Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Nov 20, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by stanleycamel View Post
Thank you Mr Morrow - when appropriate of course I will. A glance at social media shows how much John meant to the travel industry.

Yesterday a fantastic photographer and great supporter of SAFC Dean Matthews passed away due to Covid and now their former Vice Chairman John - sad times.
I saw the post about Dean Matthews as well. Such a fantastic photographer. So sad. He was only young too. Was just looking at his 2021 calendar on FB the other day. May he RIP.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 20, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Princesses 3 View Post
SC. As a Sunderland supporter of 50+ years I couldn’t agree more about supporting your home team and for that matter your home City and then region. I think John showed us how to do that with good grace - then went one better and spread it to supporting the whole country. Some of the comments I’ve read since he died have been truly wonderful and I’m sure will eventually bring comfort and even more pride to his family
Princesses 3 - that phrase "with good grace" made me cry.

John was a thoroughly decent man with a great business brain but never forgot his roots. Even if he did have a dodgy choice in football clubs
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 20, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Originally Posted by JoS View Post
I saw the post about Dean Matthews as well. Such a fantastic photographer. So sad. He was only young too. Was just looking at his 2021 calendar on FB the other day. May he RIP.
Thank you JoS - I really didn't know what emoji to click on Dibb as there isn't a hug/cuddle as far as I can tell. Dean's photos were fantastic - especially of the Aurora on a Mothers Day.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 20, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
formosagirl
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Terribly sad news
Old 14 Nov 20, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

How sad, he did so much for the travel industry and obviously took good care of his employees. He will be missed for sure
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 20, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyCupcake
Imagineer

SAFC held a minutes silence before the game at the Stadium of Light for Dean Matthews and John Hays - both well known at the club.

Very sad news for both families.
DisneyCupcake is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 20, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Lovely tribute tonight around Sunderland where some local landmarks were lit up in blue and orange, Hays Travels colours. The places involved were the Northern Spire, Penshaw Monument, Fulwell Mill, Seaburn Lighthouse, Hylton Castle, Beacon of Light and Keel Square outside the company's HQ, at Gilbridge House.

They will be lit again tomorrow to mark his funeral.
Old 28 Nov 20, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyCupcake
Imagineer

This week the funerals of John Hays and Dean Matthews took place in Sunderland a couple of days apart. The people of Sunderland and beyond did them both proud by coming on to the streets to observe and respect their last journeys.

After John's sad passing many in the travel industry wanted to send flowers or donate to charity - the fundraising page set up asked for no more than a £5 donation which would go to the Hays Travel Foundation. The Foundation works with organisations that support people, who for one reason or another, need a bit of help to achieve their potential - so far over £25000 has been raised. In these difficult times it reflects how well thought of John was by his fellow colleagues and associates.

I expected news coverage of John Hays but was amazed to see on last nights (Friday) ITV national news a small segment dedicated to Dean Matthews.

RIP John and Dean.
DisneyCupcake is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List