD TV today instead of UHD. Pointless and not future proofing.

I know you wanted QLED for the brightness and therefore had to compromise but others don't need to do that and can have both at the price point they are looking at.

Not sure why you are bringing it up, other than the fact it rules out Samsung TV's and feel the need to defend their choice to exclude it for some reason.
We we will just have to agree to disagree in our opinions. I think is fair that we all can express our opinions even though they are different.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Loftus just spotted this looks a good deal.
Old 8 Nov 20, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

I struggle with all the model numbers there are so many. V hard to tell what is different. What's the diff with that LG and LG 43UN73006LC which is 349.

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18
MariaLynda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Loftus just spotted this looks a good deal.
Cheers YT, will take a look.
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by MariaLynda View Post
I struggle with all the model numbers there are so many. V hard to tell what is different. What's the diff with that LG and LG 43UN73006LC which is 349.
Not much, both only support up to HDR10, neither do HDR10+ or Dolby Vision.

But at a sub £350 price bracket is not surprising. Another £50 gets you much better TV's.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
ncmurray
Imagineer

OP, just a couple of points.

Costco is usually very competitive on price, and could be worth a look. I know they have some well prices HiSense tvs.

Also, a couple of those Phillips tvs have a wide footprint. Be sure that they will fit on your tv stand.

If you finally decide on a model, it is well worth your time looking it up on Price Spy to see where the best price is.
Old 10 Nov 20, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

Well, with my usual impatience, I bit the bullet and went for one of the Philips TVs I linked to earlier. Only, against my normal better judgement, I've bought it from Curry's as it was over £100 cheaper than Richer Sounds.

This is the one...

currys/gbuk/tv-and...06085-pdt.html

It's being delivered on Thursday so hopefully I won't regret the haste!

Many thanks for the advice.
Old 10 Nov 20, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Enjoy your purchase, roll on Thursday.

Don't forget to sign up for your 10 free movies philips/c-w/promotions/rakutentv.html