Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Closed Thread

Old 18 Jan 19, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Echo18
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
The charges Homeaway impose also cover insurance so the renter is 100% insured. The Dibb offers no protection at all for renters but it’s good for owners due to low charges
A lot of owners have an agent or a means of paying via credit card - I’m happy with the assurance that offers me. As a property owner that had a very poor experience with homeaway I’d never book through them. Going back to Boston in May to a house we originally booked through homeaway about 5 years ago. Booked direct this time saving me over $300 compared with booking through homeaway again.

Edited at 06:55 PM. Reason: Typos
Echo18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Northerndave
Being a bit Goofy

Originally Posted by josephus_fl View Post
It's so easy to say name and shame or that they should honor the booking, but the reality is that the villa owner is probably loosing £100's of if they keep this booking.

If it's a big firm then they have more opportunity to absorb this kind of loss, but for a family living the dream of owning a Florida rental; this kind of loss may be financially too large to suck up. Villa owners need to make their money during peak times or they simply may not be able to pay their mortgage etc.

The op still has ample time to find an alternative accommodation. It's just such a shame that people are too eager to pick up pitch forks and make people suffer for an honest mistake when there are far many more purposely deceitful crimes taking place that need championing.
We don't know why the Owner cancelled the booking.

If there has been an honest mistake with the dates, then it can happen. However being so unorganised as to not recognise the clash during or after booking the other party in, means who can trust this owner? How many more innocent parties will find out, too close to their travel dates to make alternative arrangements.

If however, as you suggested it was for financial reasons, then the Owner should have, at the very least, contacted the OP in the first instance, even to discuss options. If this was the case, I'd say he should have his Dibb membership investigated.

Whatever way you cut it, the pitch forks should be out for this owner. They made the mistake, and the original booker loses out.

OP, good thing is that you have a long lead time to secure anther rental. Start on here by searching by rates. Try Homeaway or Tripadvisor and go for well reviewed villlas

Edited at 06:59 PM.
Northerndave is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 06:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Northerndave
Being a bit Goofy

Originally Posted by col2501 View Post
Thank you so much for any help, I’m scouring villa sites myself, my dates are fixed to 8th August -29th August, Flights already booked but I’m not adverse to the odd night in a hotel to fit in a villa availability if necessary
If you're struggling with 3 full weeks, consider 2 weeks in one villa and a week in another. Think of it as a 2 centre holiday
Old 18 Jan 19, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
ELLENUT
Imagineer

Op. I have just checked the villa we are staying in this year ( we stayed here in 2015 too) it available from the 9th - 19th . It may be useful if you decide on a split stay, message me if you want any details. Good luck
1992: Days Inn Lakeside 1994:HOliday inn Maingate East 2006:Pop Century 2008:Saratoga Villas 2010:Regal oaks 2013:Indian Ridge Villa 2015:BA Club,Disney,POR,Villa, RPR,2016 United business, Sunset Ridge villa 2019: Virgin, 4 Corners Villa 2023: CSR & 4 Corners Villa again!
ELLENUT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
gforce_iom
Imagineer

gforce_iom's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
The villa we stay in regularly is available 12-29 August... message me if you want the details...

The owner is on the Dibb... but don’t let that put you off!
1991-96 4 Trips~1997x1~1999x1~2001x1~2004x1~2004/2005x3/2006x2/2007x3/2009x2/2010x2~2011 Westridge Villa~2012 Highlands Reserve Villax3~2013 Hampton Lakesx2~2014 Hampton Lakesx2~2015 Hampton Lakesx1~2017 Sunset Ridgex2~Rosen Shingle Creek~2018 Sunset Ridgex1~2018 Rosen Shingle Creek~2019 Sunset Ridgex1 Hampton Lakesx1 Calabay Parcx1 2020 Highlands Reservex1 2022 Calabay Parcx1 2024 Hunters Creekx1

Edited at 08:45 PM.
gforce_iom is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasarah
VIP Dibber

floridasarah's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
OP hope you find something this weekend, Keep us updated.

x
floridasarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
OP, I feel for you. I hope you get something sorted soon.

Interesting how some people (funnily enough, other villa owners) have come on here to defend the owner but if this was Virgin Holidays or Tui doing this to someone then, not only would they be named and shamed, but the condemnation would be universal.

I guess this is a reason to not book directly with owners as you have no comeback when things go wrong (as they obviously do). As we don't know who this owner is I guess the suspicion falls on every Dibb villa owner after all it could be any of them and, even if it isn't, judging by comments on here they see this as acceptable practice.

Just my tuppence worth.
Old 19 Jan 19, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Pinkie1983
Excited about Disney

Mobile

So sorry this has happened to you, its awful that the owner has cancelled your booking and not the second one! I used Clickstay for our villa last year and it was £1150 for 3 weeks. It wasn't in a gated community and was a little tired but we loved it. Its not available for your dates unfortunately. Good luck.
Pinkie1983 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
GrumpyDopey&Me
Imagineer

GrumpyDopey&Me's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by josephus_fl View Post
It does feel like he undervalued your booking and has rebooked your dates at a higher price.

He shouldn't have taken a booking so far in advance as its so tough predicting future price rises.

It's important to note that most villa owners make virtually no money so to hold an owner to your £1350 three week summer rental is also extremely unfair. Whilst it's disappointing you haven't gotten an amazing deal, I'm sure you wouldn't want the owner to face financial hardship when I'm sure the original booking was taken in good faith.

It's a learning lesson that there are too many unknowns when booking so far ahead. Plan yes, book no.
Sorry but your response is ridiculous. He gave that price and should honour it. Also you don’t know the villa’s overhead. It might be mortgage free, low tax etc so how do you know it would be to low. I used to book with friend who charge 400 all year round as it was what was needed to keep the place ticking over. (He has since sold it as he can no longer travel there due to old age)
GrumpyDopey&Me is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
GrumpyDopey&Me
Imagineer

GrumpyDopey&Me's Reviews
Originally Posted by minnie29 View Post
If it’s a genuine mistake then I’d be understanding as the second booker. But as I’ve said, it should have been the second booking cancelled, not the first! I would not want to book with an owner who does that. It worries me as we stay in a villa normally.

I really hope you find a villa and have a good holiday
Either the second booking is paying a lot more or he himself is going either way he wouldn’t cancel them as more suited to his needs

I think the villa owner should be named, come on this thread and explain his actions otherwise it could stop people booking on this site as the name is what gives security. I booked on here because it was a dibb villa and I believed they would be more secure. He is a business and if it was Ocean Florida or Virgin many people would be disgusted and saying similar. Just because he is a Dibb villa owner doesn’t give him the right to do that. For all we know he could do this left, right and centre but this is the first we have heard of it.

Edited at 12:02 PM.
GrumpyDopey&Me is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread