Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 20 Aug 18, 03:04 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Well I was wrong! I said that pre pay gas would be circa $2.90. It appears I was way out!
$2.78 at 6.00pm today as I drove out.

So pre pay and bring back empty is a pretty good deal as I have always said and most on here agree even if they don't do it themselves.

Very fair price. I hate return empty because I don't like trying to judge how much I should put in during the last few days in order to avoid returning it 3/4 full or having to add small amounts repeatedly. However I totally understand why others would do it and certainly don't consider those prices any kind of scam.
Old 20 Aug 18, 06:45 AM  
Link to this Post
robby-99
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by elmspenguin View Post
$2.78 is a great deal as nearly everywhere around universal and on the way to Florida mall was $2.79 last week, I think I saw one at $2.75 but that’s all.

I am one who always takes back full and fill up at the 7 eleven just before the 417 at the 535 junction and I bet I will pay more that that next week.
That's where I fill up. TBH the only reason I don't prepay is that any fuel left in the tank is fuel you have paid for. I guess I'm tight like that.
robby-99 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 18, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
Very fair price. I hate return empty because I don't like trying to judge how much I should put in during the last few days in order to avoid returning it 3/4 full or having to add small amounts repeatedly. However I totally understand why others would do it and certainly don't consider those prices any kind of scam.
Originally Posted by robby-99 View Post
That's where I fill up. TBH the only reason I don't prepay is that any fuel left in the tank is fuel you have paid for. I guess I'm tight like that.
To be fair I don’t pay for fuel when I rent in the UK (I rent in Derry a lot) but that’s because I never use a full tank and I know where the petrol station is on the way back to the airport. When we rent in Florida I see it as something else pre paid. We’re only going for a week this time and doing only Disney so there’s a good chance we won’t need to put any gas in. I might pay for fuel I don’t use but I’d rather that for the convenience.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 18, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Tracy34
Imagineer

Mobile

We just used Avis... I turned the transponder on the windscreen off.
We pulled up to first toll ..the lady said it's ok..you're good to go...we tried to pay...but no ! ...we showed her it was switched off ..but she was having none of it..
we tried to pay cash a few times..but always told no...you're all set...
We just used the sun pass lane after that.

Just a heads up ..😠
Lindfields 2005, Hillcrest 2008, Sunset Ridge 2009, Windwood Bay 2011, Terrace Ridge 2013, Dallas Texas 2013, Bridgewater Crossing 2014, Terrace Ridge and Siesta Key June 2015, Siesta Key Nov 2015, Terrace Ridge June 2016, Sarasota Oct 2016, Sarasota and Siesta Key July 2017, Sarasota Oct 2017, Siesta Key June 2018, Siesta Key...Key West..Orlando Nov 2018, Siesta Key..Key West...Sarasota June 2019, Sarasota Oct 2019, Sarasota March 2020,
Tracy34 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 18, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
grumpybri
VIP Dibber

Depends who you get at the couner to how they treat you. I’m always friendly and honest with them and firmly say no if I do not want anything. By doing this on my last two visits to Dollar have got cars way above what I paid for.
Old 21 Aug 18, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Blueste
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by paulfoel View Post
Of course, each to his own... BUT

Sorting out insurance beforehand - 30 mins
Arguing with counter agent - 15 mins
Stopping for petrol on way back to airport - 15mins

OK guessing at figures here:-

Own insurance - £125. Car rental insurance @ $20 a day ($280) = £225 approx. Savings £100.

Pre-pay fuel (now I could be wrong here its a guess). Full tank -$90. Pay yourself $30. So $60 saved = £50 approx.

£150 savings for an hours work. hmmm. Now I dont think I get paid £150 an hour so worth it for me.

(Added bonus is insurance covers me for full year for europe also so if I go to spain and hire a car its an added saving).
Some people (myself included) value time more than money, so ultimately it comes down to choice.
I do, however, agree that the agents can be overbearing but most sales people tend to be that way. Usually a polite "no" will suffice, reading between the lines it would seem you have met them with something less than politeness and they have rose to meet you.

Edited at 08:32 AM.
Blueste is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List