Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 8 Nov 20, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

I’ve bought more Christmas cards than usual this year and plan to try and put a note/ few words to those who live away and aren’t local
Talland 2016 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
We only buy for our kids and granddaughter ( but she’s treated the same as our kids as she lives here ), my mum , sister and my sons girlfriend and his best friend who’s like family .
Oh and each other .

70% of our Christmas shopping is done , it was obvious lockdown was coming so we started shopping early .

My two will be spoilt as usual even though they are adults and so will the granddaughter.

It’s been a rubbish year , We’ve not travelled , we’ve not been motor racing twice a month so we’ve splashed out on Christmas.

I’ve never been one to be tat that won’t be used though .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 11:49 AM  
Link to this Post
kateh134
Imagineer

We’ve never been ones to spend lots on Christmas and my family set a limit of £10 per person several years ago. We like the challenge of getting something meaningful within the budget, although we all spend more on my teenage niece.
Old 8 Nov 20, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

I do love xmas and the giving/receiving of gifts can be an important part of it for some people but I think its important to make sure your are doing so within your means and not putting pressure on others to do so in return.
Yes the here's your lynx set so I get a lynx set in return is a little pointless but its not just about the gift itself

we agreed to cut back on gifts years ago as had we had a big extended family and some family members who were a lot better off than others always went oot which then made others feel they needed to spend more than they could really afford or guilty that they couldn't so we all agreed if wanted to buy gifts we would only buy for under 16's or give a single family gift (something like a hamper/board game for everyone to share)
It worked for us as those that could/wanted to buy were still able to and those that were finding it harder could cut right back

Now we just buy for our parents/kids & grandkids

mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bartswife View Post

I would never preach to anyone about their beliefs but i find it such a shame people don’t feel any religious significance to anything as it’s a wonderful feeling,I feel such a sense of peace and calm when I go to church more so than when I try to pray at home as it’s never calm and quiet. My church are doing online services but it’s not the same but at least I can sing at home merry Christmas MH xx
Merry Christmas to you too.

I have zero belief in supernatural beings, but I have enjoyed going into churches to appreciate the wonderful architecture and the calm vib, and I love watching the Christmas carols from churches/cathedral.

I will be bringing some food to my local church for their foodbank and frankly I don't even know what type of church it is (and I don't care) but they don't cause any harm to others but try to help people less fortunate and in need, so I am happy for anyone who gets comfort from any 'peaceful' religion.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
°o°-Hannah-°o°
Imagineer

°o°-Hannah-°o°'s Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Mobile

Our buying list is pretty small and has been for the past few years. Since my sister and dh’s brother had kids, we only buy for them and not the adults. We buy for our parents, a couple of special friends and our little family.

Since Sept I’ve been on a part time contract earning just 40% of my normal wage and dh runs a pub which is now in its 2nd lockdown but was running at around £800 -£1k less per week since tier 2 hit. Our own boys will be getting a lot less this year too 😢.

My parents normally buy for all of Mum’s family but as her sister now has 6 grandkids and more on the way, she’s told them that she’d rather focus on our family as times have hit us very hard.

But we can still be grateful, we have a holiday booked - flights and hotel paid for and, if allowed, we will travel with minimal spends and no park tickets quite happily. It’s been a very hard year and we need some magic to look forward to
Old 8 Nov 20, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

We stopped this a few years ago and now keep it to ourselves, our dogs (who get so many more than us) and a few friends and one relative.

I would still continue if there were little ones but stopped buying presents for everyone we know.

I still love sending and receiving cards, though some of my friends have stopped this too. x
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I buy for about 12 people in all. I have done all of it and the food. I've done it all online over a few weeks to spread the cost. Myself and dh don't really buy for eachother as we are usually away on hols and thats our pressie. I have let everyone know that we will celebrate christmas at home but come boxing day we are going away, whether its to fly somewhere warm 🙏 or go off in the campervan. We have had a s@@t year as everyone else have but with ongoing health issues as well, so we will have a few pressies and some nice food and look forward to next year being better than this one!
I give plenty to charity all year round and always buy the charity christmas cards as every little helps. 😊
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

We give our 4 children and their spouses money but we do buy presents for our 4 grandchildren.
No nephews and nieces on my side
DH has a sister and 2 brothers but we haven’t bought for them or their children for years.
It just makes life much easier.
Old 8 Nov 20, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Princesses 3
Very Serious Dibber

I love Christmas and like others I feel I want to make it even more special this year after such a rubbish time of late.
In my family we do a secret Santa (nieces, nephews, cousins etc) so 1 present. The in laws always thought this a good idea and were going to do it anyway this year so lots less to buy for anyway (reduced my list by 17 people! ). Would have happily shopped for them though 😊
Princesses 3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List