Notices
UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 18 Aug 20, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridafan View Post
Thank you. Yeah we prefer sand because we think it’s more convenient - making sandcastles is on the list! Lyme Regis is such a quaint place, it’s easy to see why it gets so busy. We have been visiting Bridport (but particularly West Bay) for over 40 years. We used to know the landlord of the Bridport Arms back in the day. We love everything around there and often stayed at the Marquess of Lorne amongst other places. The kids (who are now nearly 30!) didn’t like the beach there because of the pebbles but we loved it. Nice place. Lucky you. The parking tip is a good one - not just for Lyme Regis! Didn’t really think about that!
Fabulous, you probably know the Bridport area better than me! 😂

My family are in the Burton Bradstock area, just outside.

Absolutely love West Bay, my mum has a caravan near there. Best fish and chips ever!

Lyme has always been lovely but my goodness it got even more popular after Broadchurch.
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 20, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Fabulous, you probably know the Bridport area better than me! 😂

My family are in the Burton Bradstock area, just outside.

Absolutely love West Bay, my mum has a caravan near there. Best fish and chips ever!

Lyme has always been lovely but my goodness it got even more popular after Broadchurch.
If visiting Burton Bradstock don't miss the Hive cafe on the beach
Old 18 Aug 20, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
tapley
Apprentice Imagineer

We are looking at booking a cottage or apartment for next July/August in Devon or Cornwall but it’s something we haven’t done for donkeys years and we are a bit out of touch with areas and accessibility to beaches with a baby and two elderly people (that’s me and DH! Lol). I can’t be doing with cliffs and steep steps plus we would most likely have a buggy. Hoping to find a little gem somewhere with a nice sandy beach and an ice cream shop! We have been to Exmouth when our DD was in a buggy and that was nice but she’s the one with the baby now so as you can see, it’s been a while!
Try Goodrington in Paignton a large park area and a sandy safe beach.
tapley is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 20, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by greekgranny View Post
If visiting Burton Bradstock don't miss the Hive cafe on the beach
Ohhh it’s fabulous there! I haven’t been for years! Must go back!
Old 18 Aug 20, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Ohhh it’s fabulous there! I haven’t been for years! Must go back!
We have to have two days in the area, one for the Hive and one for Rachels in West Bay by the harbour!
Old 20 Aug 20, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 53
Originally Posted by tapley View Post
Try Goodrington in Paignton a large park area and a sandy safe beach.
Thanks very much! On the list 👍
Floridafan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 20, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by greekgranny View Post
We have to have two days in the area, one for the Hive and one for Rachels in West Bay by the harbour!
All this is making me want to fit in a little trip to Dorset of our own now! We were remembering our stay in West Bexington before the kids came along. It was our first and only sighting of fireflies! Amazing.
Floridafan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 20, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
pawwavingpuppy
Imagineer

Mobile

I live in South Devon, about 15 minutes from Salcombe. It is absolutely heaving here. Parking in Salcombe is never easy, but now dont even try. Its got a park, but no ride.
Any beach places such as north/south sands in Salcombe, Bigbury/Burgh island, get there by 9.00am or you just can't park🙁

Popped into Dartmouth on Monday, absolutely rammed.

Plus its harvest time so lots of tractors about in our lovely narrow lanes. Have to remind some people they have a reverse gear 😉🙂

Not meaning to put you off, but its incredibly busy.
pawwavingpuppy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 20, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by pawwavingpuppy View Post
I live in South Devon, about 15 minutes from Salcombe. It is absolutely heaving here. Parking in Salcombe is never easy, but now dont even try. Its got a park, but no ride.
Any beach places such as north/south sands in Salcombe, Bigbury/Burgh island, get there by 9.00am or you just can't park🙁

Popped into Dartmouth on Monday, absolutely rammed.

Plus its harvest time so lots of tractors about in our lovely narrow lanes. Have to remind some people they have a reverse gear 😉🙂

Not meaning to put you off, but its incredibly busy.
Thank you- this is the sort of stuff I really need to know. We would avoid August but our DS is a secondary school teacher so we can’t avoid it.
Old 20 Aug 20, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
pawwavingpuppy
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you- this is the sort of stuff I really need to know. We would avoid August but our DS is a secondary school teacher so we can’t avoid it.
We've decided not to go anywhere til the kids go back... LOL.

😁
pawwavingpuppy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List