Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 14 Apr 20, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

Would you cancel? DCL cruise September 2020

This is the first cruise we've ever had booked! We have a 4 night DCL cruise booked in September, and are currently a bit apprehensive given how often ships are featuring in COVID 19 coverage, so are wondering what to do. I thought I'd canvass a few opinions here :

1. Cancel it ourselves, either now/in advance of 90 days before sailing

Assuming the cruise runs as planned in this scenario.

If we cancel it now or in advance of 90 days, we would lose our non refunfable deposit, which is c£600 (no refund as we had booked concierge).

Wouldn't expect Disney to refund the deposit or travel insurance to cover as it would be our decision.

2. Cancel it less than 90 days before

We would have to pay in full soon, which is c£2,500 on top of deposit. We can afford to do this, so not an issue in itself.

In this case, we are thinking the cruise might run as planned but we might not be able to get to the USA if flight restrictions are not lifted.

If we wait to cancel at the point we know we can't get there, Disney would retain a higher portion of the cost, but we may be able to reclaim this under our travel insurance (annual policy which automatically renewed at the start of this month).

3. Don't cancel it at all

In this case, we assume we get to the US without an issue. I think there are then several possibilities:

(a) If we cancel it, Disney retain more of the cost and there wouldn't be a travel insurance claim given it's our choice not to go, there's no restriction.

(b) Disney decide to cancel it, we get a full refund (presumably).

(c) We go on the cruise and enjoy the concierge lounge free booze to make up for the stress!

I haven't included the option of Disney cancelling it earlier than quite close to the time, given how cancellations are going so far.

I am going round in circles about what the "best" thing to do is (I am going between thinking 1 is the most sensible while hoping for 3(c)!) so just interested in others thoughts.
Wordsworth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 20, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

I have a 5 night Western Europe Cruise booked on Disney Magic for September 2020.

Right now the ship is still in Florida and the May 11 Transatlantic has been cancelled.

My hope is that Disney does a transatlantic with or with passengers some time in the summer so that my cruise will go ahead.

If the ship does not do a transatlantic, then my cruise will be cancelled.

But right now, for me its too soon to do anything.

My paid in full date is in June.

I'm waiting until my paid in full date to see what the situation is then.

Yes its crazy and the uncertinty is driving me crazy. I was in the middle of cruiseplanning when all this started. I want to get back to that happy frame of mind, but I have to be realistic too.

Just hold your nerve for a while longer. Don't make any decisions due to fear of what may happen.

Base any decisions on official information from your Government and the cruise company.

Edited at 03:00 PM.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 20, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
syber32
Serious Dibber

I'm am also supposed to be on the Western Europe cruise in September. We have paid half our balance with the rest due in June. I'm going to just wait it out and if possible if they do cancel see if we can transfer what we have paid to do the 7 night Norwegian cruise next year instead.
syber32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 20, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

We've got a Royal Caribbean cruise booked for September 13th. We will be moving that cruise to sometime in 2021, probably September or October.

The risk of disruption just feels too high to properly enjoy what is supposed to be a relaxing week. Still planning to go to Florida, will just spend two weeks at WDW (hopefully).
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 20, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by syber32 View Post
I'm am also supposed to be on the Western Europe cruise in September. We have paid half our balance with the rest due in June. I'm going to just wait it out and if possible if they do cancel see if we can transfer what we have paid to do the 7 night Norwegian cruise next year instead.
waves hi fellow cruise mate

You should join our group on Facebook facebook/groups/580757538995909/ all the Disney Cruise Line updates are being posted as well as cruise planning.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 20, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

Mobile

Yes I would probably cancel..😕
macdonald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Apr 20, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Licoricelover
Excited about Disney

We have also booked a 1 bed concierge for September with a non refundable deposit of $1200 (3 adults two toddlers)We have to pay balance in May and are hoping Disney will delay the balance due.
When hurricane Irma hit we had our non refundable deposit refunded so hoping the same will happen or we will move our deposit until next September.
I would not really want to pay the whole amount as even if the USA is open for business and we are able to fly I’m not sure I’d want to travel this year even though my insurance does cover me for the Coronavirus. Think we would opt for losing the deposit or moving to next year.
Lots of difficult decisions for everyone to make in coming months with flights and accommodation.
We have already moved our Cunard cruise from July 2020 to July 2021.
Licoricelover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Apr 20, 12:34 AM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I’m booked for December, the balance is August, I can’t see me wanting to cruise until a vaccine is available.

I have it I’m my head I will be cancelling the cruise.
captain-codeye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 20, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

We’re booked on a P&O from Southampton in Sept, we’re hoping it will go
Old 21 Apr 20, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks everyone, really interesting to see all your thoughts. I am still swithering over what’s best; hasn’t considered trying to move to a future year.

The way lockdown seems to be being reversed in some states makes me feel even more that we won’t want to cruise, but it’s hard precisely because of how far away it still is.
Wordsworth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List