Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Jan 19, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JessBlu View Post
I am shocked by the tone of this thread.

My grandfather is 92 still lives unaided with my grandmother, baby sits the great grand kids, drives, goes on holiday to Spain twice year.
I am sure there are as many stories about accidents and road deaths with any age driver, I do his insurance each year and it’s the same cost as mine £360 ish (age 37 15+ plus no claims) so clearly that age range 90+ is not considered a high risk or it would be through the roof.

I say people should drive for as long as they are fit to do, whatever age that should be.
And forgot to add he has just got an IPad and FaceTimes everyone!
Why shouldn’t he drive, he’s never had an accident in his life and clearly is a good driver.

However he has driven since he was very young and I remeber his taking his test in my lifetime!

Apparently they didn’t have a driving tests in the 1940s 🤔.

Edited at 11:04 PM.
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 19, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
TTA
Apprentice Imagineer

Beware Greeks turning right 😀

In any event it’s his wife’s highway so he can do what he wants.

Edited at 11:07 PM.
TTA is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 01:44 AM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by captain-codeye View Post
Sorry but I have missed anything?

I didn’t see anywhere on the news that it was his fault?

My sincere condolences to the posters who have lost loved ones, but to blanket ban older drivers is wrong, there are just as many if not more dangerous drivers in any age bracket.

Anyway I bet he’s at the dealership by 9am with is cheque book!
According to bbc he has pulled out from a driveway onto a public road.

From Police Scotland
Elderly Drivers

Road Safety Character - Elderly DriverAs people get older their general health and abilities often deteriorate. This may be a gradual process and people might not realise it’s happening to them, so won’t necessarily notice if their driving is affected. They may have driven their entire life and take great pride in their safety record however as people age, it is critical that we realise driving ability can change.

To continue driving safely, there is a need to recognise that changes can happen, get help when they do, and be willing to listen if others voice concerns.

Older drivers have far fewer crashes than younger drivers because they tend to take fewer risks, such a speeding. However, an older person’s risk of being killed or suffering a serious injury as a result of a collisions, whether in a car or as a pedestrian or cyclist, is between 2 and 5 times greater than that of a younger person because of their increased physical frailty.

For most people as they age, general health and fitness, eyesight, hearing, reaction-time and physical mobility will begin to deteriorate. Older drivers may unknowingly experience physical and psychological health problems, which will vary widely from person to person. Tests have shown that, on average, drivers aged over 55yrs take 22% longer to react than drivers under 30yrs. This would add 2 car lengths to the stopping distance if braking from 70mph.

Do you have a better solution? Should everyone be allowed to drive untiil they are incapacitated or worse? I’d have no issue if I had to sit some kind of physical and knowledge test every 2 or 3 years.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Here in Spain driving licence renewals are every five years once you reach 65. That renewal is not done by post but by appointment at the Centro de Reconocimiento de Conductores Autorizado. Where you have an eye test and evidence of a recent health check within regards to your capability of driving.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Today Norfolk council are meeting to discuss the speed limit on that road.
I would like to invite Prince Philip to come and drive down a few potholes in Essex. He could easily fit it into his journey back to London.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
Here in Spain driving licence renewals are every five years once you reach 65. That renewal is not done by post but by appointment at the Centro de Reconocimiento de Conductores Autorizado. Where you have an eye test and evidence of a recent health check within regards to your capability of driving.
this system should be used here

i also think some sort of eye test for drivers younger should be brought in say every 10 years ?

judging by the driving i see daily some people need it !
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

He was dazzled by the low sun, I totally sympathise with this but my mum was given points on her licence and a fine for hitting a dustcart in a similar situation, driving without due care I think.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Today Norfolk council are meeting to discuss the speed limit on that road.
I would like to invite Prince Philip to come and drive down a few potholes in Essex. He could easily fit it into his journey back to London.
MMmmmm

Now, I wonder if my Father aged 96 has had the self same accident, would the council be having an emergency meeting to reduce speed levels. I also wonder if the pundits would have taken the “ oh, he’s such a fit and determined man, he just doesn’t want to slow down “ take. Me thinks the headlines may be a little more harsh
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
this system should be used here

i also think some sort of eye test for drivers younger should be brought in say every 10 years ?

judging by the driving i see daily some people need it !
Once here two years we had to change our driving licences to Spanish ones we had

Mental health check
Eye test
Reaction test
Old 18 Jan 19, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
The Prince pulled out onto a main road in front of oncoming traffic which drove into the side of him. (t-boned).

I guess the question is was the other car going too fast?
I guess the question is was he driving without due care and consideration.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List