Notices
UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 25 Oct 20, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile Dorset

So, next summer in the vain attempt to hopefully get on a holiday we have booked I booked us a week in St Ives. I then booked 3 nights in Brixham beforehand in a gorgeous apartment overlooking the harbour and now I'm thinking "in for a penny, in for a South Coast pound" and am considering a few nights in Dorset before that as, living in Yorkshire, the south coast is not somewhere we have been before. My question is, where should I choose and why?

There will be me, DH, DD and DS (14 and 13). We would prefer an apartment/cottage to a hotel and can't do a caravan as we aren't doing the traditional mon-fri break there.
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 20, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridafan
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 53
We love Dorset and our last trip was a year ago. We’ve been visiting for over 40 years and it still has a charm. We keep veering back towards the West Bay and Bridport area. The coastal scenery is lovely and one of my favourite views ever is on the road out of Bridport towards Abbotsbury - there’s a spectacular view of Chesil Beach. That area is very popular as tv and film locations as it’s so unspoilt. We watched an episode of Harbour Lights being filmed in West Bay one time but more recently you would recognise the backdrop in Broadchurch. We also like Dorchester, Weymouth and Lyme Regis. When the children were little we stayed in a caravan park in West Bay and I’m quite sure we didn’t stay over an entire week or a traditional weekend. Hope you find something - the Jurassic coast is definitely worth a look.
Floridafan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 20, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
All the Dorset coast is lovely, we stayed in Bridport a few weeks back, also Swanage is lovely, Weymouth lovely beach, Portland is also somewhere we stayed not so long ago. We also went to Durdle door, thats nice. I could easy spend a few weeks in Dorset.
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 20, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks both. The more I look the more I really want to stay there. I'm gutted as the flat in West Bay I dithered over due to the cost has now gone for our dates. Snooze you lose and all that!
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 20, 10:31 PM  
Link to this Post
AlexE
Imagineer

AlexE's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2
We loved Brixham we returned on Saturday. A short stroll down to the harbour and the fish and chips in Simply Fish were amazing. Lots of lovely individual shops too.

There is also Paignton Zoo a short drive away loved that too. Also Looe, Mevagissey and Fowey are good for a stroll - the harbours are wonderful.
Old 26 Oct 20, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

We are going Friday to Monday to Dorset at a place near Bridport. It's a cottage with a hot tub. Will report back Monday night.
Trusty ian is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 20, 01:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Helen J
Imagineer

Bournemouth and Sandbanks, probably some of the best beaches in the country. Lots to do in that area for teenagers as well.
Old 27 Oct 20, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr&Mrs4kids
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
I live in Dorset, between Bournemouth & Pool, a 10 minute drive gets us to the beautiful beaches of Sandbanks in one direction, and Bournemouth/Branksome/Alum Chine in the other, a little further afield will get you to the New Forest or the likes of historical sites such as Durdle Door, Tyneham Village, Warbarrow Bay etc. All lovely sites.
Have you looked on Hoseasons website for lodges? hoseasons/lodges/s...england/dorset
1998 Oct/Nov I-Drive & cruise (solo)- Oct 2010 Legacy Park villa(us 6)-May 2013 Windsor Hills villa(Disney 9)-May 2015 Windsor Hills Villa(Disney 9)-Oct 2016 Art Of Animation & AK Lodge(just the 2 of us)- May 2018 - Windsor Hills(Disney 9) Oct 2020- Formosa Gds Villa (Disney 8)
Mr&Mrs4kids is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 20, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr&Mrs4kids View Post
I live in Dorset, between Bournemouth & Pool, a 10 minute drive gets us to the beautiful beaches of Sandbanks in one direction, and Bournemouth/Branksome/Alum Chine in the other, a little further afield will get you to the New Forest or the likes of historical sites such as Durdle Door, Tyneham Village, Warbarrow Bay etc. All lovely sites.
Have you looked on Hoseasons website for lodges? hoseasons/lodges/s...england/dorset
Thank you.

Unfortunately Hoseasons seem to be set on Sat/Mon/Fri change over days.

I have seen a caravan on Airbnb at Littlesea which looks good for our dates and it seems a central location for exploring.
Old 28 Oct 20, 01:57 AM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

Mobile

We did a South Coast road trip in Sept. We stayed in airbnbs in Paignton and Weymouth. Paignton was a good base we walked to Torquay and babbacombe one day and Brixham another.
Did a mini road trip stopping at villages between Paignton and Weymouth. And Weymouth and durdle door.
Loved Weymouth visited portland from there. Durdle door we ayes at the campsite in a pod but you need your own bedding. This was lovely. We only did 1 night so not such to wires /weekends.
Then went to Poole via Tyneham Village. Also visited Bournemouth for a day. Then home via Stone henge.

Loves it little road trip in Devon and Dorset!
tiggertastic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List