Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Jan 19, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

I remember when I was young my dad driving onto grass verges in the countryside trying to knock down a pheasant or two. Oh, a peasant, mmm, that’s different then.😂
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JessBlu View Post
And forgot to add he has just got an IPad and FaceTimes everyone!
Why shouldn’t he drive, he’s never had an accident in his life and clearly is a good driver.

However he has driven since he was very young and I remeber his taking his test in my lifetime!

Apparently they didn’t have a driving tests in the 1940s 🤔.
I hope he doesn't FaceTime whilst driving !
It's a fact that as the body ages things like judging distances and speeds become less reliable ... of course some people wear better than others. That's the point of a compentcy test to weed out those who haven't but can't admit it .
It's rare a report of a motorist driving down the wrong carriageway isn't a driver in their 80s or 90s if drink isn't involved.
I see nothing wrong with a compentcy test , my aunt drove all her life, when she bought her first car in Ireland the licence came with the car , no test and when testing started she was exempt as she already had a licence.
Frankly I loathe driving, it's a chore , if I live that long I want to be chauffeured everywhere !
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

Just because a elderly driver hasn’t had an accident doesn’t mean he’s a good, safe driver...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

The woman he hit has a broken arm doesn't she and the trauma of being in an accident with a baby on board. My sympathies tend to lie with her rather than an elderly man who pulled onto a main road and hit her and walked away unscathed.
They were all very fortunate it wasn't worse and we aren't waking up to headlines saying he killed a mother or baby.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by djewkes View Post
Just because a elderly driver hasn’t had an accident doesn’t mean he’s a good, safe driver...
Sorry don’t agree.

How many young people do the same as PP? Have an accident is that followed by all 35 year olds should be banned ? No.

As said before his insurance is the same as mine so the insurance company obviously does not think he’s a risk, unlike young drivers.
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Sorry don’t agree.

How many young people do the same as PP? Have an accident is that followed by all 35 year olds should be banned ? No.

As said before his insurance is the same as mine so the insurance company obviously does not think he’s a risk, unlike young drivers.
So everyone should take a competency test every ten years ? Sounds OK to me !

However as I stated previously , unless drink is involved (which removes them from driving under other legislation anyway ) I can't remember an instance of a driver driving down the wrong carriageway who wasn't in their eighties or nineties so clearly there is some correlation between aging and whether you drive competently or not !
There's also medical evidence to show reaction time is slower with ageing.
As a parent I'm not sure I'd allow my ninety year old grandmother to drive my young children around... perhaps that's the acid test !

Edited at 11:53 AM.
Old 18 Jan 19, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

Sorry don’t agree.

All I am saying is... the roads are more dangerous every year, it’s also a fact that the older you are the slower your reactions are... and just because you haven’t been involved in an accident doesn’t mean you can’t have inadvertently caused one! Yes I know that younger drivers are likely to be more reckless but slower reactions mean older drivers are more likely to pull out slowly when it’s not safe to do so (my dad used to do this)...
I’m coming up to 65 I’d be happy to do a competency test...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Most folks in their 90’s only drive about 2 miles a year at 2 mph so of course there’s less chance of them being involved in an accident as everyone else has time to manoeuvre out their way.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
dismadbrit
Imagineer

dismadbrit's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13
I have been saying for years that once people reach a certain age then a competency test should be introduced.
Old 18 Jan 19, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
So everyone should take a competency test every ten years ? Sounds OK to me !

However as I stated previously , unless drink is involved (which removes them from driving under other legislation anyway ) I can't remember an instance of a driver driving down the wrong carriageway who wasn't in their eighties or nineties so clearly there is some correlation between aging and whether you drive competently or not !
There's also medical evidence to show reaction time is slower with ageing.
As a parent I'm not sure I'd allow my ninety year old grandmother to drive my young children around... perhaps that's the acid test !
My grandfather looks after his 13 great grandkids (not all at once &#128514 and he drives them all to various clubs or takes them home. None of us 6 grandchildren have any concerns about his driving.

Edited at 12:53 PM.
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List