Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 11 Nov 20, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

Egg use by dates are crazy - I use them a long time after and I use the float test to check they are ok.
The rest,I look at more closely, but will usually use past the use by.
Best before is just ignored.
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 20, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Reading this maybe I'm not as fussy as I thought...just meats, fish and milk!

Fruit and veg - if its pre-prepared it goes in the bin, if it's a full piece of fruit/veg then it's fine for weeks after.

Alcohol - any time any place any where.

Bread/cake/cheese - no mould or stale then eat it.

Eggs - isn't there a float test?

So just meat or fish that we stick too 🙄
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 20, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

If it is it's eat by date and it won't get eaten it goes in the freezer. Always freeze milk, bread and yoghourts and just take out what is needed. DS buys me lots of "yellow sticker" foods as he works right by Lidls, that gets bunged in the freezer too.
Veg and fruit is stored in the fridge and rinsed in salt water if it is looking a bit sad, have never had food poisoning yet!
Old 11 Nov 20, 10:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Fluffypenguin
Imagineer

Originally Posted by maidmarian View Post
I detest waste, some people just throw everything out, I'd rather give it away than do that
My mum (was manager at the time) and the other staff were mortified, they just looked at her and said, “but Linda, the food was frozen before it went out of date, so it’s okay to eat” and apparently she just said, “oh”. I think it was a genuine mistake on this woman’s part, but they couldn’t take it out of the bin because it had defrosted. It was a rather large waste of money.
Fluffypenguin is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Nov 20, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

My mom who grew up in the era before fridges were in common use and everyone had a cold store is the absolute worst, we have many to doo’s about things she wants to throw out, to the stage I had to say to her it’s fine if you won’t eat it but you can’t impose your views on everyone else in the house!
The rest of us won’t throw anything away, last week tesco sent yoghurts that were already past their best before date, they’ve all been eaten, we’ve got co-proxamol that’s 15 years past it’s date, hubby still takes them occasionally but reckons they’re not as effective anymore x
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 20, 12:42 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I would not take medicine that is past its expired by date ever.

Nor chicken or prawns /shellfish or other raw meat and even then give it a good sniff on the day of and day before...

Best by is just a guide here.

Except potatoes that have sprouted a lot. A bud ok, but actual sprouting no.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 20, 02:32 AM  
Link to this Post
TGT
Imagineer

I mostly ignore dates - I'll sniff and look. I read if it's slimy that's bacteria and should be thrown but if it's just furry it's fine (but I would cut the fur off!)

However, I have to admit I did throw out a bottle of mustard a couple of weeks ago - best before 2010. I figured at 10 years beyond the date I wouldn't take the chance! It did look a little brown/oxidised rather than hideously bright yellow (hot dog style mustard that I took home after a friend's daughter's primary school fair. She did her GCSEs this year)

Di Gorton
http://www.villasoutherndunes.com

Villa Southern Dunes

Modern Disney-themed villa in the Southern Dunes golf community * Private heated west-facing pool * Sleeps 10* Room for all with sofa, dining & poolside seating for 10 * 2 ensuite doubles (king & queen) * 2 Disney-themed twins * 2 Lounges * 7 Flatscreen TVs * Great games room & amazing dressing up rail

Click >here< to see our Dibb Advert
Email: info@villasoutherndunes.com Florida State License: DWE6312923

Edited at 02:33 AM.
TGT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 20, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Pookie3101
Imagineer

Pookie3101's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile

It depends what it is. Fish pork and chicken a no no. Everything else depends on it’s condition and smell when I want to use it. The milk I am using at the moment has a date of 3 November on it and it’s still perfectly fine. I use dates as a guide.

DLP NBC - 2008, DLP SL- 2009, DLP SL, 2010.
AKL - 2014, POR - 2016
Pookie3101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 20, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

I am a bit fussy about dates, but have to say most annoying are M&S foods, basically everything you buy has to be eaten that day or the next it seems!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 20, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

i eat expired food constantly and have only ever had food poisoning once... and that was from a bad whelk on brighton beach, not from some 3 day out of date sausage

most of the contents of my freezer is reduced priced meat and fish
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List