Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 16 Jan 19, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzymcfarlane
Apprentice Imagineer

Londoners - transport advice

We are flying to Canada from Heathrow in August and intend coming down day before and staying overnight at airport. We have the option to fly to either London City or London Heathrow and as husband has always wanted to go to imperial war museum so I thought we could do it catching the first flight, leaving luggage at which ever airport but which airport has the better links for getting to the museum ? As our flight the following day isn’t till 5pm, transferring to Heathrow isn’t an issue as we can do the express. Thanks in advance.
dizzymcfarlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Nearest Tube is Elephant and Castle.

London City would be about 45 minutes going Northern line to Bank and DLR straight into the airport.

Heathrow would be an hour or so via Bakerloo to Piccadilly and then Piccadilly to the airport.

London City is a much smaller airport and quicker to get through and has more alternative routes from the Imperial War Museum.

Where are you then flying out of?

I would stay at a hotel near the Imperial War museum if London City and leave the luggage there, collecting it when you finish.

If flying in and out of Heathrow, then probably stay there, although it does mean 2 journeys that day.

As either airport is accessible from there within 30 minutes of each other I'd take price / convenience as the deciding factor. Gatwick is also an hour by train.

Edited at 05:26 PM.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Much of a muchness travel wise to IWM from either airport. I would recommend City hands down for an outbound flight but since it's your arrival, I would choose Heathrow so you don't have to lug your bags across London. Just take them straight to your airport hotel and then back to the airport (or use the left luggage service if you don't want to leave the airport) to travel into the city for the day.

Heathrow Express is overpriced btw, much cheaper to jump on the tube. Although if you're prepared to pay for it, it works quite well for IWM as you can transfer straight to the Bakerloo line at Paddington.

Edited at 06:00 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzymcfarlane
Apprentice Imagineer

Decisions, decisions ! We are flying from Edinburgh so first flight gets us into London (either airport ) for 830ish. It’s not till August so have time to decide. I’m just as happy to get an afternoon flight n chill at the hotel (premier inn, bath road) but hubby keen to do something !
dizzymcfarlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 19, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzymcfarlane
Apprentice Imagineer

Sorry... thank you both for replies
Old 19 Jan 19, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
justacey
Apprentice Imagineer

We went to London for the weekend last December. We stayed in Hilton Garden Inn at Heathrow and caught the tube into the city. We went to the Imperial War Museum and it was just one change. It is a good half hour out of the centre but it saved us the hassle of getting into there and we saved money on a cheaper hotel.
justacey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 19, 12:00 AM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by dizzymcfarlane View Post
Decisions, decisions ! We are flying from Edinburgh so first flight gets us into London (either airport ) for 830ish. It’s not till August so have time to decide. I’m just as happy to get an afternoon flight n chill at the hotel (premier inn, bath road) but hubby keen to do something !
Although we love this hotel (stayed 5/6 times) I wouldn't really say it was somewhere I would want to spend a whole afternoon "chilling" 😉😉

It's not near the tube so you'd have to do the shuttle bus to/from the airport to leave your luggage and then back to the tube to get into town. It's an easy enough tube ride though.

Xx
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 19, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzymcfarlane
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Katie68 - trust me - if I can afford the Sofitel nearer the time be changing my booking 😀😀.
Old 20 Jan 19, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by dizzymcfarlane View Post
Katie68 - trust me - if I can afford the Sofitel nearer the time be changing my booking 😀😀.
Enjoy - its actaully a really lovely hotel, but it more suited to overnights than lovely stays!

I think at £40 for our booking there will be no chance that DH will stump up for the Sofitel
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 19, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzymcfarlane
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

As I’m nightshift and start my leave at 7am - I’ll be happy with an afternoon flight rather than trailing into London. It’s just a bed before my business class flights the following day ... we shall see
Thanks everyone who’s contributed