Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 7 Feb 18, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
sprocket
Imagineer

Mr Tom, my wife cleans all around her because she is a clean freak, but when it comes to planes, oh boy, everyone should be going on with a full cleaning kit.
The only flights we have never had to clean were AA planes, they were spotless, but the things we have found on other flights, would turn you.
The worst was a Virgin flight that was late in, so they didnt have time to properly clean the flight before take off. If I had nut allergies, or any allergy, I think I would be worried. Packets squashed into every gap, food between the seats, couldnt describe what was on the IFE screens.

Yes I can go 8 hours without nuts, but when you dont live with the issue, you tend to pack comfort foods that you know will keep you going for 8 hours without really thinking about others. Can I eat a snickers bar? can i open a packet that says 'may contain nuts'? can I have nutella? Can I eat my grain bread sandwiches I made? sorry I just dont know. So if an air hostess says someone has an allergy, this isnt good enough. People need to know what that actually means.

This is why a lot of airlines say they wont announce anything because they havent trained their own staff to understand. Once they make an announcement, then the airline are taking responsibility.

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
We both clean our IFE screen the tray and basically anywere around us with the heated flannels they give you (after wiping our hands and faces)

When they get our towels back they are black! Then my Wife starts with her hand gel on tissues. Planes are filthy.
Aug 2017 - RPR & AKL, Oct 2019 - HRH & BC
Oct 2022 - RPR, Poly & AKL

Edited at 01:49 PM.
sprocket is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Is it just peanuts or all nuts? I love eating honey roast cashews on journeys but obviously wouldn't in that sort of environment if other people were affected. Thanks.

Edited at 02:58 PM.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
Is it just peanuts or all nuts? I love eating honey roast cashews on journeys but obviously wouldn't in that sort of environment if other people were affected. Thanks.
I don't know. Interesting question as I would like to know now you have raised it.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Lynda
Imagineer

Lynda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Peanuts are not really a nut although they cause the most dangerous allergies ie anaphylactic shock.

definition of a peanut is it is a legume.

Peanut Facts. ... Peanuts grow underground, as opposed to nuts like walnuts, almonds, etc. that grow on trees and these are botanically considered drupes. Peanuts, along with beans and peas, belong to the single plant family, Leguminosae. Legumes are edible seeds enclosed in pods.
Old 7 Feb 18, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

It is not just nuts on the current flight to be worried about - the possibility for contamination by previous occupants on a plane is great.

My sister took a "sweetie" off her youngest one year - she had found it down the side of the seat - a warfarin tablet...
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Kate0407
Getting to know the DIBB

Mobile

We are flying with Virgin in April and they’ve been very good in providing a fruit only meal for my daughter who has anaphylactic allergies to Nut and Egg. They will also be making an announcement on board requesting that people refrain from consuming nut products on board.

I have three children and two of them have the same life threatening allergies. My daughter stop breathing at 9 Months old when we discovered her nut allergy.

Ignorant comments help no one and they certainly don’t detract from the fact that if u choose to sit in a metal tube miles in the sky and ignore what has been requested of you, god forbid your holiday might be soured by the death of a fellow passenger mid air.
Kate0407 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by robby-99 View Post
I never knew that Virgin at a nut policy. I eat them on every plane journey I take unless an announcement is made.
But if you are so allergic to nuts that if someone eating them in your vicinity is a danger how do you even leave the house? How can you make sure that no vehicle you travel in has had no one just vacate it who was eating nuts?
If you feel the beginnings of a reaction on the ground it is usually relatively easy to remove yourself from the source by leaving the bus or building and seek medical attention quickly , even calling 999 etc if needed. These options tend not to be available in a metal tube at 35,000 feet. I'm quite surprised you think it's the same situation.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Bubbasmum
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I don't know. Interesting question as I would like to know now you have raised it.
Depends

I go into shock with all nuts. YOu might hear some people refer to peanuts and tree nuts as they are two different types of nuts.

Although they are completely different some people react to both... some to one or the other.

As a precautionary advice many people are told that if they are allergic to one type... avoid all. However, after tests... I am greedy and am indeed allergic to all !

POFQ 2006
DLP Hotel New York 2010 & 2011
OKW 2013
Championsgate 2014
Disneyland Hotel at Disneyland Paris 2015
Disney Magic Cruise - Barcelona 2015
Disney Magic Cruise - Norwejian Fjords 2016
SSR 2016, SSR 2018
Bubbasmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Bubbasmum
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Kate0407 View Post
We are flying with Virgin in April and they’ve been very good in providing a fruit only meal for my daughter who has anaphylactic allergies to Nut and Egg. They will also be making an announcement on board requesting that people refrain from consuming nut products on board.

I have three children and two of them have the same life threatening allergies. My daughter stop breathing at 9 Months old when we discovered her nut allergy.

Ignorant comments help no one and they certainly don’t detract from the fact that if u choose to sit in a metal tube miles in the sky and ignore what has been requested of you, god forbid your holiday might be soured by the death of a fellow passenger mid air.

Oh goodness, it's just so nerve wracking. When my son first started school I think that was the hardest bit trusting that other people would keep him safe for all those hours a day. Luckily I had nothing to worry about as they have been amazing... high school next year... ARGH !

POFQ 2006
DLP Hotel New York 2010 & 2011
OKW 2013
Championsgate 2014
Disneyland Hotel at Disneyland Paris 2015
Disney Magic Cruise - Barcelona 2015
Disney Magic Cruise - Norwejian Fjords 2016
SSR 2016, SSR 2018
Bubbasmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Redsnapper
Imagineer

It sounds like its taking a big risk getting on a narrow metal tube with 200 strangers when you have an extreme allergy - and expecting these strangers to ALL think about your safety.

Many, many people these days only think about themselves - not sure I would enter what has been described above as a potentially life threatening situation so that I could take a holiday in Florida - on the hope that some idiot doesn't decide to crack open the mega bag of KP two seats behind me.

On a side note - not sure what it is about the MCO flight but I have literally lost count of the number of medical issues that have occurred over the years on our flights.

Two of our last three flights over have ended with a passenger being wheeled off by ambulance crew before the rest of the passengers on arrival.

The time before that someones daughter feinted in the toilet and the mother went absolutely hysterical and had to be calmed down by the crew (the girl was fine). Never yet had to turn back though...

Edited at 06:50 PM.
Redsnapper is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List