Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 13 Nov 19, 06:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Scarla
VIP Dibber

'Once in a lifetime' trip - WDW onsite & DDP Feb 2019 - Day 7 - Discovery Cove

Hi & welcome to day 7 - Discovery cove.

The trip index can be found here

After a very busy week we were all looking forward to a complete chillout day.

I had booked DC even before booking Disney so it had been a long time coming & couldn't believe it was finally here as it is something I never thought I would ever do.
Originally i had just booked with the dolphin swim but upgraded to the elite cabana package which included extras, such as the photo package + a buoy delivery which I planned for the kids as a birthday surprise during the dolphin swim.

Anyway, as we didn't have a car I booked an Uber for 06.30 as I had heard from forums on the Dibb that it was best to get to DC early so had downloaded the app & had my account set up specifically for our trip.

I had never used an Uber before, but am now a total fan, so easy & you can see your driver arriving. It cost us about $20 from CBR to DC which I thought was reasonable as it took about 25 mins, although I didn't really have anything to compare it with, tbf.

When we got to DC the foyer was already filling with people & there was a greeter outside welcoming us. We booked ourselves in, had our pictures taken & had a free coffee while we waited for the park to open properly.

As we had booked a cabana, we we told to make our way to a meeting point after breakfast to be introduced to our host.

At 7.30 we were let in & made our way down to breakfast, which was really tasty & made a change from the same thing at OPR

We sat outside watching the flamingos wandering around while we ate although the kids were itching to get in the water.

After we had finished we made out way to the meeting point to await our host & be shown our cabana, it was probably about 8.30 before we were all settled. we were over the moon with our location, right next to the dolphin pool Our host was great too, very rarely saw her but we were always coming back to find the fridge re-stocked etc, she also collected all the extras we had got with the package, (DC towels, a backpack, & some photo frames to go with the photos we had chosen to have printed) & left them in the cabana for us to collect at the end of the day. Needless to say we left her a nice tip

The guys couldn't wait to get in the water & as our dolphin swim wasn't until 11.30 we had a bit of time, so the kids played in the shallows while we got settled.

Once the lazy river was open, you couldn't get Alex out of it, he just went round & round all day apart from the Dolphin swim & lunch, I couldn't even persuade him to go in the reef or see the birds & he absolutely loved the snorkel, (he didn't take it out of his mouth) whereas it took me a while to get used to it.

Whereas Scarla stayed pretty close to shore & was content too & fro the cabana.

Then it was time for our dolphin swim. After the briefing we walked into the water along with another lady & her son from Scotland, (I think)
There are about 3 -4 different areas of the lagoon where parties met with the dolphins & it just happened to be that we were in the deepest section. Before the dolphin even came near us Scarla was panicking & starting to cry, so after a couple of minutes, I decided it was best to take her to shore & left her wrapped in a towel on a lounger watching before making my way carefully back to our party.

We all absolutely loved meeting our dolphin but were in the water for about 30 mins & it is freezing

I'm so glad i upgraded, the pics of Alex are priceless

The trainers had asked Alex if he would like to help with some 'training' (as he was being presented with the buoy) which he originally agreed to but then changed his mind, i think he was too cold, so it was down to me, but he did pose with us for the pics.

I had wanted the buoy to say 'Happy Birthday Scarla & Alex' but it is only 20 characters with spaces so i eventually went with 'Scarla & Alex 2019!' & its a lovely keepsake from the trip.

After saying goodbye to our dolphin we headed for lunch which was tasty & gave us a chance to warm up after being in the cold water.

After lunch i wanted to go in the reef, however, no-one else did so i was only in there long enough to take a few pics & tbh, i was a bit freaked out by the size of the rays

The rest of the day was spent relaxing & chilling in & out of the water & cabana until it was time to leave.

We ordered an Uber to Walmart as this was on Alex's wish list of things to do during the trip, (don't ask me why, ) where we picked up some snacks before heading back to the resort.

Anyway, thats it for day 7, thanks for reading.

Next up Day 8 - Epcot (Part 2)

Feb 2019 - 2 weeks onsite at CBR with DDP
Oct 2022 - 3 weeks offsite in 4 bed villa at Emerald Island - Pre-trip report is here

'Once in a lifetime' trip report - CBR + DDP Feb 2019

Edited at 12:05 AM.
Scarla is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 20, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Ivegottadream
VIP Dibber

Mobile

What a relaxing but fun day! It's 4 years since we went to DC but DD and DM still remember swimming with the dolphin as the best thing ever.
Alex and the dolphin look brilliant, did Scarla not want to kiss him?
Ivegottadream is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 20, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Scarla
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ivegottadream View Post
What a relaxing but fun day! It's 4 years since we went to DC but DD and DM still remember swimming with the dolphin as the best thing ever.
Alex and the dolphin look brilliant, did Scarla not want to kiss him?
Scarla didn’t stay in the water long enough to meet the dolphin, however, she was quite happy to watch from the shore, maybe next time

Oct 2022 - 3 weeks offsite in 4 bed villa at Emerald Island - Pre-trip report is here

Scarla is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jul 20, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
PixieBoot
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

What a beautiful day, wonderful pics to look back on.

Oct 2003 couples hol Kissimmee > WDW, Universal, Seaworld, Busch, Daytona

Jul 2015 Family of 5 Kissimmee/RPR Club > Universal, Wet n Wild, Kennedy SC, WDW

Aug 2018 Family if 5 AMI/RPR Club/Kissimmee > Universal, VBay, WDW

Hopeful for Jul 2021 > RPR Club/Y Club
PixieBoot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 20, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Kidd McFluff
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Sounds great. Never been to discovery cove but have heard great things. Lovely photos and sounds like the cabana was a great idea.
Kidd McFluff is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 20, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
kirstielou
Imagineer

We did DC in 2001 & 2006. We want to return with out twins in 2021. I was thinking about a cabana... will we still get some sun or are they really shaded?
Twins 2nd visit May/June 2022
kirstielou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 20, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Scarla
VIP Dibber

Kirstielou, it is definitely worth it. The shade is over the table & chairs where the snacks & fridge was & we also had a couple of loungers & a hammock which was in the sun, so best of both worlds really.
I also liked that we had a locker there so we didn't have to keep traipsing back & forth to the locker area & its nice to have somewhere private to relax too.
when we were shown to our cabana we were asked what drinks we wanted & they stocked up on them so apart from lunch there is no need to go anywhere else.
Well defo book one again next time

Old 19 Oct 20, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Mightyfraz
Getting Excited

Fantastic day and photos... Walmart is a must, where else can you spend 3 hours walking around :-)
Mightyfraz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List