Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 14 Oct 18, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 25
The 1200 Mile West Coast Adventure - August/September 2018: Day 3: A Berry Thrilling Day

Day 3: A Berry Thrilling Day
Wednesday 22 August 2018

Checking out of Hilton Universal and checking in to Knotts Berry Farm Hotel, Knotts Berry Farm all day and Mrs Knotts Chicken Dinner

Index

We woke up at around 6am. The kids were being very cuddly and cute and none of us wanted to get up. We had planned to leave at 7:30am to do the 40 min drive and visit Target on the way.

We were running a bit behind from our late night last night so were behind schedule.

We started our day with donuts in our room for breakfast again

This morning’s selections included Memphis Mafia - fried dough with banana chunks and cinnamon covered in glaze, drizzled in chocolate and peanut butter with peanuts and chocolate chips on top.

We also had the Raspberry Romeo - Raised yeast shell glazed and filled with raspberry jelly, which was essentially a glazed raspberry filled krispy kreme and a

Marshall Mathers (get it?) - Plain cake doughnut with vanilla frosting and mini M&M’s

Bacon Maple Bar - Raised yeast doughnut with maple frosting and bacon on top.

The Homer - Raised ring dipped in strawberry flavored icing and a smattering of round sprinkles.

We didn’t want to take the box with us so we finished whatever donuts we had for breakfast… little piggies! We must have had the other 3 as dessert the night before! No photos of these!

Ready to go!

By the time we left it was 8:10am. We decided we should probably leave T-t-t-t-target (this is how we said it every time we mention it BTW… have you seen the vine?)

We checked out and paid for our parking and packed our bags into the car. The 45 minute journey ended up taking an hour and a half.

It didn’t help we got lost en route…

Yeah this definitely isn’t right…

Aha this road looks better

We pulled up at the Knotts Berry Farm Hotel in Buena Park just before 10am.

We were just going to leave our bags with Bell Services but it turned out our room was ready and they could check us in now. Ideal!

They gave us an envelope with our tickets, parking permit and breakfast vouchers. We had booked a package with one day tickets, breakfast and hotel stay for one night in a Camp Snoopy double queen room. This was in the Snoopy themed wing of the hotel and included a “Snoopy tuck in service” the girls had seen a youtube video on it and when we suggested it they thought it was awesome so we decided on that. It also came with two souvenir snoopy teddies in your room to keep. The whole package was around $362 including tax, which we thought was really good value.

The hotel was pretty basic and a little old fashioned, particularly after staying in the Hilton the nights before but it was the perfect location and the staff were friendly.

Annoyingly, we found out when getting our tickets that has hotel guests had early entry from 9am, which we had missed. It didn't say this anywhere when booking. Luckily it turned out KBF was a total ghost town and we needn’t have worried about it being busy!

We were given room 209, near the lifts.

After checking out our room and leaving our bags in the room and dollars in the safe, we made the short ten minute walk to the park.

The crowd calendar referred to today as a “Ghost town” and they were right. We literally didn’t wait for any ride.

Izzy was tall enough to go on anything and Imogen was tall enough for every ride apart from one, Silver Bullet

Inside the park and locked up already!

Our first ride was GhostRider - the longest, tallest, and fastest wooden roller coaster on the West Coast! 118 feet high and one of the longest and tallest wooden roller coasters in the world, it is 4,500 feet long with 14 hills.

The only thing I didn’t like about KBF is they didn’t have anywhere to put bags that felt safe on each ride (apart from paid for lockers in one location in the park) We had to leave them the other side of the track in boxes and collect them after the ride. I was worried leaving our phones etc but was glad we could lock our dollars in the safe before coming!

We expected this to just be a tame wooden rollercoaster but it was brilliant! Very exhilarating and fast and it lasted for ages. We all had sore throats by the end from all the screaming.

Next up was the Timber Mountain Log Ride. This ride opened 49 years ago and includes an 85 foot high by 330 foot long mountain range. It was upgraded and refurbished in 2013.

It was very similar to Splash but less “Disney” and the animatronics were more creepy… It was really fun and we got drenched.

Next was Xcelerator

Imogen had just reached the magical height indicator for this ride and it was the most full on ride she would have ever been on but she wasn't phased at all.

It goes 0-82 mph in 2.3 seconds as you fly 205 feet into the air before immediately hurtling 90 degrees straight down. It was freaking awesome! We all loved it but felt a little wobbly coming off...

Next we thought we would try something a little tamer, Coast Rider. It was definitely slower but it was so bumpy and swung you round really fast we all felt a bit sick coming off. Not keen on this one. It reminded me of primeval whirl.

Despite not feeling 100% we decided we would fit in one more ride before lunch. This time, their newest coaster, HangTime, the first and only dive coaster in California! It reminded us of Sheikra. The girls loved it.

For lunch we chose Panda Express...in the park! How cool is that?

We had 3 combo meals with 1 side and 2 dishes. Amongst our combos was Egg fried rice, Orange chicken, Kung pow chicken, beef and broccoli and chicken and mushroom. We also had 3 regular drinks, a cup of water and 2 fortune cookies.

It was as delicious as always and made us feel a lot better and ready for some more rides.

Next up was Calico mine train, a slow mine train ride with animatronics.

Once again there was some creepy looking characters.

Next up, Pony Express. We were really looking forward to this one as it's so unusual the way you ride on top rather than in a seat. Unfortunately when the ride started it jolts you so fast without warning and my neck went right back and I felt like I had whiplash! I spent the whole ride rubbing my now sore neck

Next up was Bigfoot Rapids, which is similar to Kali River Rapids.

Despite the warnings we didn't get very wet on this one at all!

We stopped for a drink then we walked to the front of the park to tackle Silver Bullet.

IG: _disneykate_
YouTube: DisneyKate

Edited at 11:54 PM.
bambikate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
This was the 54 inch ride that Imogen wasn't quite tall enough for so Izzy and I went on whilst Andy and Imogen waited.

This ride was definitely not for the faint-hearted. It included a 105 Feet Tall Loop, a Cobra Roll, a Zero-G Roll, 2 Corkscrews, a Helix and 6 inversions.

Izzy absolutely loved it and the zero wait time to get on meant Imogen and Andy weren't waiting too long.

Next we went to the Camp Snoopy area of the park and the kids went on the Linus Launcher. It was so funny to watch, they lie on their stomachs and fly around. They loved it!

There were tons of little rides here, definitely enough to do for a whole day even with little thrill seekers.

Back to the big rides and up next - Montezoomas Revenge. This 33 second ride goes 0 to 55 in just 3 seconds, traveling through a giant, seven-story loop once forward, then again backwards. It was really fun.

Then Jaguar!

We had a little explore through Fiesta Village

There was one more big ride we hadn't done yet - Supreme Scream! It's like Doctor Doom's Fear Fall but taller and faster! Andy didn't want to go on so it was just me and the girls and it was Imogen's first time riding anything like this as she had just missed out on being tall enough for Dr Doom last year.

Supreme Scream takes you up a record-breaking 252 feet before power-blasting you straight down in three seconds flat – at gravity-defying speeds topping 50 mph and after experiencing three seconds of total weightlessness.

It went so high, the views were incredible!

We were in need of some refreshments so we picked up two pots of Dippin' Dots. Cookies and cream and half choc half vanilla. They were pretty pricey at $6.99 each plus tax each but were much needed as it was a scorcher.

We decided to go back on the Timber Mountain Log Ride again as it was so fun and we needed to cool off!

The girls and I went on Hangtime again but waited for front row, which was a 5-10 min wait.

We had a look at the famous bottle house - Made from over 3,000 whisky bottles, it is used as “Indian Trader” store. The house was actually a remake of the Rhyolite Bottle House in Nevada. Completed in 1945, the Bottle House was the first permanent structure at Knott’s Berry Farm, offering souvenirs for sale and serving as the unofficial information centre of its Ghost Town.

By now we realised we had done literally every ride in the park we wanted to, some more than once and although there was lots more we could have done we weren't really bothered about those rides and just felt really lucky we had done all the massive rides without any queuing!

We decided to call it a day and walk back to the hotel.

Back at the hotel!

Now was the perfect time to finally visit T-t-t-t-target. It was a 6 minute drive to the closest one.

I saw these shorts and loved them but for some reason didn't buy them and regretted it! Luckily I bought them later in the holiday.

Ooh different Halo Top flavours!

I know they have this one in the UK now!

We bought a 24 pack of water, some wine, some beer, a bottle opener, some crisps, some Old Bay seasoning to take home, some slime for the girls, some kinetic sand, some clear Elmer’s glue for slime making (a gallon was an absolute bargain at $20 compared to the tiny bottles you can get on Amazon in the UK for boy £4 a pop.)

We drove back to the Hotel

Here's our beauty

We had dinner booked at Mrs Knott’s Chicken Dinner Restaurant at 6pm so we had enough time to freshen up and walk back over to the park entrance where it was located.

We were really excited to be eating here as we had heard great things about this very famous restaurant.

Izzy had chicken legs with mashed potatoes and corn and Imogen had macaroni cheese.

Randomly these both came with Jello to start….

We decided to have the Mrs Knotts Traditional Chicken Dinners for $21.99 each which came with a choice of Chicken noodle soup or 'cherry rhubarb'?! and salad with a choice of dressing (we chose ranch)

a ridiculous amount of 20(!) biscuits (for 2 of us) with butter≈and boysenberry* jam, a main of chicken dinner - 3 pieces of thighs and drumsticks and a wing with mash and country gravy and a choice of corn or cabbage.

*Boysenberries are considered to be a cross section between a blackberry, raspberry, and a loganberry and Walter Knott was the first to commercially cultivate the berry in Southern California, hence the strong boysenberry theming to this menu. They even have an annual Boysenberry Festival!

The soup and the salad were both lovely but I didn’t finish either as I wanted to make room for the rest of the food. The biscuits and jam were also really nice but even sharing with the girls it was too much.

I also ordered a boysenberry mojito and Andy order Goose IPA. Unfortunately my drink order must have got missed as even after chasing twice it took 30 minutes to get my drink, by which time I was on my main course. I think they must have chucked in a few extra shots of rum to apologise as when I got it it was so strong!

When our mains came out I noticed I had been given cabbage instead of the corn I asked for. I said “Oh, mine was with corn?” and she said “You want corn too? No problem.” and left the cabbage on my plate to go and fetch corn.

Umm no I don’t want it too, you got my order wrong… Ugh. She arrived back a few minutes later with corn in a side bowl. All I could smell was the cabbage I didn't order wafting up from my plate and contaminating the mashed potatoes it was touching.

When the corn arrived it tasted bland and like reheated frozen corn rather than the fresh off the cobb corn I was expecting. The chicken was also really dry and disappointing. Thumbs down for Mrs Knotts

The girls had lemonade in souvenir snoopy cups, which was cute.

Our meals also came with dessert. Andy had apple pie and I had boysenberry pie. Now how do you think this would be served? Fresh? Warm? A la mode? Nope! Cold. On its own. The girls had a gigantic scoop of ice cream each, which Andy and I used to eat with our pies. We both said they would have been really nice warm with ice cream. Never mind.

All in all this restaurant was a disappointment and too much food, we kind of wished we went to TGI Fridays across the road.

We were offered a doggy bag but politely declined. It came to $95 plus tip.

Edited at 05:18 PM.
bambikate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
We took a walk back to our room and got the girls ready for their Snoopy tuck in. He was due to arrive between 8pm and 8:30pm as he made his way around all the camp snoopy rooms. The girls were in their PJs and were really excited. At around 8:25pm we heard a knock at the door. It was Snoopy with his human chaperone. The girls answered the door with Daddy and the lady chaperone asked if Snoopy could come in to say goodnight.

The girls climbed into bed and he posed for some pictures and tucked them in. It was pretty cute, some may say creepy but I thought it was done pretty well and it was a fun novelty to do just once.

After snoopy left, the girls stayed up to watch TV and I repacked and got tomorrow’s outfits out. We had a long drive ahead of us so there was no way we could be running behind like we had done the previous night.

The Knotts Berry Farm Hotel had a brilliant pool, hot tub and water play area so it seemed a shame not to use it. The girls got changed into their swimming costumes and we made our way down. They were really worried Snoopy might spot them sneaking out to the pool after they were supposed to be asleep so we snuck out quietly and made it to the pool.

The pool again had no lifeguard but we were comfortable supervising them and it was well lit and secure. Only those with hotel keys could get in.

It was very busy and they spent a good hour or so playing. It was a really nice end to the day chilling on the loungers.

We dried off and went back to our room, stuck on a storm program and cracked open a beer while the girls slept.

Tomorrow: San Francisco!

Old 14 Oct 18, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie Mum
Imagineer

Mobile

You have such busy and fun packed days! Shame about dinner
Snoopy looked cute and funny that the girl felt they had to sneek out to the pool. 🤫

Loving reading along
Minnie Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
i love jack
Apprentice Imagineer

Gosh the girls are so brave going on those rides! Well done them (I have wimpy kids )
Looks a fun time by the pool
Old 14 Oct 18, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Mobile

I’ve never fancied KBF for some reason but you may have changed my mind! What a fab day and some brilliant coasters.

I’ve just showed my hubby the photos of the Snoopy tuck in. He thinks it’s amazing (big snoopy fan). Bless the girls sneaking out after.

Shame about your chicken meal. It sounded so great until the cold corn and then the pie!

I forgot to say on my previous post from day 2 that you & Andy look amazing. Well done you guys for such dedication - it really paid off.

And totally loving how quickly you are posting these. I’m hoping by the time I’ve typed this you’ll have another new day loaded xx
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Seeing KBF brings back lots of memories! Great day!
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Beaker89
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

I've never heard of KBF, but it looks great. Your girls are definitely dare devils! Its a shame about the disappointing meal, I'm sure you'll make up for it later in the holiday.
Beaker89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 18, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Zomax25
VIP Dibber

Mobile

What a fab day! I love the idea of Snoopy tucking the kids in. Thanks for sharing
Zomax25 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Oct 18, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

Another fantastic day. I was always under the impression that KBF was geared towards younger kids - clearly, I was wrong! Thanks for sharing such detailed pics - I definitely want to add that to my list.
The Snoopy rooms are cute. I like the cuddlies.
Animagus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List