Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 7 Feb 18, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Shani
Imagineer

We're in North Wales, so Manchester is our closest airport (or Dublin if it's as the crow flies).

Travelling to any other airport is just not feasible, as it's already 2 hours to Manchester plus then the distance from Manchester to other airports.

There are 5 of us, and we can't fit all 5 of us and 5 cases and hand luggage into our car, so we get transport to the airport - the added travel cost (and the time) makes any savings from other airports seem not worthwhile.
2022 - Margaritaville & RPR --- 2023 - Villa & RPR & Surfside
Shani is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Formularog
Trainee Dibber

Mobile

We're flying man to lhr then taxi to gat then gat to Mco, saved us around £2500 compared to man or Gatwick direct so don't mind the taxi fare! Strange how they work out their pricing as Gatwick flight out is same as if we had booked to go direct but because we are connecting from man it's so much cheaper!
Formularog is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
signtalker
Imagineer

We have to travel to all airports as our local airport doesn’t fly to many places and definitely not direct.
We live in Norfolk , so we drive to Manchester as we seem to get better prices from there, we also drive to Gatwick and Heathrow, always between a 3/4/5 hour journey easily with traffic, so we always travel down the night before incase of any traffic jams.

Jules
signtalker is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I will go wherever the cheap flights are ! Otherwise we would never be able to afford to go anywhere.
Last year we went to Florida from Gatwick and thought it would be about 5 hours but it was more like 7 ! It was still worth it though. The flights were half the price of Manchester.
This year travelling from Glasgow which I think should be about 4 hours. I just have the attitude that I will put myself out if the price is right !
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

I live about a 20 minute drive from Manchester airport. Straight on the motorway where I live and then off at Manchester, really close and not any hassle to get to. I wouldn’t consider anywhere else unless flights were half the price.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

we live about 1hr and 15 mins from Manchester (If there was no major traffic!) however it can very often take much longer to get there / home as the M62 and M60 are a nightmare at peak times, so it is easily more like 1.30-1.45 mins (It has taken us longer than that) and even then I hate the journey from Man Airport to home, we never drive (as landing usually around 7am means a very long busy drive home!) and usually get a taxi (either proper paid one or Dads taxi ) home (which means we usually do the same going as well). I think that drive is bad enough so personally I / we certainly wouldn't want to Drive to another airport further than Manc for us.

We do live very close to Leeds Bradford airport (about 15/20 mins if no traffic and a very straight forward quiet route) so if I could get a flight Leeds > "another uk airport" > Florida at a very good price I would do that as the drive home from Leeds Bradford is very quick for us, but so far... there hasn't been that availability at a worthwile price!

Touch wood so far all the cheapest fares I have found have been from Manchester so it's been ok - Last time we did Thomas Cook > MIA from MAN which was good but I think they have canned off that route as I couldn't find it this year so doing MAN>LHR>MIA and returning.

Edited at 11:31 AM.
OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Greyfriars
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by klr15 View Post
I live about a 20 minute drive from Manchester airport. Straight on the motorway where I live and then off at Manchester, really close and not any hassle to get to. I wouldn’t consider anywhere else unless flights were half the price.
Same here, we live in Warrington so less than half an hour to Manchester. I certainly wouldn't travel south on the M6 at the moment as it has been closed frequently over the last year. Smart motorway my ****!
Old 7 Feb 18, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

where i live (notts) its approx 3 hours to gatwick, but past experiences have been nearer to 4 hours due to roadworks/traffic/etc

manchester is two hours from mine, so i suspect youre looking at nearer 4-5 hours from yours unless you do it at 2 in the morning.

we did it the first few trips as the flights were loads cheaper... but then i nearly crashed on the drive home, even though i slept most of the flight - someone in front slammed their brakes on for no reason, and i nearly went into the back of them. had i been even slightly more tired, it would have ended badly.

after that, plus overnight hotel and parking costs, and we decided to fly from manchester instead. average flight prices were about £75 more than gatwick, but that was offset by the parking cost saving (not needing to stay overnight too - we could just drive up there at 6am) and the fact we shaved 2 hours each way off the journey.

we now fly from east midlands when possible, which is even more convenient (half an hour in a taxi, or an hour on the bus)... again, its more expensive than manchester (generally - as there is only one flight a week via tui whereas manc has multiple flights per day) but again, convenience more than makes up for the extra cost.

if i were you (and that far north), i wouldnt even consider gatwick unless i was absolutely flat broke and looking for the cheapest possible flights for a bunch of people
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I'll go from any airport so long as the price, timings and total travel time is OK.

I'd rather travel by taxi to LHR than get an air shuttle from MAN to LHR if the transatlantic element departed from London.

But that's just me
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

10 minutes in a cab if no traffic!

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18
MariaLynda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List