Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Nov 20, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Vicki7
VIP Dibber

I am currently pondering this question. I don't drive so am reliant on public transport and going to the airport the night before.

I live in Staffordshire so Manchester would be my first choice but doing research the prices for flights are crazy and I've only really got Virgin on offer.

I can get a train to Euston easily enough so which would be easier after that? To add to the fun I'm visually impaired so any experience of either airport's special assistance would be greatly received!
Vicki7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 20, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
kitjos
slightly serious Dibber

Heathrow for us . We prefer the road layout, signage, and it is closer to us than Gatwick. We did fly from Gatwick in Feb, and although i wouldn't knock the airport per say, the drive there from Peterborough area wasn't nice. Route planner suggested 2h30 and it took us 4h, M25 being the main holdup. Also, after our flight had landed to the UK, the drive home was the worst for us, we were so tired (didn't sleep on the flight home), and we both struggled to say fully alert. Not safe for anyone. We would now plan to stay at a travelodge/premier inn on day of return so we get some good kip before the 2-4h drive back. Adds another day onto the holiday, and im sure we all want to get home at the end of the day, but you must take into account just how tired/zapped you get after a long-haul flight with no sleep xx
kitjos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 20, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
the_weird_one
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Heathrow for me and if I can't fly from there than Manchester.

Gatwick is an absolute nightmare to get to if you're arriving from Birmingham; I regularly do Heathrow in about 2 hours, the one and only trip to Gatwick took me 5. I also find Heathrow less manic and stressful to navigate when walking around also their phone app is infinitely better.
the_weird_one is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 20, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Vsfan1
Earning More Ears

To be honest with you im not sure how close you live to Manchester airport but would advise you to perhaps book with BA from Manchester then through LHR as its a simple connection. The LHR is leaving in the afternoon giving you enough time to fly down from Manchester in the morning. Therefore you dont have to worry about trains/ getting through London/ Getting through unfamiliar airport. If you know Manchester well then you will be comfortable and book assistance who will be able to help you, plus BA use T3 at Manchester so its a much smaller friendlier terminal which can be less daunting.
Vsfan1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 20, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Vicki7
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Vsfan1 View Post
To be honest with you im not sure how close you live to Manchester airport but would advise you to perhaps book with BA from Manchester then through LHR as its a simple connection. The LHR is leaving in the afternoon giving you enough time to fly down from Manchester in the morning. Therefore you dont have to worry about trains/ getting through London/ Getting through unfamiliar airport. If you know Manchester well then you will be comfortable and book assistance who will be able to help you, plus BA use T3 at Manchester so its a much smaller friendlier terminal which can be less daunting.
Thank you for this - I'm about an hour away by taxi, about an hour and a half by trains with a change at Piccadilly. I REALLY don't want to trek to London on the train, because whatever journey I do on the way out, I've got to do on the way home with jetlag - I did the National Express from Heathrow after my last long haul. Never. Again. 5 hours on coaches was bad enough, never mind juggling luggage, a cane and a tired me on trains!

Currently Virgin are cheaper for dummy bookings in premium economy, but my exact dates aren't available yet, and I'd quite like to pay a deposit only. So looking like it'll be BA with a little connection. I've done connecting flights before with assistance so that doesn't phase me.
Vicki7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 20, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Vicki7 View Post
I am currently pondering this question. I don't drive so am reliant on public transport and going to the airport the night before.

I live in Staffordshire so Manchester would be my first choice but doing research the prices for flights are crazy and I've only really got Virgin on offer.

I can get a train to Euston easily enough so which would be easier after that? To add to the fun I'm visually impaired so any experience of either airport's special assistance would be greatly received!

If I were going to Gatwick from Euston, I would take the northern line one stop, join the Victoria line and then at Victoria take the Gatwick express train. To get to Heathrow I would either take the northern line a few stops, change to the Piccadilly line and take that all the way to Heathrow. Alternately I would leave Euston station, walk to Euston Square then take the circle line to Paddington for the Heathrow Express.

To be honest, I wouldn’t fancy either journey with luggage and I am very familiar with the London Underground and trains. I think you would be much better off taking a connecting flight from Manchester as somebody has suggested.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 20, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post
DonkeyCentreArf
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
If I were going to Gatwick from Euston, I would take the northern line one stop, join the Victoria line and then at Victoria take the Gatwick express train.
Victoria line stops at Euston so only one line and only about 10 minutes. However, as the OP is visually impaired, if the tube is not a preferred option than another option may be changing at Watford Junction and then getting a Southern train from there direct to Gatwick (assuming the get added back into the normal timetable).
1990 - Quality Inn International - iDrive / 1996 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 1997 - Dixie Landings / 1999 - All Star Sports / 2002 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 2003 - DLP / 2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 2008 - Doubletree Universal / 2009 - Saratoga Springs / 2011 - Bonnet Creek Resort & Vero Beach / 2014 - Bonnet Creek Resort / Oct 2021 - Rescheduled / Feb 2022 - Rescheduled / Oct 2022 HRH & OKW
DonkeyCentreArf is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Nov 20, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneyfreaks
Imagineer

Mobile

Heathrow is far better for us, but would still happily go from gatwick if we really had too... we turned our back on gatwick years ago opting to fly heathrow to Miami !
Disneyfreaks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 20, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Triciamcl
VIP Dibber

Triciamcl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Gatwick for me it’s always less stressful and has a more relaxed vibe which is what we want at the start of our trip

2010 DOUBLETREE RESORT
2011 DOUBLETREE RESORT
2012 DOUBLETREE RESORT
2015 POFQ, RPR and DOUBLETREE RESORT
2017 POFQ

2022 POFQ & Cabana Bay
Triciamcl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Nov 20, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

Always Heathrow

Much closer (30 mins), nicer terminal at T5 and more relaxed.

I do everything I possibly can to fly from Heathrow as I hate the journey home from Gatwick (1.5hrs).
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List