Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 8 Dec 17, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

Sooner or later? Quality vs Quantity?

Just an idle thought, but I wondered what the dibb thought of the following question.

If you had the choice of staying sooner but in a less expensive manner (e.g. Cabana Bay/I-Drive hotels instead of RPR/LPB/HRH or a lesser moderate instead of something more upmarket) would you do it?

Or would you wait and save up to do it "properly" (properly being a very subjective idea.)

Essentially I was thinking about future holidays and I came to the conclusion that I could most likely get back to Orlando in May '19 at a lesser resort or wait till later in 2020 and go for the upper tier again... it's a tough question.

I'm a little worried that having experienced luxury I might have set myself up for very expensive holiday habits. The curse of a "last hurrah" trip I suppose. You pull out all the stops and still want to go back at the end of it...
96/98/03/06/09 - Offsite Kissimmee/I-Drive
17/18 - Universal RPR
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 17, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Very difficult one and no right or wrong answer. To me the main thing with a room is that it is above all else clean, modern, safe and in a good location. Now a load of 'value' place tick all those boxes.
To counter that I have stayed on business trips in so called 4* places that I wouldn't let a dog stay in!

I think the answer lies in additional future visits more so than the 2019 or 2020 one. If you intend to go back a year or two later again I would cut my cloth accordingly and go for the cheaper option. But it would all depend on reviews of said hotel.

In essence my comment has been no use at all.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 17, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
lolalolo86
Imagineer

I would wait to be honest as more new attractions will be open then too. We have purposely waited from 2015 and timed our wedding to be able to go on our honeymoon when we want (September 18) and do it exactly how we wanted in terms of accommodation, length of stay, type of car hire etc. Its been hard not going in between but we had smaller holidays and saved and cannot wait for next year now Before you know it it will be 2020 and you can stay in the hotels you want rather than just where you can afford. Obviously just my opinion. Surely whatever you decide it will be great

Edited at 02:50 PM.
lolalolo86 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 17, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I sleep in my room and am out and about almost all day every day. I am more concerned about location (so long as it is safe and clean) than facilities I won't be there to use. If quality pool time is important to you then it's different but Inn most cases a bedroom is just a bedroom and your eyes will be closed for the majority of the time you are in it !

It's really subjective but that's my personal philosophy.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 17, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
onion2803
Apprentice Imagineer

I agree with Mr Tom...last year we stayed a week in Cabana Bay, a week in Polynesian Club level, a week in a villa and a week split between SSR, WL and AKL - and honestly we missed staying offsite at Clarion Inn LBV by the end of it

If the room (and pool) are clean and spacious enough, I wouldn't think twice about staying in a cheaper hotel in order to go sooner, or to enable us to go more than once!
onion2803 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 17, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
WDWGunner25
slightly serious Dibber

WDWGunner25's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Places like Cabana Bag are supposed to be great, and to be honest you don’t go to Orlando on a normal holiday for the room, so from that side of things I would be tempted to go earlier.

The flip side is the amount of constructions at the park at the moment, but considering your suggested dates are 2019 or 2020, both are quite likely to have a lot of work going on for the 50th anniversary in 2031. Stuff like future world at WORK EPCOT and Tron coater etc.

Personally unless it’s something like a honeymoon where an amazing resort is part of the experience, I’d just want to get out there 😂

Holidays : Calypso Cay Amerisuites - June 2005 Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jan 2008 Comfort Inn Lake Buena Vista - Oct 2008 Howard Johnson Tropical Palms- June 2012 Ros and Jim's Villa - Oct 2013 All Star Sports - January 2014 Yacht Club Resort - October 2018
WDWGunner25 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 17, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Oh yes, I'd absolutely definitely stay at say Cabana Bay instead of say Hard Rock if it meant I could get an extra trip in without a doubt!

I would however think twice about staying somewhere say with not very good reviews as I have to be confident that the hotel will be clean, that it is a safe area and that the hotel has been fairly recently refurbished.

Each to their own though, it's a personal decision.
There are plusses and minuses of going more versus going and doing it in super-style!
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 17, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post

In the budget , more frequently camp. Agree with a PP that you only sleep there, I know it is a common platitude but we have three cheap clean places handy to eateries and main thoroughfares that we choose to use.
Ultimately it is up to the individual.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 17, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Powlay
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 4
I would say i am an example of staying budget so we visit more often.

We hae stayed at the same budget hotel, and to us this is the proper way of doing things rather than spurging and going a lot less often because you go to a disney hotel etc.

The Rodeway is now the rosen, its clean, its safe, and its brilliantly placed. Although nowadays its slightly out of the way on i-drive compared to say pointe orlando Rosen. Its seconds away from the I-4, great for Universal, 15 minutes from Disney, 5 from Sea world. Outlets are 5 and 15 minutes away, 192 20 minutes away, Altamonte 30 minutes drive, Orlando 15 minutes drive on the quiet, Florida mall 15-20 minutes out, Airport 15-20 minutes out.

But to me it all depends on what YOU want to do. If you're not bothered about driving, want disney and hotel pool every day then its not for you. If you drive, want to experience more than just the bubble then its ideal. And budget as you said means more often or in my case more mountain dew
Old 8 Dec 17, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

Cheers for all of your thoughts guys, it's definitely a quandary. I'm starting to lean towards a Cabana Bay stay, just as I quite like the style of the resort and it's coming out £1k cheaper just for me on package sites than RPR or similar hotels.

Starting to pull together a list of prices, at least it gives me something to do, and helps illustrate exactly how much more you are paying for staying at a nicer hotel - and in some cases it doesn't seem worth it as you were saying. Only thing I might miss are the FOTL passes from RPR, but if I go at a quiet time of year like we did last year we should be able to manage without.

Definitely starting to realise the deal I got last year was a cracker - £1800 for 2 weeks RPR with premium flights. Looks like about £2.6k for next year - quite a jump!

Much thinking to be done...
96/98/03/06/09 - Offsite Kissimmee/I-Drive
17/18 - Universal RPR
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List