Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 18 Aug 17, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post
W1zz
Apprentice Imagineer

Isn't there an emergency door release under the seat on the right, by the screen. They point this out just before closing the door each ride.

We rode it yesterday and got off Hogsmeade Station at 14:50. The queues then were pretty long. Even with Express Pass, it was a 20 minute wait. Not much cool air blowing either on platform 9 3/4.

I see someone's already added the incident on Wiki

en.m.wikipedia/wiki/Hogw...Orlando_Resort)

local10/news/hogwart...ando-evacuated

Edited at 08:51 AM.
W1zz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Rossalino
Apprentice Imagineer

OMG I feel panicky just reading your post I can't believe there was no intercom, at least that would have been reassuring for people.
Rossalino is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
paulfoel
Imagineer

Yeh surely this would be an issue if there was a fire or something? Its got to have emergency exits or something?

If it was me they could keep the Fast passes - I'd be kicking off big time. They've ruined at least a day, caused lots of stress, possibly spoilt your holiday. I know my 4 year old would never go again if this happened to us.

I'd be pushing for major compensation for this or risk me going to the media about how there are no emergency exits. Minimum lifetime pass to universal and refund of current tickets.
paulfoel is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
curlysue2
Apprentice Imagineer

It broke down when we were there last week, was down for most of the day, but as mentioned they do point out there is an Emergency door release switch under the seat on the right hand side nearest to the screen (Window).

Never know it have trouble before seems that they are having more issues lately.
curlysue2 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

Originally Posted by paulfoel View Post
Yeh surely this would be an issue if there was a fire or something? Its got to have emergency exits or something?

If it was me they could keep the Fast passes - I'd be kicking off big time. They've ruined at least a day, caused lots of stress, possibly spoilt your holiday. I know my 4 year old would never go again if this happened to us.

I'd be pushing for major compensation for this or risk me going to the media about how there are no emergency exits. Minimum lifetime pass to universal and refund of current tickets.
Really?! No-one was hurt, no-one died. These things happen. Not an ideal situation but everyone got out. All the rides running no issues 90% of the time with how ever many 1000s
of people. If you watch the video, the train is actually quite high up, if everyone just got off the emergency exits, next risk is falling off! We always carry drinks with us anyway so would have managed. Not a nice situation for anyone to be in but think your post is a major over reaction! Lifetime pass?!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!

Edited at 10:26 AM.
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post

Totally unacceptable. And floridasgirl, what if there had been a fire? Sounds like staff have had no emergency training whatsoever.
Rides like that should have a "fail safe" - meaning doors etc can be opened manually in an emergency. It's likely it has already been reported but I would certainly be making complaint to the IAAPA :

International Association of
Amusement Parks and Attractions
1448 Duke Street
Alexandria, VA 22314 USA

and a strong complaint to:

Universal Resort Orlando
1000 Universal Studios Plaza Orlando, Florida 32819-7610 USA

Email: iaapa@iaapa.org

Edited at 10:00 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

I'm surprised, even shocked, that their emergency evacuation and 'disaster contingency' plans were ineffective. I'm sure there must be an industry standard and probably a statutory requirement for health and safety. Hopefully they will investigate to see if a major breach has occurred.

Glad you all got out safely.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

Just before i get flamed, im not saying its acceptable but thought the poster i commented on was a bit over the top!
Luckily there wasnt a fire and everyone got off safely and no-one was injured. Im sure Universal have learnt from the situation!
I just think the compensation culture is ridiculous!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
paulfoel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by floridasgirl View Post
Really?! No-one was hurt, no-one died. These things happen. Not an ideal situation but everyone got out. All the rides running no issues 90% of the time with how ever many 1000s
of people. If you watch the video, the train is actually quite high up, if everyone just got off the emergency exits, next risk is falling off! We always carry drinks with us anyway so would have managed. Not a nice situation for anyone to be in but think your post is a major over reaction! Lifetime pass?!
Thats like saying we won't bother with emergency exits because we had a fire last week and everyone walked out the front door with no issues.

Sorry but it took an hour to get people out. What if there had been a fire that caused the problem?

Being stuck in the heat could have caused serious health problems for someone. Imagine if someone with a weak heard or breathing problems had been in there?

Also I can guarantee with people panicking etc that it would be a very long time before my 4 year old daughter would ever go on something like this again.
paulfoel is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
paulfoel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by floridasgirl View Post
Just before i get flamed, im not saying its acceptable but thought the poster i commented on was a bit over the top!
Luckily there wasnt a fire and everyone got off safely and no-one was injured. Im sure Universal have learnt from the situation!
I just think the compensation culture is ridiculous!
LUCKILY is the key word here.

I agree with you about the compensation thing such as people suing McDs because the coffee was hot.

But I've highlighted a very real thing that WOULD have happened if I'd been on there with my family. Apart from the discomfort etc how many people would feel like walking around the park for the rest of the day? So strike that day out.

Like I said, my daughter aged 4, possibly my wife also, would not then be willing to go on ANY other similar rides for the rest of the holiday. If not year after for daughter!

So, bearing in mind, its not just cost me a few $100 to get it. The holiday has cost me over $10-$11K and its now been affected because Universal couldnt cope in an emergency situation.