Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Closed Thread

Old 29 Sep 17, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
We are not cruel Grandparents, but this is what happens when your Granddaughter asks to go on Tower of Terror. Then as it starts to drop decides she hates it!
However she Facetimed her Dad later and squeezed £20 out of him for doing it.

So what do you do when it's the point of no return?

I think my Wife laughing didn't help!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 17, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Niki Mouse
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
We are not cruel Grandparents, but this is what happens when your Granddaughter asks to go on Tower of Terror. Then as it starts to drop decides she hates it!
However she Facetimed her Dad later and squeezed £20 out of him for doing it.

So what do you do when it's the point of no return?

I think my Wife laughing didn't help!
Lol, my son got off Everest crying and said "why did you make me do it?". He was fine before and is proud now that he did it, but says never again.
Niki Mouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 17, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
jemima2
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by alkel2730 View Post
This thread has just reminded me of a situation we had early on in the holiday, I'd blanked it out but DH reminded me.

It was the day after we arrived and we decided to see how the kids would get on in the theme parks by a very short trip to MK. We were staying at the Poly so it was just a short monorail ride.

We let them sleep in until they wanted to and had a lazy morning in the room. Everyone was well rested when we went to MK. I didn't want to push them so we decided to do the people mover first. It was my son's first trip and I wasn't sure how he'd be with rides so we thought a walk on was best. He loved it and was giggling throughout.

We decided to try the carousel of progress next as it's obviously opposite, cool and again no queue. It was busy but we got a nice seat a few rows in. We took my daughter on this at the same age as my son was now and she loved it so we thought it was a safe bet. How wrong were we...

The show started and for a few scenes my son was ok but for some reason at one random point he found it scary and that was it. I did everything in my power to keep him calm, shielded his eyes, got his muslin, got his dummy, sung to him, anything I could but he was just scared. He didn't cry continuously it was intermittent but there was nothing I could do. I couldn't leave as it's moving and we were in a middle row. All I could do was 'shhhh' and comfort him until we could get out. And boy, did I want out of that theatre! My 3yr old daughter on the other hand sat there delightfully and watched it all without a peep.

The thing that really upset me though was you could see I was doing my best but the woman behind was clearly very annoyed. Tutting and sighing and making comments to her husband. I could understand she was upset but I was really stuck. My son had never given me any indication he was scared of the dark or loud noises or anything and I genuinely thought this was a good introductory show.
When it stopped I got up and turned round and apologised to her. I was relieved to see she had a child with her herself so thought she'd appreciate me explaining. I explained that it was his first show and I had no clue he'd be like that I was was deeply sorry he was crying. As I was explaining she walked away from me and then shouted "oh don't worry, I understand. He's just a little brat and you can't control him"
I was so upset, we had to leave the park.
I would have been very upset at this too 😞 why do people feel they can ruin another persons day like that? Everyones at disney , everyones hoping to enjoy themselves. Sounds like there was no reasoning with her anyway even if she had given you a chance. Awful for you ! Horrible person.

OP - no I dont think its neglect or child abuse. As many others have pointed out kids cry at various random moments perhaps unexpected aswell! I have never and plan to not queue for long periods with the boys but best laid plans and all that! Every family and situation is different .
jemima2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 17, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Ha reminds of a train ride in Majorca. A little one that went round in a circle. My son then 3 wanted to ride it so we put him on. Went round first time laughing and waving, went round the second time you would have thought an axe murderer had boarded. He screamed so loud and tears rolling down his face that the ride operator had to emergency stop the train. We were mortified but had to try and calm him down, the looks we got as people walked by were horrendous. Luckily the ride operator was fantastic and we tease our son now about it but at the time you would have thought we had forced him on it. Kids are super strange unpredicatable creatures for sure lol.
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 17, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
captjack
Trying for More Ears

This thread has just reminded me of a situation we had early on in the holiday, I'd blanked it out but DH reminded me.

It was the day after we arrived and we decided to see how the kids would get on in the theme parks by a very short trip to MK. We were staying at the Poly so it was just a short monorail ride.

We let them sleep in until they wanted to and had a lazy morning in the room. Everyone was well rested when we went to MK. I didn't want to push them so we decided to do the people mover first. It was my son's first trip and I wasn't sure how he'd be with rides so we thought a walk on was best. He loved it and was giggling throughout.

We decided to try the carousel of progress next as it's obviously opposite, cool and again no queue. It was busy but we got a nice seat a few rows in. We took my daughter on this at the same age as my son was now and she loved it so we thought it was a safe bet. How wrong were we...

The show started and for a few scenes my son was ok but for some reason at one random point he found it scary and that was it. I did everything in my power to keep him calm, shielded his eyes, got his muslin, got his dummy, sung to him, anything I could but he was just scared. He didn't cry continuously it was intermittent but there was nothing I could do. I couldn't leave as it's moving and we were in a middle row. All I could do was 'shhhh' and comfort him until we could get out. And boy, did I want out of that theatre! My 3yr old daughter on the other hand sat there delightfully and watched it all without a peep.

The thing that really upset me though was you could see I was doing my best but the woman behind was clearly very annoyed. Tutting and sighing and making comments to her husband. I could understand she was upset but I was really stuck. My son had never given me any indication he was scared of the dark or loud noises or anything and I genuinely thought this was a good introductory show.
When it stopped I got up and turned round and apologised to her. I was relieved to see she had a child with her herself so thought she'd appreciate me explaining. I explained that it was his first show and I had no clue he'd be like that I was was deeply sorry he was crying. As I was explaining she walked away from me and then shouted "oh don't worry, I understand. He's just a little brat and you can't control him"
I was so upset, we had to leave the park.
Wow ,what a horrible woman, you have alot more restraint than me.
You never know how kids will react until they try things, we had a fp for goofy’s barnstormers, my wife, my little boy and me, my niece wanted to go on with her cousin, she is under 3 but tall enough so we took her on , she sat next to me and screamed all the way round, shaking abit when we got off, but she was wanted to go on and was fine until we got to the top of the first drop, she had to experience it herself and now she says no i dont like those rides. I wouldn’tof taken her on if she was in a state before we boarded but she was smilling and happy
captjack is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 17, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
As we were landing the woman tapped me on the shoulder and said:
"Can I just say that your children are incredibly well behaved and you are fabulous parents. They are a true credit to you. Especially this little one (and pointed to my daughter). I would sit next to her on every single flight if I could. You should be exceptionally proud of yourselves for raising such lovely children. I'm sorry I misjudged you as I wanted to move when you sat down but it's been a pleasure"

I was proper glowing and feeling all warm and fuzzy but then she said...

"Unlike some parents (and stood up pointing to the other family) who are clearly unfit parents and shouldn't be allowed to breed"
And then she went and spoiled all that positivity and happiness. *sigh* She was so close, sooo close.

There's a famous saying that I think we should all stick to (although I sometimes fail at this) and it goes something like:

"If you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing"

Praise the good stuff, ignore the bad. Isn't that what parents are told?

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 17, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Niki Mouse View Post
Lol, my son got off Everest crying and said "why did you make me do it?". He was fine before and is proud now that he did it, but says never again.
We all enjoy the Simpsons TV show in our family; my daughter being the biggest fan of the lot of us. The first time we all went on the Simpsons ride at Universal DW and myself loved the ride but my daughter hated it. She was scared by the giant chainsaw panda and came off crying.

We had to bribe her with a large teddy bear to go on again.

Now that's child abuse.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 17, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
emmylou
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I really don't get these threads with people saying babies and children shouldn't be taken to Disney World, without them it probably wouldn't exist! Walt/Roy made this place for kids.

We're taking our 9 month old in 3 weeks as part of a big family holiday where there will be 13 of us. I'm mostly excited but reading a couple of threads over the last few days is making me apprehensive

I know it's not going to be easy, my little one has his moments as all babies do, unhelpful and hurtful comments from strangers aren't really going to help the situation...

He might freak out on the rides and when he meets Mickey Mouse but I have no way of knowing that right now. People need to have a little bit more patience and compassion
Old 29 Sep 17, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
dismadbrit
Imagineer

dismadbrit's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13
Originally Posted by mike4scuba View Post
Over the last couple of days on the parks it’s been 32+ degrees and ultra hot standing in line waiting for rides

The amount of small children 5 years and below and babies of around 6 months in these ques that have been crying or been upset because the parents choose to stand in ques for hours on end

Is this not child abuse/neglect

Maybe I am getting old
Child abuse or neglect?

No not at all.
Old 29 Sep 17, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
marialouise
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by emmylou View Post
I really don't get these threads with people saying babies and children shouldn't be taken to Disney World, without them it probably wouldn't exist! Walt/Roy made this place for kids.

We're taking our 9 month old in 3 weeks as part of a big family holiday where there will be 13 of us. I'm mostly excited but reading a couple of threads over the last few days is making me apprehensive

I know it's not going to be easy, my little one has his moments as all babies do, unhelpful and hurtful comments from strangers aren't really going to help the situation...

He might freak out on the rides and when he meets Mickey Mouse but I have no way of knowing that right now. People need to have a little bit more patience and compassion
I hear ya!

in about 5 weeks were taking our 2 year old in a group of 14, 4 of which are kids.

I absolutely expect melt downs - probably daily but then that happens at home. like yesterday when we walked from the car and turned towards our house, he just dropped to the floor raging and I had to carry him in kicking and screaming. as soon as the door closed, he's playing happily with his trains. not how it looked to others i'm sure!