Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Apr 17, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

I appreciate it's too early to check for your dates, but Travelbag are doing great rates on Universal hotels, and have been for awhile. E.g. 4 nights (2 rooms - 5 adults in total) at HRH is £1764.02 with Travelbag compared to £1992 with Travel Republic.

In your position, I'd hold off
Old 23 Apr 17, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
I appreciate it's too early to check for your dates, but Travelbag are doing great rates on Universal hotels, and have been for awhile. E.g. 4 nights (2 rooms - 5 adults in total) at HRH is £1764.02 with Travelbag compared to £1992 with Travel Republic.

In your position, I'd hold off
Ooh thanks for the tip! Yes, I'm a big believer in waiting - apart from the Disney booking being done 16 months in advance 🙈
Old 23 Apr 17, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
shelle
Apprentice Imagineer

Have you already booked the Disney stay? It may be worth pricing through a travel agent. It worked out cheaper for us to book via Florida Escapes than through Disney with cashback.
shelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 17, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by shelle View Post
Have you already booked the Disney stay? It may be worth pricing through a travel agent. It worked out cheaper for us to book via Florida Escapes than through Disney with cashback.
I have thank you, but yes, I did get some quotes. I think it the end there was about £100 difference in it. However, as I'm doing DIY I decided I would rather pay the extra and go direct with Disney just for ease of changing any details and not having to go through a 3rd party
Old 24 Apr 17, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
disneytrio
Imagineer

disneytrio's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 13
Good luck, keep us posted.
disneytrio is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 17, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
shawny122
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I don't know whether this would help make it cheaper with the current exchange rate but have you looked into getting one universal annual pass to get a discount on the hotel booking direct with them? The discounts are up to 30% off I think even with the cheapest seasonal pass and you don't need to have the annual pass yet when you book only when you arrive. We've done this a couple of times and it's saved us money on universal stays. Plus if you're eating on site there and got the premier/preferred you'd get all the food discounts? Again I'm not sure how the poor exchange rate will have impacted this but it might be worth looking into
shawny122 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 17, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
loola30
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by shawny122 View Post
I don't know whether this would help make it cheaper with the current exchange rate but have you looked into getting one universal annual pass to get a discount on the hotel booking direct with them? The discounts are up to 30% off I think even with the cheapest seasonal pass and you don't need to have the annual pass yet when you book only when you arrive. We've done this a couple of times and it's saved us money on universal stays. Plus if you're eating on site there and got the premier/preferred you'd get all the food discounts? Again I'm not sure how the poor exchange rate will have impacted this but it might be worth looking into
Interesting... Right, that's my afternoon's 'Admin Yasmin' investigative work sorted! Thanks.
Old 28 Apr 17, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
jo3kids
Proud to wear my Ears

this is good i have worked out instead of costing me 1100 pounds it will cost me 616 pounds but how do you know for sure they will give you the discount
jo3kids is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 17, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaspercat10
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by loola30 View Post
I want to do my 2018 holiday at Yacht Club / Royal Pacific Resort, 2 Adults, 2 Children, in August school holidays for (all in)... £8,500

So far we know that 11 nights Yacht Club + 14 day ultimates is going to come to £6,000 - £189 cashback = £5,811.

That leaves me £2,689 for spending, 3 nights Royal Pacific Resort and Universal Tickets...

But I do love collecting air miles and already have £1,426 worth. I'm aiming to fly with Virgin Direct in August for free

Watch this space...
Hello
So after this thread a month ago, i have been totally inspired by your idea of flying free, or upgrading
So I have converted my tesco points, my amex gold ones, referred my husband to american express gold and opened a black virgin atlantic card,
Can I ask a load of questions
Do I apply for the white virgin card as well ? ( i thought that if you applied for loads of cards it is bad for your credit score ?)
Do I close my gold amex when his application is approved or when it arrives ? and the same for his referring to me in 6 months ?
Does he apply for the other virgin cards also.
Does he need a separate flying club account for his points ? (if so what do you do when you come to book the flights etc.. do you pay the transfer fee for all the points to go into one account ?
And finally once you have had all the bonus miles etc and spent your minimum's is it not better to shop on a Tesco Credit Card as there conversion to airmiles seems better than the other cards ?
Thanks a million you have got me hooked
Old 25 May 17, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by Jaspercat10 View Post
Hello
So after this thread a month ago, i have been totally inspired by your idea of flying free, or upgrading
So I have converted my tesco points, my amex gold ones, referred my husband to american express gold and opened a black virgin atlantic card,
Can I ask a load of questions
Do I apply for the white virgin card as well ? ( i thought that if you applied for loads of cards it is bad for your credit score ?)
Do I close my gold amex when his application is approved or when it arrives ? and the same for his referring to me in 6 months ?
Does he apply for the other virgin cards also.
Does he need a separate flying club account for his points ? (if so what do you do when you come to book the flights etc.. do you pay the transfer fee for all the points to go into one account ?
And finally once you have had all the bonus miles etc and spent your minimum's is it not better to shop on a Tesco Credit Card as there conversion to airmiles seems better than the other cards ?
Thanks a million you have got me hooked
Close your Amex Gold card when the points for your OH referral have come through then wait 6 months. Your OH should then refer you and close their account when the referral points are credited.

I believe that MBNA allow you to have both VA cards, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Opinion is divided on whether opening a number of CCs is advisable. If you leave a reasonable length of time between each one (i.e. don't get 4 a month) I don't think there should be a problem (I haven't had one yet)

You mention Virgin but also airmiles (the BA version). Was that just a typo or are you trying to collect both?

When you attempt to book you should be able to pay for separate flights (each way if required) with separate accounts (you don't need to combine them).