Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 13 Sep 20, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
CosmicGirl
Apprentice Imagineer

Good idea about the BA holiday!

We were also booked to go May of this year on award tickets. We've rebooked the flights for May 2021 but have only booked one night at an airport hotel, which can be cancelled until the day before arrival. Having award tickets our risk is only £30pp (assuming Virgin can keep its head above water...).

We're less optimistic now than when I rebooked the flights in June but we're keeping the flights as long as we can. I've read several articles about Japan wanting to have the Olympics at all costs, and as a result buying something like 500 million vaccines with different companies for a population of 127 million. I believe they'll do anything in their power to make it work but will they already be open for business in May when the Olympics are scheduled a bit later? We just don't know.

There are three additional factors in play for us personally:
1. we're going the long way around flying to Tokyo from NY so the US is also a concern
2. our first class tickets are a once in a lifetime thing, so we want the full experience instead of having to put masks on between sips of champagne and
3. we've not been to Japan before so we'd prefer if our first visit included TDR's full offerings, instead of no parades, no shows etc.

As for the flight to NY: we're holding off booking that until we can make a definite decision. May tends to be reasonable fare-wise so that's not a concern.

We have two trips in mind for 2021: Japan in May, and a short hop to Orlando for the 50th. Having been to WDW multiple times we're less bothered about not getting the full experience there. So if we can't get something close to the full experience in Japan we will likely postpone that for another year and have a longer FL trip in Sept/Oct instead.

I realise none of this is particularly helpful for your decision but perhaps the "are we willing to accept a less-than-full experience" argument can help you to decide. If that is not a deal breaker, you won't miss the money anytime soon, and you're happy to accept a voucher in the worst case scenario then I would say go for it. There's always room for more in the Japan May 2021 club! Just be sure to double check that you can still get a voucher if the flight is going but you decide not to fly.
CosmicGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 20, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Rae21
Excited about Disney

Thanks for all the info and options guys!
Think I’m gonna go for it - using the BA flight/1 night hotel option. I’ve know got it down to the following:
1 night in Hilton Manchester Airport 21/5
Manchester to Heathrow 22/5 @ 12:10
Heathrow to Haneda arrives 23/5 @ 10:55 (World Traveller)

Tokyo hotel - 23/5 to 2/6
Travel to Osaka via Shinkansen
USJ hotel 2/6 to 5/6

KIX to Heathrow 5/6 @ 11:35 arrives 16:05
Heathrow to Manchester @ 21:00 arrive 22:00

Total £1185

Deposit of £300 rest due 1st May 2021

Edited at 12:25 PM.
Rae21 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 20, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
To be OP I have remembered another thread on the Dibb about only having to pay a deposit rather than everything upfront. On the BA website select flights and holidays tab rather than the flight only tab and then select Create Custom Trip link. This then gives you the option of booking the flight with one nights hotel (or I believe you can select one days car rental but not pick up the car).

I did a dummy run for our proposed trip and it worked out we would have to pay £300 deposit. I have not delved into it any further but this could be an option.
This is what I will do. You can book any hotel and it costs 25.00 (or it did before) to change to another hotel, plus the additional cost once it's available I would only be doing this as the last time I looked they only had one hotel available for next August. More will come available in a few months and beyond though.

Edited at 12:22 PM.
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 20, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Originally Posted by AntonyJ View Post
From all reports it is done - they just need to open the darn thing when they feel it is safe to do so - like the B&TB areas at Tokyo Disney :-(
Thanks for this
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Sep 20, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rae21 View Post
Thanks for all the info and options guys!
Think I’m gonna go for it - using the BA flight/1 night hotel option. I’ve know got it down to the following:
1 night in Hilton Manchester Airport 21/5
Manchester to Heathrow 22/5 @ 12:10
Heathrow to Haneda arrives 23/5 @ 10:55 (World Traveller)

Tokyo hotel - 23/5 to 2/6
Travel to Osaka via Shinkansen
USJ hotel 2/6 to 5/6

KIX to Heathrow 5/6 @ 11:35 arrives 16:05
Heathrow to Manchester @ 21:00 arrive 22:00

Total £1185

Deposit of £300 rest due 1st May 2021
Fabulous news
Old 13 Sep 20, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Olympiad
slightly serious Dibber

We've just rebooked our trip to Japan for next August having been obviously cancelled this year.

At the moment BA flight prices look really good (our 4 flights and 3 nights hotel was £1500 cheaper than this years price).

As mentioned earlier in the thread it's worth looking at booking the flights with one or more hotel nights -not only does this mean you only pay a deposit it also qualifies as a package holiday so you get ABTA protection.

Also booking before the end of September means it's also covered by BAs covid promise -can cancel or change anything up end Aug 21.

Not totally convinced we'll be able to take this trip but reckon that if there is a time that Japan will want to reopen the country it will be in time for the summer Olympics.
Olympiad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 06:46 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by happytraveller View Post
Thanks for this
AntonyJ is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List